• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sometimes Pilgrims break the law

Dash

The day was to have a lot of adventure and some important sites to me.
First was crossing a train track over a bridge to Morgo. Our options were to walk a lot of kilometers around the water or wait for a train and buy a ticket. Everyone wanted to just cross the bridge. So here I was with a pack of pilgrims ages 77-29 breaking the law. We waited for a train to go over and made our move; just as we got over, another train was coming in the other direction and he gave us a good blast of the horn. We renegade pilgrims waved hi at everyone on the train and continued on with significant time saved thanks to our move.
Excerpt from my blog:
https://caminodelnorte2015.wordpress.com/

I do not condone or recommend this behavior :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A local was in the middle of the bridge fishing from it when I crossed. There was reports in 2012 that the police were going to crack down on people crossing and this year the same was mentioned as well. Someone in head office needs to let the guys who are out and about in to what they say at their press meetings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is an option to find the train station and ride across and get off.
Not a simple operation...besides it would be too much of a temptation to stay on the train for a bit longer. :cool:

As I recall, this is not a very long bridge. We crossed it based on the Albergue owner recommending we take this approach. It was no where near being very dangerous, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I Scuba Dive I do so on remote areas only accessible after days at sea. It would never occur to me to engage in dangerous diving practices. Not for my safety as much as I feel I do not have the right to ruin other people's trip. I applied this to the Mogro bridge: while I can put myself at risk, I do not have the right to cause an accident that will put others at risk, delay their emergency trip somewhere, etc. Just get on the train. And while you are there, visit Piedad and her albergue 25 m. from the Boo train stop. Bed already made for you, real towels, sunroof to rest on.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The lady in the Albergue in Boo suggested we take the train. When I asked about buying a ticket she just laughed. The worst they can do, she said, was ask you to get off at the next stop. She had a fair point. We got off at the next stop.

The lady in the Albergue in Boo suggested we take the train. When I asked about buying a ticket she just laughed. The worst they can do, she said, was ask you to get off at the next stop. She had a fair point. We got off at the next stop.
That does sound like Piedad! ;0)

Joe...no danger at all...if a train does not come while you are on it.:eek:

Grayland:

Here is a picture I took from the other side as my friend walked across. A fairly short walk (no more than 100m) with a generous walkway, imo. You never walk on the tracks.

I am not trying to encourage anyone to do this, just giving you a perspective from someone who has walked across. If anyone has a concern, they should take the train.

Ultreya,
Joe

Attachments

• 2014 075.JPG
    2014 075.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The day was to have a lot of adventure and some important sites to me.
First was crossing a train track over a bridge to Morgo. Our options were to walk a lot of kilometers around the water or wait for a train and buy a ticket. Everyone wanted to just cross the bridge. So here I was with a pack of pilgrims ages 77-29 breaking the law. We waited for a train to go over and made our move; just as we got over, another train was coming in the other direction and he gave us a good blast of the horn. We renegade pilgrims waved hi at everyone on the train and continued on with significant time saved thanks to our move.
Excerpt from my blog:
https://caminodelnorte2015.wordpress.com/

I do not condone or recommend this behavior :)
I faced the same choice on Wednesday. The train Boo train station is RIGHT THERE - go left instead of right after the the bridge - take a left at the FEVE sign 150m down the road. They run 2 minutes after every half hour (during the week). It's less than 2 minutes to Mogro. They didn't charge me but if they did it would have been 1 Euro, paid on the train.

Seriously taking the train is so easy.

Last edited:
It might unfortunately need a casualty for pilgrims to be stopped but .....
Seriously taking the train is so easy.
I think that some people ( me included) might think exactly that and walk because of that reason, it does not make it right. I have walked over once and took the train once, not sure what I would do next time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back