• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Pamplona

Marilyn Russell

Time of past OR future Camino
none
I'm a newbie to posting but have been reading and learning on this forum for months. Its a great forum with such open-minded folks who are so willing to share. My flight has been booked and I'll be arriving in Pamplona on 17th Sept 2014 and will start the Camino from Pamplona on the 18th walking solo. Yikes I get abit nervous and excited just thinking about it. Any suggestions where to spend the nite in Pamplona? Hostels will probably be closed when I arrive as flight gets in at 9:00 pm. I think Airport is at Navarres which is 6 kms from city. Also suggestions as to where to start Camino in Pamplona? Blessings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You will have a shot at the albergues. You have to take a taxi from the airport, so you will be in town pretty quickly at that hour. There are lots of reasonable hostales, so check booking.com for them. Albergues may be shutting the door shortly after your arrival, but restaurants will just be opening, so if you want to eat, book a hostal. The Camino runs just past the Plaza de Castillo, so it is easy to find from many of the accommodations. Check a map before you go.

I'm a newbie to posting but have been reading and learning on this forum for months. Its a great forum with such open-minded folks who are so willing to share. My flight has been booked and I'll be arriving in Pamplona on 17th Sept 2014 and will start the Camino from Pamplona on the 18th walking solo. Yikes I get abit nervous and excited just thinking about it. Any suggestions where to spend the nite in Pamplona? Hostels will probably be closed when I arrive as flight gets in at 9:00 pm. I think Airport is at Navarres which is 6 kms from city. Also suggestions as to where to start Camino in Pamplona? Blessings.

Like you I will spend one night in Pamplona before starting my walk to SdC. After reading many positive reviews I decided to book a room at Hostel Hemingway. They have already impressed me by sending an e-mail promising to wait for me even though I arrive long after the reception close at midnight. That's what I call customer service! Now, if only the bed sheets are clean and the room has running water I shall be more than happy with my choice of hostel. They tell me it's a 10 minute walk from the bus station. I can't really complain about that distance when meaning to walk some 700 km the next coming weeks.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a funny and weird story about starting my Camino in Pamplona. I took a hostal late on the first night so didn't get my credentials (passport). The next morning I walked to Jesus y Maria Albergue to get it and on the way...at 7:00 am...in the middle of the street...I saw a bed mattress ON FIRE!!! I took it as a sign that I will always find a bed on the Camino!! Haha!!!
Ps there are round silver markers on the ground to show you the way...you can't miss 'em!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I have a funny and weird story about starting my Camino in Pamplona. I took a hostal late on the first night so didn't get my credentials (passport). The next morning I walked to Jesus y Maria Albergue to get it and on the way...at 7:00 am...in the middle of the street...I saw a bed mattress ON FIRE!!! I took it as a sign that I will always find a bed on the Camino!! Haha!!!
Ps there are round silver markers on the ground to show you the way...you can't miss 'em!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Great story! I have heard about burning bushes and even burning wheels. Never burning mattresses. Until just now.

I thought albergues close at 9:00pm. Sounds like they're open late. Good stuff. I'll check a map for Plaza de Castillo and find the closest albergue. Thanks Falcon. Got my Canadian credentials (passport) already. Hostel Hemingway sounds good Mr. Walker. Is it close to Camino route?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pamplona is such a great starting point. Like any major city the first hour or so is spent getting out of the town, but after that you're immediately into classic Camino country. If the mist has lifted off the Alto del Perdon you get a lovely sense of 'the road ahead'.

Take the advice above and book a cheapish, central hostal on the Web before you leave so you have somewhere to head for when you arrive. Although you might be alone and feeling a bit lost for your dinner (all the pilgrims will be curfewed in the albergue) don't let it worry you. You'll meet plenty of people the next morning. Muy Buen Camino!

I thought albergues close at 9:00pm. Sounds like they're open late. Good stuff. I'll check a map for Plaza de Castillo and find the closest albergue. Thanks Falcon. Got my Canadian credentials (passport) already. Hostel Hemingway sounds good Mr. Walker. Is it close to Camino route?

I don't know if it is close to the route. It is central however and I already have my mind set on walking a long distance so it doesn't really matter much to me. For now I wish you good luck in your planning but in a few days I'll probably be more domesticated and howl Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hostel Hemingway sounds good. Is it close to Camino route?
Nothing is real far away in Pamplona except the train station!! It is not on the Camino as is Jesus y Maria, but you can walk directly to the citadel to join it, or head north past the bull arena to join at Plaza Castillo, which is a bit longer. Buen camino.

Would hig
highly recommend Ernest Hemingway Hostel. Only 19€ very central with breakfast. Open late.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great recommendations above! But if you want a different perspective, from someone who also began walking from Pamplona, then here's why I opted to Couchsurf instead: I wanted to land in a place that still had a feeling of 'home' before setting out into the 'wild world' of albergues. For me, at least, it was perfect ;)
Buen camino, wherever you land, sleep and head out from!

Great recommendations above! But if you want a different perspective, from someone who also began walking from Pamplona, then here's why I opted to Couchsurf instead: I wanted to land in a place that still had a feeling of 'home' before setting out into the 'wild world' of albergues. For me, at least, it was perfect ;)
Buen camino, wherever you land, sleep and head out from!
hum . . .couch surfing. Interesting option. I think I'll probably want to be around other pilgrims for my first nite.

Pamplona is such a great starting point. Like any major city the first hour or so is spent getting out of the town, but after that you're immediately into classic Camino country. If the mist has lifted off the Alto del Perdon you get a lovely sense of 'the road ahead'.

Take the advice above and book a cheapish, central hostal on the Web before you leave so you have somewhere to head for when you arrive. Although you might be alone and feeling a bit lost for your dinner (all the pilgrims will be curfewed in the albergue) don't let it worry you. You'll meet plenty of people the next morning. Muy Buen Camino!
Tyrrek. Thanks for the post. It was a good reminder for me to "just jump in". I was thinking of staying at a hotel the first nite, but if I stay at an albergue then I'll be with other pilgrims in the morning. Hopefully not solo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back