• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Mozarabe in Malaga 4/2024

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I plan to start the Mozarabe from Malaga the first week in April. Anyone who has started from here, can you recommend:

A place to stay
Where can I get a Pilgrim passport ?
Where is the first marker?
Anything else of interest about this route?

I have walked this route from Almeria but want to also start here. It looks like a perfect 3 week walk.

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Here is a link to the Malaga amigos:
(I don't know if it's up to date)

They would be a good first stop. I think they meet on a Tuesday evening, if it fits in with your plans..

I plan to start the Mozarabe from Malaga the first week in April. Anyone who has started from here, can you recommend:

A place to stay

I have walked this route from Almeria but want to also start here. It looks like a perfect 3 week walk.

Thanks
Here is a link to my blog when I walked a portion of the route from Malaga. It was some years ago so not sure if these places are still open but they were fine. To follow, just choose newer post, newer post at the bottom of each post. I ended up leaving that route and jumping up to the Madrid route because I got a little nervous about being alone in the endless olive groves with a worker that felt "off." But until the olive groves, it was a wonderful route!

My blog mentions all the places I slept, including in Malaga.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Joe
Our forum member @AJGuillaume has walked the Mozárabe starting at all 3 starting points (Almería , Jaén, & Malaga) over recent times … and has posted a lot of info that would help with your questions. Except possibly ?? the sleeping arrangements in Malaga (where they have family living ).

Check Andrew& Rachel’s ( @AJGuillaume ) threads under Mozárabe sub forum

Enjoy your camino in April

A place to stay

Thanks
The Amigos in Malaga meet weekly on Tuesdays at a community centre about 1Km north (correction: east) of the centre. They are very helpful, issue credenciales and advice

.https://caminomozarabedemalaga.com/asociacion/

The Iglesia de Santiago is outside the rear entrance to El Pimpi in the centre of town, which is a good thing. That’s where I’d start. The Iglesia that is, not El Pimpi.

Well, maybe not.

Last edited:

A place to stay

Thanks
We enjoyed our walk from Málaga.
The Asociación Jacobea de Málaga meets every Tuesday evening at 7pm at Calle República Argentina 9. It's in El Limonar, to the East from the city centre. They'll give you a list of the albergues, and you can get your credenciale from them.
If you're not there on a Tuesday, then get a credenciale from Ivar. I don't know where else you can get a credenciale in Málaga.
Unfortunately, I can't help you with accommodation in Málaga, we have family there, but there are a number of hostels in town.
I can't remember whether I wrote comprehensive details about our walk from Málaga on the Forum. I had so many reports I was writing every evening 😄 You can follow my footsteps on FindPenguins, I have made the walk public, so you should be able to read the entries.
Our walk is not typical, we're distance challenged slow walkers.
¡Buen Camino!

Edit: you can start from the church of Santiago. We didn't. We know what the suburbs of Málaga are like, and they're not interesting. We took the bus 21 to Junta de los Caminos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unfortunately for me I arrive on April 3rd, Wednesday. So it looks like the Association will not be of much help unless I can connect with someone and make arrangements to meet.

If not is there a church or other place where someone can get a credential in Malaga?

Does anyone have experience with Air Europa? Are they like Ryan air?

I have walked from Almeria and the association there was very helpful up to Granada.

I am open to any ideas.

Thanks
Joe

Unfortunately for me I arrive on April 3rd, Wednesday. So it looks like the Association will not be of much help unless I can connect with someone and make arrangements to meet.

If not is there a church or other place where someone can get a credential in Malaga?

Does anyone have experience with Air Europa? Are they like Ryan air?

I have walked from Almeria and the association there was very helpful up to Granada.

I am open to any ideas.

Thanks
Joe
Try contacting them through their website: https://caminomozarabedemalaga.com/contacto/
Or as I mentioned, get a credenciale from Ivar's shop.
Failing that, you can try:
- asking at the cathedral
- asking at the church of Santiago (when it's open, so go at the times when they have mass)
- asking at the tourist office.
¡Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's a direct link to the association's webpage I posted just now on the other current Mozerabe/Malaga thread. It lists the stage distances and contact numbers, it's really all you need:

I don't know about pilgrim specific accommodation in Malaga city, but there are plenty of options. I couldn't recommend the cheap place I stayed, unless you want to listen to two dogs barking out the window all night in the next room (my host forgot to mention she had them in the apartment). You have enough time to pick up a credencial in advance from wherever.. will save you stressing about it when you arrive..

Buen camino

@jpflavin1 I live in Malaga, ask me anything.

Credencial: the cathedral bookstore sells them. It's built into the south side of the cathedral, small door that's easy to miss. But, their working hours are pretty narrow, like 10:00-14:00 or something like that.

Try contacting them through their website: https://caminomozarabedemalaga.com/contacto/
Or as I mentioned, get a credenciale from Ivar's shop.
Failing that, you can try:
- asking at the cathedral
- asking at the church of Santiago (when it's open, so go at the times when they have mass)
- asking at the tourist office.
¡Buen Camino!
Thank you for this information. I have tried several times to send a message through this website and I keep getting an error message to try again later.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's a direct link to the association's webpage I posted just now on the other current Mozerabe/Malaga thread. It lists the stage distances and contact numbers, it's really all you need:

I don't know about pilgrim specific accommodation in Malaga city, but there are plenty of options. I couldn't recommend the cheap place I stayed, unless you want to listen to two dogs barking out the window all night in the next room (my host forgot to mention she had them in the apartment). You have enough time to pick up a credencial in advance from wherever.. will save you stressing about it when you arrive..

