• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

swimming togs or no?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I have seen references to thermal baths and even an albergue with a pool. My kids love to swim. I listened when everyone told me NOT to take togs on the Portuguese this year and never regretted this decision, but I'm wondering if they would actually be used on the Via de la Plata. What do you think?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I say do it. They barely weigh anything, dry quickly and could double up as underwear or shorts.

Or the other approach - have underwear that doubles as swimwear. I had all my sets of underwear microfibre and bright red, no lace. Who can tell if thats not a swimsuit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, that's a good approach! I did that on my first camino. Black underwear and a T-shirt on top
I did bring a swimsuit on the VdlP though, used it twice or 3 times but frankly, there was no need, plan B would have worked equally well

I went for a dip in the thermal waters at Ourense (pants and vest top quite adequate). There are various opportunities to swim on the VdlP - the river at Zamora, the embalse before Rionegro, to name just a couple. I'm sure pilgrims can be creative with the clothes that they walk in, but as stated above a few items of swimwear don't weigh much if the children are more comfortable in them.

Most read last week in this forum