• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting on the 27th of May (Frances)!

aniastepien

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hi, I’m Ania from Australia (38F) and will start walking on the 27th of May!
It will be my first Camino.
I am unprepared as I made the decision a week ago, so have 3.5 weeks to prepare.

I need to learn what I need to take.
I have to get all the gear.
(I’m overwhelmed with all the suggestions)

Brake in my shoes.

I have my flights booked and my 1st 3 nights booked. Other then that I’m not researching anything else as I want it to be more of an adventure.

Hope to meet some of you on ‘The Way’

Ania 😀

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, finding your right sock/shoe combination and breaking in your shoes are the most important things to prepare!

Search ultralight Camino packing lists - and those will help you pare down your gear list to a reasonable weight. I like merino wool clothing for the most part - keeps you cooler in the warm temps, warmer in the cool temps, doesn't hold odor the way most materials do, and usually quick to dry. You only need 2-3 sets of clothes (including the set you walk in). I like 3 sets myself so I can skip a day of laundry. If you have your first 3 nights booked you are off to a great start. Pamplona seems to be hit and miss as well lately though - so you might want just 1 more night of reservations to get you through that area. It gets better after Pamplona. And good luck! I start the day before you - but I am STILL deciding which route I want to do (Frances or Norte). Just can't seem to decide!

I am unprepared as I made the decision a week ago, so have 3.5 weeks to prepare.

Brake in my shoes.

I have my flights booked and my 1st 3 nights booked. Other then that I’m not researching anything else as I want it to be more of an adventure.

Ania 😀
We will be two days behind you if you are starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@aniastepien @Schamber @Tickbush I am starting in Pamplona on the 28th, and as I am the slowest walker ever, all of y'all are sure pass me along the way somewhere between Pamplona and Logrono. Wave hi at the lady in the pink hat!

edited to change the date- overnight flight had me messed up!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Brake in my shoes.

Ania 😀
Hi Ania - we are 6 kiwis starting from SJPDP that same day! Look forward to meeting you.

We will be two days behind you if you are starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port.
Hi! I’m stopping in Orrison ( as I’m breaking up the first leg of the journey). I’m taking it slow as I don’t have any time restrictions! Hopefully see you on the track! : )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, finding your right sock/shoe combination and breaking in your shoes are the most important things to prepare!

Search ultralight Camino packing lists - and those will help you pare down your gear list to a reasonable weight. I like merino wool clothing for the most part - keeps you cooler in the warm temps, warmer in the cool temps, doesn't hold odor the way most materials do, and usually quick to dry. You only need 2-3 sets of clothes (including the set you walk in). I like 3 sets myself so I can skip a day of laundry. If you have your first 3 nights booked you are off to a great start. Pamplona seems to be hit and miss as well lately though - so you might want just 1 more night of reservations to get you through that area. It gets better after Pamplona. And good luck! I start the day before you - but I am STILL deciding which route I want to do (Frances or Norte). Just can't seem to decide!
Thankyou so much for al that information! I hope to see you on the Camino if you choose Frances! : )

Hi Ania - we are 6 kiwis starting from SJPDP that same day! Look forward to meeting you.
Oh awesome!! I got my koala badge to sew on my pack today.. Maybe a bit of overkill 🤣
See you on the walk - I’m sure I won’t miss 6 kiwis 😉

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I start on the 28th, which is my 71st birthday! It seems like a good day to start an adventure.
Oh awesome! I’ll also be spending my birthday alone on the Camino but at the beginning of July! I would be more then happy to have a wine in your honour on your birthday! : )

Hi! I’m stopping in Orrison ( as I’m breaking up the first leg of the journey). I’m taking it slow as I don’t have any time restrictions! Hopefully see you on the track! : )
We are stopping right past Orisson at Borda. We will have rest days in Pamplona, Logrono, and Leon. Hope to see you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.