• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A few days on Mozarabe from Malaga

Flog

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm heading to Malaga today to walk 100km or so north for my last few days in Spain. I know the municipal in Amogía will be open, (the hospi is a phone call away) beyond that, I'll have to see how it goes. Has anyone walked this way recently, or can anyone share any info from recent times? Have googled around and got some phone numbers but only definite info I have is for Amogía. My plan is to walk North for 4 or 5 days before taking a bus back to Malaga to return home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm heading to Malaga today to walk 100km or so north for my last few days in Spain. I know the municipal in Amogía will be open, (the hospi is a phone call away) beyond that, I'll have to see how it goes. Has anyone walked this way recently, or can anyone share any info from recent times? Have googled around and got some phone numbers but only definite info I have is for Amogía. My plan is to walk North for 4 or 5 days before taking a bus back to Malaga to return home.
I just arrived in Santiago today and am looking for a warm place to spend my remaining 6 days in Spain. I’ll be interested in seeing responses to this post.

We are right now a few days ahead. There are all albergues available. You get the key mostly at policia local. It’s just doable to Lucena in 6 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just arrived in Santiago today and am looking for a warm place to spend my remaining 6 days in Spain. I’ll be interested in seeing responses to this post.

For me too, after a month or so in Northern Spain, a few days of walking in warm, dry weather will be very welcome..

We are right now a few days ahead. There are all albergues available. You get the key mostly at policia local. It’s just doable to Lucena in 6 days.

Good to know, thanks.. you mean the municipals?

Yes, municipals. And from Lucena there are several buses daily back to Malaga

Use Gronze! has all the Moz variants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Use Gronze! has all the Moz variants.

Gronze is normally my go-to resource. However, the route out of Malaga appears to be incomplete at this time, unfortunately. I did find a page with some albergue listings though, and I'm confident I can manage day by day. I've found Sara Dhooma's vlog from a few years ago too, I've found her vids very helpful on other quiet routes in the past..🙂

We walked in May this year.

If you have time and you're in Málaga on a Tuesday, you can meet the amigos of the Asociación Jacobea de Málaga at 7pm, at Calle República Argentina 9. They have credenciales, they'll give you a sello, and all the info required.

As mentioned earlier, you'll get the keys for the albergues from the policía local. Their number is on the door of the albergue.
You'll also find info on the Asociación's website: https://caminomozarabedemalaga.com/destino/de-malaga-a-cordoba/
I have just checked, and it looks like the albergue in Villanueva de la Concepción is closed. When we were in Villanueva de la Concepción, the albergue was being renovated. We stayed at the Apartamentos Villa Torcal. There's a hotel too. The mayor of the town, who was reelected this year, is very supportive of the Camino. So you may also find more info at the ayuntamiento.

After Villanueva de la Concepción, it looks all ok. You'll love walking through El Torcal. If you have time, spend an extra day in Antequera. There's an Alcazaba, and two dolmens worth visiting.

¡Buen Camino!

Thank you, all this is helpful! I did know the Málaga amigos meet on a Tuesday and I tried contacting them last week with no luck, but I'm setting out in the morning. All will be fine anyway, I'm sure..

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for the great information.

Are GPS tracks available for either Mozarabe Camino, from Malaga or from Almeria?

I really appreciate the great effort that volunteers put into placing directional signage, but could really use that extra support. :)

Thank you all for the great information.

Are GPS tracks available for either Mozarabe Camino, from Malaga or from Almeria?

I really appreciate the great effort that volunteers put into placing directional signage, but could really use that extra support. :)
You'll find tracks in KML format here:
You'll see the first few are the Caminos Andaluces.

If you use Wikiloc, you'll also find many GPS tracks (GPX format). I have recorded this year's walks from Almería and Málaga to Mérida.
Look for user ajguillaume.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Arid, rocky landscapes, dry river beds and endless olive groves, what a stark contrast to Galicia in Autumn! Lack of intermediate services and water would surely have made this a very difficult way earlier in the year? The police chief let me into the albergue at Almogía (he told me to take the carretera for the last few km today, that the path was dangerous.. something about a crazy dog that killed someone or might kill someone or nearly killed someone, I'm not sure exactly, but I took his advice..
I have just checked, and it looks like the albergue in Villanueva de la Concepción is closed. When we were in Villanueva de la Concepción, the albergue was being renovated.
At Villanueva de la Concepción, the lady across the street gave me the key. Whatever renovations are now in the past and both albergues are basic but clean and have the essentials. I haven't seen any other pilgrims but looking in the book, I see a few ahead of me, I'm unlikely to catch...
You'll love walking through El Torcal. If you have time, spend an extra day in Antequera. There's an Alcazaba, and two dolmens worth visiting.

¡Buen Camino!
Yeah, I look forward to making my way up through the mountain pass tomorrow, and the downhill section beyond towards Antequera! It looks both forboding and inviting..

Edit:
Just noticed when leaving the albergue at Villanueve de la Concepción this morning: it doesn't correspond with Google maps, I think it was relocated, either temporarily or permanently..

Attachments

• 20231104_104812.jpg
    20231104_104812.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Today was a 37km day, unintentionally.. due to me allowing myself to get lost not once but twice in the endless olive groves.. so many paths in so many directions! I got distracted watching the harvesting and missed the signs! I should repeat again, this would be a difficult path in summer, with nothing at all between towns, if these short few days are anything to go by. I have just a short walk from Cuaves Bajas to Encinas Reales in the morning for the bus to Malaga.. a ramble across the Caminito del Rey on Friday before I return home will be a walk in the park..

So, it was just a small taste of the Mozerabe.. but the simplicity of just walking all day alone with my thoughts, arriving tired and hungry, finding the albergue, a friendly smile and eating whatever was put in front of me in the local bar was for me this time, all I needed..

20231107_085234.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back