Buen camino
Thank you Flog

@jpflavin1 I live in Malaga, ask me anything.

Credencial: the cathedral bookstore sells them. It's built into the south side of the cathedral, small door that's easy to miss. But, their working hours are pretty narrow, like 10:00-14:00 or something like that.
Thanks, I sent you a PM.

A place to stay

Thanks
Lindsay Teschene is currently walking the route and posting daily on fb. Most important get in touch with the association that looks after the Mozarabe. You will need to contact them each day to get the code of entry of daily albergues. He loves the route that is very well marked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Lindsay Teschene is currently walking the route and posting daily on fb. Most important get in touch with the association that looks after the Mozarabe. You will need to contact them each day to get the code of entry of daily albergues. He loves the route that is very well marked.
Thanks for this information.

I do not use FB. I have tried several times to contact Association but keep getting an error message. I will continue to try.

Thank you also for the information regarding codes for entry. I still have a month to work things out.

A place to stay
If you want a splurge, I spent a few days in Hotel Palacio Solecio as a tourist a few years ago. Great location very close to the Roman theater and an extremely popular cafe/ restaurante, El Pimpi. Watching the sun go down and night arrive with a view of the theater is just wonderful.

And I remember that there was a Camino marker embedded in either the hotel wall or the building next-door, so it’s right on the route

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am now 16 days from my start date in Malaga :) . I believe I have tried every contact that has been suggested and still nothing from the Malaga association. I have even reached out to Veronica from the Almeria association and she has reached out to them too. While it would be nice to have a contact point, I am sure all will go well.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

I am now 16 days from my start date in Malaga. I believe I have tried every contact that has been suggested and still nothing from the Malaga association.
Did you click on the link I posted? Post 10? It has all the albergue/ayuntamiento contact numbers as well as the stage distances. What else do you need??

Did you click on the link I posted? Post 10? It has all the albergue/ayuntamiento contact numbers as well as the stage distances. What else do you need?
The only thing I absolutely need is a credential.

Between Gronze, wikiloc and the chart you sent me I will be fine.

Based on comments from others, I was hoping to work with the local association like I did when walking from Almeria.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want a splurge, I spent a few days in Hotel Palacio Solecio as a tourist a few years ago. Great location very close to the Roman theater and an extremely popular cafe/ restaurante, El Pimpi. Watching the sun go down and night arrive with a view of the theater is just wonderful.

And I remember that there was a Camino marker embedded in either the hotel wall or the building next-door, so it’s right on the route
Looks like that will be my starting point.

Based on comments from others, I was hoping to work with the local association like I did when walking from Almeria.
Based on what I’ve read over the years, there is no association on the Málaga branch that bears any resemblance to the Almería association.

I remember @Amancio’s ”Live from the camino” thread was very informative, maybe that will give you some more good info. But I think you’re ready to go, now if you could just get that credential!

Based on what I’ve read over the years, there is no association on the Málaga branch that bears any resemblance to the Almería association.

I remember @Amancio’s ”Live from the camino” thread was very informative, maybe that will give you some more good info. But I think you’re ready to go, now if you could just get that credential!
I just sent a email to APOC to remind them. I am sure all will be well.

A place to stay

Thanks
Hi, I'm starting to walk from Málaga on Sunday, the 7th of April. And you?

Two more questions.

Where did you get your first stamp/sello?
Is the route well marked?

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Two more questions.

Thanks
We started in Junta de los Caminos, and we got our first sello in Almogia.
The route is well marked.

Two more questions.

Thanks
Hello, I'm planning to stamp my credential at Iglesia de Santiago or maybe the Cathedral?
The route should be well marked as I have read here and in some other forums, but I will be using Wikiloc in case of doubt. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a fan! I've used her videos for researching a few of the quieter ways, including the way out of Malaga. All her joking around aside, she gives a lot of useful info and advice..
Sara is brilliant. Quirky and committed and has experienced the Up's and Down's of solo-walking.

I once bought her a beer on her "drink link" and was chuffed to be acknowledged on one of the videos.

Her bridge dancing is unparalleled.
Stick with her videos and you will get used to her style.

For anyone hearing about Sara for the first time, search YouTube using "Sara Dhooma" , lots of Camino and other adventures.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm going to leave a note here for posterity, in case someone comes to this thread looking for answers.

Right now, credentials can be bought in the Malaga cathedral's museum gift shop. It's a little hard to find the entrance on your own, so it's probably best to find an employee and ask.

There used to be a separate cathedral bookstore, but it was closed and merged with the gift shop as part of ongoing renovations to the cathedral.

I'm going to leave a note here for posterity, in case someone comes to this thread looking for answers.

Right now, credentials can be bought in the Malaga cathedral's museum gift shop. It's a little hard to find the entrance on your own, so it's probably best to find an employee and ask.

There used to be a separate cathedral bookstore, but it was closed and merged with the gift shop as part of ongoing renovations to the cathedral.
I got my credential at the Santiago church. I paid 2 euros.
It's a very very beautiful church, and our dear Santiago is in the main altar :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back