• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting El Norte from Biarritz - Suggestions please

Gypsea Moon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Everyone, Arriving in Biarritz Airport 23 August mid afternoon, would truly welcome any suggestion on how to start from there to El Norte Camino (then Primitivo)
Spending the night in Biarritz doesnt seem mandatory to me (not extra rush either)... ?

Where to start walk or stay on arrival? Bus? other?

Villages or albergues to start with, not to be missed, suggested itineraries...
Any sharing really appreciated. Thanks a lot :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello gypsy moon.
I arrive on the 26th in Biarritz to do the NC. My plan is to arrive at 3ish from london, get the train to Irun which departs 5.45 then stay the night in the municipal albergue in Irun. Pick up my passport and hopefully say hello to a few fellow camino walkers then set out to San sebastion early the next morning.
I have the cicerone guide for well being but i do like to walk my own if you know what i mean, it's an adventure.
I think it may be quite wet some days from research so I'm prepared for most eventualities and i reckon my pack will be about 8k.
I only walked the Camino Frances in may this year so I'm lucky to know exactly what i need.
i may catch you up and say hello.
Enjoy your walk Moon.... Buen camino.

Hi Gipsy Moon,

You have a couple of options. The 816 bus runs from the airport to Hendaye, departing every half-hour I believe. It's quite inexpensive. From Hendaye, you could walk across the border into Irún or take the metro.

You could also pick up the Voie Littorale just outside of the airport and walk straight from there. The easiest approach would be to take a local bus from the airport to the Biarritz train station, which the VL goes directly past. From there, it's roughly 32km to Hendaye.

That's obviously far too much for an afternoon arrival! But, there is a youth hostel soon after the train station, and accommodation options (likely on the more expensive end of things) in Bidart (5km from the station) or St Jean de Luz (18km, if you were really motivated).

Given the challenging start of the Camino del Norte, some like having a bit of flat walking as a warmup, and this certainly offers that. If you want to consider the VL option, the Confraternity of St James has a guidebook on their site that can be downloaded for a donation.

Dave

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's the timetable for the bus
http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/cg64-tiu64-fh105x150-816_ete-fr_ok_web.pdf

You should take it to Hendaye Gare then walk across the bridge to Irun - best use Google maps to find the route to the albergue - alternatively there are arrows from Irun train station towards the albergue

Very unlikely that the BM supermercado just up from the albergue will be open on Sunday evening - but probably worth catching it when it opens on Monday morning

But 8kg still seems to me to be on the heavy side - a silk sleeping liner will be fine instead of a sleeping bag at this time of year

Mike

Welcome to the forum. :)

I suggest to surf the post regarding the Camino del Norte. You´ll find loads of useful info.

If you know Spanish or even if you don´t download the Eroski Consumer app onto your smartphone. It gives all sorts of info like distances between towns, albergue, etc.

I also recommend to take it easy the first 4 days of your Camino. Not only due to your jet lag but because it´s an up and down "stroll" ( lovely landscape but hard on your knees and ankles).

If you still survive ;), let me know when your arriving to Bilbo ( I live here) and we might be able to have a txacoli and pintxo.

Ondo Ibili !

Thank you MendiWalker :)
Eroski Consumer seems like a great source of information !
... and I know now three new Gallego words... precious :D

we might be able to meet in Bilbo in not long ... intending to survive :confused:

Hello gypsy moon.
I arrive on the 26th in Biarritz to do the NC. My plan is to arrive at 3ish from london, get the train to Irun which departs 5.45 then stay the night in the municipal albergue in Irun. Pick up my passport and hopefully say hello to a few fellow camino walkers then set out to San sebastion early the next morning.
I have the cicerone guide for well being but i do like to walk my own if you know what i mean, it's an adventure.
I think it may be quite wet some days from research so I'm prepared for most eventualities and i reckon my pack will be about 8k.
I only walked the Camino Frances in may this year so I'm lucky to know exactly what i need.
i may catch you up and say hello.
Enjoy your walk Moon.... Buen camino.

Thank you Rich :)
Nice to know I can take that train to Irun as well ... curious to know if you had a special reason to not stop / walk through St Jean de Luz or Hendaye... ? guess I will need to make some choices myself if I intend to eventually arrive in Santiago :confused:
Enjoy your second Camino of the year, we might catch up some way, who knows :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gipsy Moon,

You have a couple of options. The 816 bus runs from the airport to Hendaye, departing every half-hour I believe. It's quite inexpensive. From Hendaye, you could walk across the border into Irún or take the metro.

You could also pick up the Voie Littorale just outside of the airport and walk straight from there. The easiest approach would be to take a local bus from the airport to the Biarritz train station, which the VL goes directly past. From there, it's roughly 32km to Hendaye.

That's obviously far too much for an afternoon arrival! But, there is a youth hostel soon after the train station, and accommodation options (likely on the more expensive end of things) in Bidart (5km from the station) or St Jean de Luz (18km, if you were really motivated).

Given the challenging start of the Camino del Norte, some like having a bit of flat walking as a warmup, and this certainly offers that. If you want to consider the VL option, the Confraternity of St James has a guidebook on their site that can be downloaded for a donation.

Dave

Thank you Dave, very precise and useful information :)
Bidart seems like a nice, easy... reasonable.... warm up

St Jean de Luz looks sooo nice on pictures ... 18 km might be a bit much to start :cool:

Will definitely have a look at the VL guidebook you mentioned!

If you have been there, in your opinion what village / city would celebrate nature & beauty the most for a first night and Camino?

Thanks again

(had a look on your profile / web page, very interesting activity of yours! just spent 3 months in and travelling around Eugene OR :rolleyes: )

Here's the timetable for the bus
http://www.transports64.fr/IMG/pdf/cg64-tiu64-fh105x150-816_ete-fr_ok_web.pdf

You should take it to Hendaye Gare then walk across the bridge to Irun - best use Google maps to find the route to the albergue - alternatively there are arrows from Irun train station towards the albergue

Very unlikely that the BM supermercado just up from the albergue will be open on Sunday evening - but probably worth catching it when it opens on Monday morning

But 8kg still seems to me to be on the heavy side - a silk sleeping liner will be fine instead of a sleeping bag at this time of year

Mike

Thank you Mike,
Liking the idea to cross a bridge and walk into Spain... :)

This timetable is exactly what I needed !!

Telling me about the supermercado suddenly makes everything very real...
will have to daily buy food !!

Would you advise any specific albergue in Irun?
Planning to buy there a sim card and arrange a Spanish debit card...

(as a very cold sleeper -living in tropical Australia where European summer temperatures match our winter ones,-
not feeling ready at all to leave sleeping bag behind :eek: was actually intending to take both bag and liner .... ?! :oops: :confused:)

mm....

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back