• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Soft Tyvek

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

I have carried a 5' x 8' sheet of soft Tyvek for years. It is suitable for a ground cloth, a blanket, or a privacy curtain. It is washable, folds quite small, and weighs only a few ounces. It seems to add about 10 degrees of warmth as a blanket. I treat it with permethrin, so it is a bed bug repelling sheet or blanket. You can find it offered on eBay, or get a thirty-foot end-roll here for $75:

http://www.materialconcepts.com/products/tyvek/uv-soft/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-White-SOFT ... 27c301ec0f

The exterior Tyvek used as a vapor barrier in construction is stiffer and heavier, but still makes a great ground cloth. Don't buy it by mistake.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This lighter weight Tyvek is great stuff; I bought mine from a kite-supply shop on Amazon.com. Makes a great bedsheet, and the end-trimmings make a terrific small sit-upon to protect the pack bottom and keep the trousers cleaner. I agree whole heartedly with Falcon.

Hi falcon269 & Kitsambler,
Sounds really good.
Could you answer a couple of questions for me, regarding Soft Tyvek.
Is it soft in the sense that it doesn't "rustle" when you move on it, under your sleeping bag.
Is it soft as in flexible so it folds double/triple to go in your pack.
Even though soft is it "tough" enough to be a gound sheet on dirtand/or damp ground
Regards
Col

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it soft in the sense that it doesn't "rustle" when you move on it, under your sleeping bag. Reasonably quiet. Not as quiet as a wool blanket, but much, much quieter than a plastic bag. I doubt that anyone else can hear you shift underneath it.
Is it soft as in flexible so it folds double/triple to go in your pack.My sheet folds to about the size and weight of a wallet.
Even though soft is it "tough" enough to be a ground sheet on dirt and/or damp groundYes. Read the spec sheet. It is virtually tear proof, and is a moisture barrier of construction grade, which means it lasts for decades. If you want just a ground sheet, the hard Tyvek would be superior, but heavier.

Thank you falcon269 for the detailed reply, much appreciated.
I had never heard of it, but an online search revealed that it is avaiable in Australia, it appears that most of the "bushwalking" forums rave about it.
However, seems it is rather expensive over here, groups apparently buy rolls for a club/forum and sell it off the roll to their members.
Seems that Ebay, as you mentioned, is the best option for buying it, even with shipping.
Again, thanks for the advice.
Col

Thanks for the info on this. I had never run across any mention of it before.
Does it only come in white? I would suspect so but seems it will get pretty sketchy after a little use.
Do you take the 4.5 x 8' size?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Yes, 4.5' x 8'. It only comes in white. It stays pretty clean, but I wash it on my return from a Camino. The hard Tyvek always has printing on one side, so with the soft Tyvek, you don't advertise the product everywhere you go. The soft Tyvek also is used to make protective suits, rain suits (Frogg Toggs), hats, envelopes, and hundreds of other products. Those tough envelopes you get that you cannot tear open, they are Tyvek. I had a friend who stitched some lightweight insulating fabric (Insul Bright) to soft Tyvek and had a pretty nice, very warm, very light, sleeping sack.

Most read last week in this forum

In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
Any places to grab some before/during the Camino Frances? Don't think I'll be able to grab any in advance.
Best app to keep family and friends updated on your Camino whereabouts?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back