• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean Pied de Port or Honto/Orisson

brettfang

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first Camino in May/June this year. I still can't decide whether to stay in St Jean for one night or carry on walking to either Honto or Orisson for a night just to cut the next day short. I'm planning to take the first TGV avialable from Paris in the morning to go to Bayonne anyway, I haven't booked ticket though because it is too early.

I really like to stay in St Jean for one night, because it looks like a pretty little town to me; and somebody recommended some place for me to stay. But just a bit concerned about Pyrenees.

Any thoughts?

Buen Camino.
Fangx2 :?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Really depends on how much time you have for the whole camino and your fitness. Personally, when I started in St. Jean, I had never walked more than 10 km's. So I spent the first night in St. Jean (because our train arrived at 21.45h) and the next day walked 10 km's to Orisson, where I spent the night.

In my situation, staying at Orrison was very beneficial. Because the walk to Orisson is only 2-3 hours, in the morning you still have time to look around in St. Jean, you can really take it easy while walking, you get to experience the lovely hospitality of Orrisson ánd you get to totally enjoy the walk to Roncesvalles the next day.

Splitting up the walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles 'costs' you a day. I had all the time so I could do it. If you're not an experienced walker and you have enough time, I really recommend it staying at Orisson.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you have the time, I would recommend heading up to Huntto. It is great for getting over jet lag. It is just a couple of hours. It is not crowded like Orisson because it is too short a distance for those starting early in SJPdP. No tents; it is all hotel or gite. The operators are great cooks and make a fantastic evening meal (and breakfast). And a major portion of the climb is behind you. It is underutilized, so you won't need reservations (but make them anyway).

http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
brettfang said:
Thanks guys! I think I will head up to Huntto on the day when I arrive at SJPDP.
May is one of the busiest months for SJPP starts. Just to be on the safe side, when you go to the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP to get your credential and/or first stamp, you can ask them to call and reserve a spot for you at Huntto. Like Orisson, Hontto does fill up in peak times.
Nancy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Huntto is 5km up the hill and Orisson 8km.

brettfang said:
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my first Camino in May/June this year. I still can't decide whether to stay in St Jean for one night or carry on walking to either Honto or Orisson for a night just to cut the next day short. I'm planning to take the first TGV avialable from Paris in the morning to go to Bayonne anyway, I haven't booked ticket though because it is too early.

I really like to stay in St Jean for one night, because it looks like a pretty little town to me; and somebody recommended some place for me to stay. But just a bit concerned about Pyrenees.

Any thoughts?

Buen Camino.
Fangx2 :?

Hi
just booked what I think is the first TGV out of Paris ( Montparnasse) 7.28 (£30) for April 3rd
gets into Bayonne some time after 12 am the next train to SJPdP I think is after 2pm which will get you into SJPdP around 4pm the hill from the station to the town center is a walk in itself-pilgrim office maybe a bit of shopping you will be looking at starting walking around 5pm which I won't be doing myself.
the reasons being I think you have to be flexible, the route in May has seen snow drifts in the past I like to keep my options open as to which route I walk and just go with the flow, I don't believe in booking places, too ridged too governed by the clock, in pursuit of gaining a day its possible to lose so much of what the Camino has to offer.
having said all that when I first walked this way in 2009 I was so worried that I booked places in Bayonne,SJPdP,and Orisson 3 nights BB and just 8Km walked :)
"Ah but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now"
Ian

Does anyone know of a great place to stay in SJPdP? We will be arriving there on May 24, 2015. Trying to figure it out online, but wanted to see if anyone had preferences. I'm cutting it close as it is, yes?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back