• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Supplies on the CdN

zimmecp

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2017
Hello fellow pilgrims! How easily can one obtain supplies on the CdN? (Specifically, trekking poles, Swiss Army Knife, and Aleve painkiller). I am inclined to get the first two AFTER a plane ride...and the last is the most effective pain killer I've dealt with for a recent injury to my knees.

Just trying to plan...any advice would be helpful!

Best!
Christine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello fellow pilgrims! How easily can one obtain supplies on the CdN? (Specifically, trekking poles, Swiss Army Knife, and Aleve painkiller). I am inclined to get the first two AFTER a plane ride...and the last is the most effective pain killer I've dealt with for a recent injury to my knees.

Just trying to plan...any advice would be helpful!

Best!
Christine
Christine, both Irun and Bilbao have numerous sporting good stores (tienda de deportes), including a Decathlon in each. I think your plan is a good one - my poles were destroyed in checked baggage on arrival in Madrid in May.

There are pharmas everywhere and they have resources to find the Spanish name for whatever medication you're looking for in another language. Buen Camino to you!

San Sebastian/Donastia has a great shop right on the beach on the eastern end of town.

I would say the Norte is very good for supplies, as you are walking through coastal tourist cities, towns and villages and they are prepared for the tourists.

Hiking is also an everyday past time for the people in Northern Spain, they are out walking on the weekends, so I did not find it hard to find equipment.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Zim, I'll offer a different take. After the long travel to get there, it's kind of a drag to have to top off supplies. My recommendation is to get the poles, swiss army knife, Alive and Compeed here in North America. Then put everything in a very cheap checked bag, enjoy your flight over without having to haul around any of your gear Then when you land, take your backpack and all your gear out of the cheap stowed luggage and throw away or donate the cheap luggage you sent it over in. Just less stuff to do when you get there.
My first "gear purchase" was in Bilboa - it was diaper rash cream!

Most read last week in this forum

please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks
An article on the El Correo website reporting on very high occupancy rates at the albergue in Markina on the Camino del Norte. Full almost daily...
I’m travelling to Irún today to start my Camino tomorrow morning - I’m flying to Biarritz getting in at 4pm, planning on catching the bus to Hendaye and walking to the pilgrims hostel from there...
Hello everyone, I will have to work digitally about every other day from Irun to SdC (bringing an iPad). What are the wifi connections like along the entire route? What about the Primitivo? Thanks.
Hola fellow pilgrims, asking for a friend who is currently on the Norte. His pack is too heavy, can someone tell us how he would send the excess items home to Canada and the cos?. Alternatively...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back