• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Somewhere to stay in Roncesvalles

AnnaandChelle

Hello fellow Pilgrims,
My friend and I are starting our pilgrimage next week (11th October) from Roncesvalles, and we are looking for somwehere to stay the night (or two) before we start. My friend is flying in from Australia the night before, so we will need something with a little bit of comfort (ie, not a tent) for her to get some rest.

Does anyone have names or contact details of any places.

Thanks for you help,
Anna (and Michelle)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have last year's CSJ guide which is now up dated - it only costs ÂŁ6 - it lists a Refugio and two Hotels: Casa Sabina Tele 948 760 012 and La Posada 948 760 225. 3kms further on in Burguete there are a number of other options. Buy the guide - you can do it on line or call them :)

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We stayed at a nice apartment for one night when we were there. I believe it was 65 euro. We booked the room at the restaurant where you get pilgrims meals. It wasn't La Posada so it must have been the other place. They probably have something less expensive but that was the only thing they had available that night and the other place was booked.

I believe that the albergue I stayed in in 2002 has now been converted into a private hotel-apartment. See http://www.casadebeneficiados.com/ . This must have coincided with the opening of the old granary across the street, which is now the albergue (at least I think it used to be a granary). Rooms in the newly renovated space are a bit pricey, but might be a nice place to rest up to get over jet lag before starting to walk.

Laurie

That is the one we stayed in. Very nice and clean. It felt wonderful to be able to take a nice hot shower after being so cold and completely drenched walking from SJPP. One of the few times we treated ourselves to a private room.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The La Posada hotel is quite good. Rooms around 40euros in May, but do ask for one with a TV especially if you're staying more than one night. Nice restaurant and bar attached, and Pilgrim menu available.

Can someone explain what Is a CSJ guide and how do I order it online.

thanks
niel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Niel,
The CSJ stands for the Confraternity of St James - an organisation formed in London in 1983. They publish small (40 X A4 pages folded into an A3 booklet) guides for most of the camino routes in France and Spain. Most cost about ÂŁ6.
Roncesvalles is basically an Augustinian monastery complex. The hospice was moved down the mountain from the Ibaneta Pass in 1132. You will find a lot of interesting info on their website at: http://www.roncesvalles.es/

Niel, the new CSJ guide comes out in January, so hold off ordering until the new ones are printed. Each year, they update the information based on emails received during the previous season. I sent in an email & was told that I was the first one to tell them about the 2nd albergue in Logrono. :)

If you can afford it, also look into getting Brierley's guide as well. I use that & CSJ together.

Kelly

WolverineDG said:
If you can afford it, also look into getting Brierley's guide as well. I use that & CSJ together.

I brought both of these as well, but ended up giving away my CSJ guide to another pilgrim in Roncesvalles. The CSJ guide is mostly text, and I liked Brierley's maps and photos - I found them to be inspirational and helpful.

Plus, I was shedding weight, so anything unnecessary had to go. Brierley's guide was more than adequate, although it probably would've been optimal to have the CSJ source, since it's a bit more up-to-date. But you'll be surprised at what you can go without when your feet are hurting like mad... :wink:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Vino, here is what I did on my jaunt in September: I made copies of the pages that I needed, then used the back sides of them for my journal. I realize that those folks going the entire way wouldn't be able to use this method, but what you can do is take off the cover & the 40-plus pages in the middle that are just basic information. Every ounce counts! :)

Kelly

WolverineDG said:
Vino, here is what I did on my jaunt in September: I made copies of the pages that I needed, then used the back sides of them for my journal.

That's an excellent idea! Not only do you have your notes, but you have the guidebook to (literally and figuratively) back them up and spur additional memories. And you save weight & space too - nicely done... :)

Thanks guys but to late I already oredered the CSJ guide, so what should I do

niel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Niel

The CSJ guide is all you will need - it has all of the stages, details of accomodation, both albergues and hostals and hotels and some information about each of the places. If you don't wish to carry another guide book with more historical info etc. read about it in advance and in some albergues there is considerable information available.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back