• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from SJPDP 11th May 2018

PDiddy369

Time of past OR future Camino
Commencing the French Way May 2018
Departing Lisbon 23rd Sept 2019 to SDC and then on to Finisterre
I'm departing Brisbane on 7th May 2018 to commence my Camino journey from SJPDP on 11th May 2018 and planning to arrive in Santiago on 17th June 2018. This is my first Camino and I'm looking forward to the journey ahead.

I am planning on walking from SJPDP to Roncesvalles on the first day and would like to know what time others have departed from SJPDP on this stage of the Camino?

Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, and Buen Camino :)

My son and I left SJPdP around 0745, taking Route Napoleon. We arrived in Roncesvalles around 3:30pm. We spent a good 40 minutes at Orisson fueling up with bocadillos and fluids. We also had several diversions along the way, like the Virgen de Biakorre, food trailers, and various stops to take in the views. Plus, there were several breaks and lots of picture taking pauses.

Hi, and Buen Camino :)

My son and I left SJPdP around 0745, taking Route Napoleon. We arrived in Roncesvalles around 3:30pm. We spent a good 40 minutes at Orisson fueling up with bocadillos and fluids. We also had several diversions along the way, like the Virgen de Biakorre, food trailers, and various stops to take in the views. Plus, there were several breaks and lots of picture taking pauses.
Thank you davebugg, I wasn’t sure if leaving around 8 would be too late, sounds about the right time to start. Thanks again

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there PDiddy,

Setting off as you are on a Friday, which I suspect is a bit busier than midweek days, I certainly wouldn't set out much later than 8 unless you're a particularly quick walker and confident of overtaking people. It's already a tough day and it would be a shame to have to walk even further for the sake of 30 minutes extra lie in. Sunrise will be around 6.45 and a lot of people will be setting off not long after, or in some cases even before then.

Don't want to set you off into a bed race panic before you've even started but something to keep in mind.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Hi there PDiddy,

Setting off as you are on a Friday, which I suspect is a bit busier than midweek days, I certainly wouldn't set out much later than 8 unless you're a particularly quick walker and confident of overtaking people. It's already a tough day and it would be a shame to have to walk even further for the sake of 30 minutes extra lie in. Sunrise will be around 6.45 and a lot of people will be setting off not long after, or in some cases even before then.

Don't want to set you off into a bed race panic before you've even started but something to keep in mind.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information, I'm definitely not a fast walker and particularly on the first day I'll be taking it easy. An earlier start is definitely the revised plan. Being my first camino I'll no doubt have a few extra questions, I'm also curious about where to have breakfast on the first day prior to leaving and do you buy your lunch for the first day the day prior?

Thanks again

Book your bed in Roncesvalles now, you can do this on line. Then it won't matter how fast or slow you are, you have a bed taken care of. You are feeling a lot of uncertainty right now, and that's normal. Set out before 9:00 and you will get there easily in broad daylight. Most people could leave later than that and be fine. I assume you have already booked somewhere to stay in SJPP. Most people eat breakfast where they stay, but there are a number of cafes there that will feed you.

Your question about lunch is a style choice. I like to stop along the way and eat lunch, as well as second breakfast. You will slide into that habit very easily. If you are walking the Napolean, there is just one stop for food, and that is Orisson. There are other options for food on the Valcarlos route. Some people like to carry a lunch with them rather than stopping into a bar along the way. I admit, a river bank in the forest is a lot nicer than a crowded noisy bar......unless its raining. If you want to carry food, buy it the day before in St. Jean, there are lots of choices available. Elsewhere on the Camino groceries can be a challenge in some of the smaller villages, but nearly any bar will wrap something up for you to take along with you.

Relax. Enjoy. Walk, eat, sleep.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the information, I'm definitely not a fast walker and particularly on the first day I'll be taking it easy. An earlier start is definitely the revised plan. Being my first camino I'll no doubt have a few extra questions, I'm also curious about where to have breakfast on the first day prior to leaving and do you buy your lunch for the first day the day prior?

Thanks again

Hi again. You're definitely wise to start off slow, it's a tough first day even for the fittest of us.

Some albergues/guest houses do provide breakfast, otherwise there's a bakery and and another store just the camino side of the bridge on Rue D'espagne which if memory serves open at 7 where you can get maybe a croissant, some fruit or whatever else takes your fancy, though perhaps an idea to check on this the evening before. Also if it's looking like being a warm day make sure you have plenty of water, I got through six litres on that first day!! There are water sources along the way and while you don't want to be carrying huge weights up hill you should stay topped up.

For lunch there's usually a guy, I think about half way to Orisson selling cured meats, bananas etc. which will keep you going before reaching Orisson itself which is the perfect place to take a break and eat something, take in the spectacular views and marvel at har far you've already come. Personally I tend not to have much by way of lunch on the camino as I don't like walking on a full stomach but I'm sure you'll develop a routine of your own.

The volunteers at the pilgrim office in SJPdP are a mine of information and 10 minutes speaking to them is probably your best bet for good up to date advice, but in the meantime please don't hesitate to ask me anything.

Rob.

Wow! One week ahead of us. We will start to walk on May 17, 2018. Hopefully see you on the Camino! Buen Camino!!!

Pdiddy, we will likely be starting off around the same time. I am leaving SJPDP on the 0th or 11th. Plan to go to Roncesvalles first day also. I am sure there will be a few of us out there asking a lot of questions. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pdiddy, we will likely be starting off around the same time. I am leaving SJPDP on the 0th or 11th. Plan to go to Roncesvalles first day also. I am sure there will be a few of us out there asking a lot of questions. Buen Camino.
No doubt we’ll cross paths, not long to go now!
Paul

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back