• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Start the Vezelay in July - Pilgrim accommodation and refugees

Steven B

Old occasional walker
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP, Le Puy, Next the Via Feancegina
Hi All,
Flight booked so will be starting the Camino Via Lemovicensis (Vezelay) from Vezelay to SJPDP starting on the 12 July.
I have been coming across information that the pilgrim accommodations on this route are now hosting Ukrainian refugees.
Can anyone advise how the available pilgrim accommodation has been affected between Vezelay and SJPDP. Do they still keep space available for pilgrims etc.
Thanks in advance

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,
Flight booked so will be starting the Camino Via Lemovicensis (Vezelay) from Vezelay to SJPDP starting on the 12 July.
I have been coming across information that the pilgrim accommodations on this route are now hosting Ukrainian refugees.
Can anyone advise how the available pilgrim accommodation has been affected between Vezelay and SJPDP. Do they still keep space available for pilgrims etc.
Thanks in advance
Hi Steven,I have walked this route but not recently.I think your best bet for up to date information would be either at the Pilgrim Gite in Vezelay and or the Pilgrim Reception Office a few doors down from the Gite .I am assuming you will stay in the Pilgrim Gite which is excellent.
There are not as many pilgrims on this route as the majority of french people prefer the route from Le Puy.
As you know you can choose to go by Bourge or Nevers.
Like you I have read that Ukrainian refugees were being hosted in some gites.I have every confidence that you will get all the relevant information in Vezelay.
Don't worry you will get a place to stay.
Bon Chemin et Bon Courage.

Steven B.

For additional pilgrim accommodation when you get to France in the tourist offices ask about the donativo Chaîne d'Hospitalité Locale

Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them. During past years my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse facing the Marne river as part of the local Chaine. My first pilgrim shell hung at the door marking it as a pilgrim place.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Steven B.

For additional pilgrim accommodation when you get to France in the tourist offices ask about the donativo Chaîne d'Hospitalité Locale

Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them. During past years my husband and I ran a b&b/pilgrim house in our farmhouse facing the Marne river as part of the local Chaine. My first pilgrim shell hung at the door marking it as a pilgrim place.
Thanks MSpath I have not used the Chaine d'hospital locale before. will check out your link. Thank you

Thanks MSpath I have not used the Chaine d'hospital locale before. will check out your link. Thank you
The link which I sent you describes the idea and ideals of the Chaine but provides specific info for Département 51 or the Marne. Hence this link does not provide info for the area of Vezelay which is Département 89 or l'Yonne.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Communal Gîte at Sancoins has been closed due to Ukrainian refugees "CLOSED FROM DECEMBER 1, 2022 TO MARCH 31, 2023. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING." It does not say if it has opened again. I am planning on walking through Sancoins and stopping at Augy-sur-Aubois. Will see if it is still closed when I go past.

I am now getting quite worried about accommodation availability walking from Vezelay in July. So I thought I would check out the accommodation available using the Voie de Vezelay Resources guide 08 Apr 2023.
Starting from Vezelay. No confirmation in Vezelay I plan to just go to the Centre Sainte-Madeleine on the 12 July when I arrive. The first 2 nights from Vezelay are OK. However the refuge municipal in Corbigny is full (which started the alarm bels ringing) but I managed to get a pilgrims bed in Anthien. Now nothing seems available or I have not received a response the following 5 Days! I wanted to keep my pack light as my knees are not good but it seems that it may be a good idea to take a tent? Should I postpone the walk until after August or just take my chances?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am now getting quite worried about accommodation availability walking from Vezelay in July. So I thought I would check out the accommodation available using the Voie de Vezelay Resources guide 08 Apr 2023.
Starting from Vezelay. No confirmation in Vezelay I plan to just go to the Centre Sainte-Madeleine on the 12 July when I arrive. The first 2 nights from Vezelay are OK. However the refuge municipal in Corbigny is full (which started the alarm bels ringing) but I managed to get a pilgrims bed in Anthien. Now nothing seems available or I have not received a response the following 5 Days! I wanted to keep my pack light as my knees are not good but it seems that it may be a good idea to take a tent? Should I postpone the walk until after August or just take my chances?
I would just take my chances. July is not a busy month, May and September are the busiest. I would ask my hosts for suggestions. Sometimes they know someone that is not listed, say, in the Miam Miam Dodo. Are you on Facebook? There are several Vezelay groups there that might help you out at a pinch. This one is anglophone https://m.facebook.com/groups/889427117841069/?ref=share&mibextid=SDPelY

I would just take my chances. July is not a busy month, May and September are the busiest. I would ask my hosts for suggestions. Sometimes they know someone that is not listed, say, in the Miam Miam Dodo. Are you on Facebook? There are several Vezelay groups there that might help you out at a pinch. This one is anglophone https://m.facebook.com/groups/889427117841069/?ref=share&mibextid=SDPelY
Thanks, I walked Le Puy in June / July in 2018 and only had a couple of issues with listed accommodation where the hosts were on vacation but otherwise was no problem. My concern is July August are the French holidays as pilgrims accommodation is currently uncertain I checked booking.com most places are unavailable already. those that are available are not on the route or expensive. Taking my chances is the likely outcome. I will check the facebook groups

Thanks, I walked Le Puy in June / July in 2018 and only had a couple of issues with listed accommodation where the hosts were on vacation but otherwise was no problem. My concern is July August are the French holidays as pilgrims accommodation is currently uncertain I checked booking.com most places are unavailable already. those that are available are not on the route or expensive. Taking my chances is the likely outcome. I will check the facebook groups
Booking.com usually only has a few of the available rooms in a particular hotel or gite so even if it says "full" there may be space. It is always best to call directly. Also a few days in advance is usually sufficient.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When you are at L'Esprit du Chemin in Anthien, you may meet Arno, who is one of the maintainer of https://www.voiedevezelay.eu/en .
He may be able to help in contacting further hosts for you.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

When you are at L'Esprit du Chemin in Anthien, you may meet Arno, who is one of the maintainer of https://www.voiedevezelay.eu/en .
He may be able to help in contacting further hosts for you.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.
Thank you. I have had a couple of responses now and they both told me not to worry :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back