• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting my walk out of the metro at ville do conde porto,

jimtrabulsi

hi, i will taking the B express out to the the metro in villa do conde where i will be starting my walk on sept 2., it will take me over an hour to walk to the closest intersection with the path at N306 and N309. I goggle mapped this info. with the help of PRs maps. does this sound right? I will be using the csj guide and some sketchy maps downloaded from the amigos of the camino, its my first walk and i want to get off to a good start. csj say the path is well marked but a thread here says he got lost starting from the vila do conde and would not recomend it. any suggestions apericate, thanks, jim also any suggestions on war,weather clothing?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, welcome and bom caminho!
If you are getting the metro to Vila do Conde I would suggest that you walk to Rates, not Vilarinho. When I walked, last October, there were roadworks coming out of Vila do Conde but the 'metro' was almost on the end of these, I'm not sure if that is the stop you have in mind. you need to walk parallel to the river, there were almost no signs until you get to Arcos, then there are loads.
As i said you should walk on the road, parallel to the river, go through Tourginha and continue straight along the road until you come to a very narrow bridge to the right, cross the bridge, then bear left and follow the road up to San Simao, continue straight, cross a road and you will see signs for Arcos, follow those and you will come to arrows!! It must be about 10 kms from Tourginha to Rates.
Good luck, of course it may have better signs now and the construction site should have gone :)

Thanks for this information as I am thinking of starting my walk in October via this route.
I am wondering whether it is possible to buy an inexpensive mobile phone in Portugal which is usable in both Portugal and then in Spain? Or indeed, the best phone solution as I do not have an unlocked mobile I can bring from home?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
jimtrabulsi said:
hi, i will taking the B express out to the the metro in villa do conde where i will be starting my walk on sept 2., it will take me over an hour to walk to the closest intersection with the path at N306 and N309. I goggle mapped this info. with the help of PRs maps. does this sound right? I will be using the csj guide and some sketchy maps downloaded from the amigos of the camino, its my first walk and i want to get off to a good start. csj say the path is well marked but a thread here says he got lost starting from the vila do conde and would not recomend it. any suggestions apericate, thanks, jim also any suggestions on war,weather clothing?

I will walk from Porto either, but I always go to the Vilar do Pinheiro station, and then walk trough Vilarinho ( it´s near) to Rates. All the way is marked and you will meet some pilgrims in the metro that will walk this way.
John Brierley describes it:
"Metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and pick up the waymarked route in Mosteiró (1.1km).Popular alternative ...Note that the metro line is from Trindade in direction of Póvoa de Varzin. Alight at Vilar do Pinheiro and turn right out of metro and over the N-13 (600m) and turn left at T junctio to join waymarked route at café S. Gonçalo (500m) "

During september it will be hot most of the days... Rain in Galicia, probably...

katiawt said:
jimtrabulsi said:

I will walk from Porto either, but I always go to the Vilar do Pinheiro station, and then walk trough Vilarinho ( it´s near) to Rates. All the way is marked and you will meet some pilgrims in the metro that will walk this way.
"Metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and pick up the waymarked route in Mosteiró (1.1km).Popular alternative ...Note that the metro line is from Trindade in direction of Póvoa de Varzin. Alight at Vilar do Pinheiro and turn right out of metro and over the N-13 (600m) and turn left at T junctio to join waymarked route at café S. Gonçalo (500m) "

During september it will be hot most of the days... Rain in Galicia, probably...

Are these directions good to find the waymarking? I hope to take the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and join the route there. Getting lost is my specialty!

Hi efdoucette
I would second this as sound advice if you don't want to walk through Oporto. The only reason we walked from Vila do Conde is that we took the metro to Matosinhos and walked up the coast to Vila do Conde. The inland route is excellently marked, once you are on it, and the John Brierley guide, given by katiawt, should get you onto the camino easily.
bom caminho
Sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I begin the Camino Portuguese next Thursday. (My first Camino.) I'm planing to start from the Cathedral. Is there some problem that makes some pilgrims want to take the metro out of town? Not criticising, just asking.

I begin the Camino Portuguese next Thursday. (My first Camino.) I'm planing to start from the Cathedral. Is there some problem that makes some pilgrims want to take the metro out of town? Not criticising, just asking

Having not done it :D There were suggestions that there are major roads to contend with. Those who have done it, and posted here, have generally said that it is not a major issue. For me it had more to do with the distance to the first albergue. It's like walking in and out of any big town really, I expect. Once I start walking I just put up with what comes, where one starts is more optional I feel. enjoy your camino, wherever you start :)
Sue

I walked from the coastal route to Vila do Conde. I will tell you that the metro stop at Vila do Conde is outside of town--just beyond the convent to the east. When you get off the metro head east (right as you step off) and follow the main road. You will come to a T in the road (highways really so watch it when you cross; there was lots of construction going on when I was there)--bear to the right and cross over and follow the highway. I am not at home so I don't have my references but the markings are pitiful at this point. There will be traffic circles but continue to follow the highway more or less straight. My Brierley wasn't helpful because it erroneously called one town by another name. But keep following the main highway and ask at the cafes if you are confused. You will turn to the right and find the stone bridge with a cascade to your left (just beyond a wonderful little cafe with a friendly owner). There are high stone walls here and almost no space for pilgrims. Traffic is fast. Be alert! Then keep your eye out for the Arcos signs and follow the directions. When you finally intersect with the Camino coming from the south, you will be astonished how many arrows there are! Wish I could be more specific but without my notes, sorry! We stopped at Rates and enjoyed it a lot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back