• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Canterbury

Kiwihiker

Time of past OR future Camino
2008 Camino Santiago
2011 Camino de Portuguese
We are starting from Canterbury in about 3 weeks, and wondered how safe the walk through Calais was. We are thinking of skipping a piece if there are problems. Some recent accounts would be appreciated

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked through Calais last July so not very recent experience. My ferry docked quite a long way out of town and I walked into town passing several groups of mainly young men clustered around the port's perimeter fence. None were overtly hostile but in the relative remoteness and growing dark I did feel uncomfortable. Leaving early the next morning to walk south-east along a major canal I met no one at all. If you are anxious perhaps you should take a taxi or bus from the ferry terminal into the town centre.

I arrived in Calais 3 weeks ago
No problems, yes there were several groups of young men walking around, eating at the same food stall as I, chatting...
Not sure where you're going , but if on Via Francigena...I just followed the canal out of town to Guines so you're only in Calais a couple of hours

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I lived in Calais for 5 years near the Jungle and never had a problem with the refugees ... not a problem the Jungle is a long way from the Canal. Catch the free bus into town and then go to the inner port the Canal to Guines runs off that and it is a lovely walk.... In fact I'd take it all the way to St Omer... it is a good route. There are some nice places to stay in Guines....

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back