• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Stories

anthonyve

Hello,
I am an Australian novelist working on a fiction work set along El Camino. The book is in two parts, one in the 10thC culminating in the sacking of Santiago by Al Mansur in 997 and the second is set in 2007.
I'm looking for interesting stories and experiences for the 21st Century story from anyone willing to allow me to use them as idea sources for the plot.
The central character in the 2007 story is an ex soldier traumatized by a brutal event in Afghanistan. He is trying to rediscover himself and find purpose in his life. His pilgrimage is a metaphor for the inner journey he must make in order to survive.
I would be really grateful for any ideas or experiences, whether relevant to the basic plot or not, and would be happy to acknowledge sources, if the darn thing ever makes it to publication. (I'm a year into the project and am at that point where I regularly want to throw my laptop out the window )
Although age and arthritis make it unlikely that I will ever be able to make the pilgrimage, my research has given me an understanding of what a profound achievement it is to make it to Santiago De Compostela by the power of one's own body.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great idea for a novel!
So many people have written books on their experiences that you could write a whole series of novels on the modern camino!
And since every man and his blog has written about the camino, this would be another good source. Just search el camino in a blog URL and you will find thousands of online journals to research.
Good luck!

Most read last week in this forum