• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vdlp or Camino mozarabe?

Antnix1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Mozarabe
Hi all. Im 42m. I did the CF 2 years ago at the beginning of October from st jean pdp. I hadn't done any long distance walking before. I loved the meseta and despite walking into November the weather was mild and dry with maybe 0 degrees in the mornings at times and fairly lucky that it didn't rain much.

It was a party environment at the beginning. I enjoyed the meseta. And by the end, well i didn't love the crowds especially after Sarria but they thinned out for Santiago to Finisterre.

Ok now my question. I'm finishing up work in mid January and decided to do a camino de Santiago. Should I do the vdlp or mozarabe? I had my eye on starting vdlp in Seville but seems starting the Mozarabe in Almería is an alternative worth considering.

I only started researching both routes as i had wanted to do el norte but wasn't able to go in September and i think it's not a good option in January.

I'm not too worried about fitness as i don't have any injuries and did the inca trail earlier this year. I'd be more worried about bad weather and mud - I'm sure i can tolerate a few difficult days but i want to be realistic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am in the same place. I've walked the VdLP multiple times (2), but never at that time of year. It's not social compared to other routes. Just to explore, this next time, Iim going to try the Mozarabe. I expect to meet no one, Once I get to Merida, back on the the VDlP, maybe i'll meet someone... but whatever. As long as I know ahead of time what to expect I'm cool with it.

Last edited:
One small point, i visited Seville incl the cathedral on a day trip years ago so seeing it again isn't important.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Damien. How did you find Seville to Merida?
I'm thinking an Almería start might be pleasant and then join vdlp later

Hi Damien. How did you find Seville to Merida?
I'm thinking an Almería start might be pleasant and then join vdlp later
Long days sometimes. Like I think I walked 36km without a water source on day 3 or 4, It wasn't bad because I knew in advance. On the first day I decided to combine the first two stages. I ended up saving a goat. but that is a different story.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are more or less obligated to register with the trail angels in Almeria, Nely and the team. As they closely manage the walkers up to Granada. This tends to create the party atmosphere for the first week or so if there's enough of you. But this changes by Granada, whereupon you can proceed as you want.

I found the rest I walked alone with occasional meetups en route and in towns and hostels. After Cordoba very much solo.
In this stage I camped and used police refugios a few times.

Lots of olive plantations and field systems, waterways and agriculture. Look out for the more discreet cafes and bars where you can get a good meal for a fair price.

Long days sometimes. Like I think I walked 36km without a water source on day 3 or 4, It wasn't bad because I knew in advance. On the first day I decided to combine the first two stages. I ended up saving a goat. but that is a different story.
I really want the goat story!
Anyone else vote for this?!!

Hi all. Im 42m. I did the CF 2 years ago at the beginning of October from st jean pdp. I hadn't done any long distance walking before. I loved the meseta and despite walking into November the weather was mild and dry with maybe 0 degrees in the mornings at times and fairly lucky that it didn't rain much.

It was a party environment at the beginning. I enjoyed the meseta. And by the end, well i didn't love the crowds especially after Sarria but they thinned out for Santiago to Finisterre.

Ok now my question. I'm finishing up work in mid January and decided to do a camino de Santiago. Should I do the vdlp or mozarabe? I had my eye on starting vdlp in Seville but seems starting the Mozarabe in Almería is an alternative worth considering.

I only started researching both routes as i had wanted to do el norte but wasn't able to go in September and i think it's not a good option in January.

I'm not too worried about fitness as i don't have any injuries and did the inca trail earlier this year. I'd be more worried about bad weather and mud - I'm sure i can tolerate a few difficult days but i want to be realistic.
My thoughts exactly. I don't have time to complete in one go but my idea, for mid Feb, is to start in Almería and go as far as Córdoba or Mérida before returning in 2025

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

They are both good routes. I walked in early April so I can not comment on January weather. That said, it is probably warmer than the Norte.

Mozarabe- If you start in Almeria, the local Camino organization is very supportive to Granada. The route is desert like with lots of vegetable and then Olive groves most of the way to Cordoba. Adequate accommodation and the only real tough day is the climb to Moclin, especially if you walk from Granada. There was a section after Pinos Puente where you have two options. I took the trail vs. road and ended up on an animal trail and had to cross a creek with thigh high water. Granada and Cordoba are both very interesting cities to visit. The other starting point is Malaga but you miss Granada on that route. You finish in Merida, lots of History here. I met very few people on this route and there is little to nothing between daily destinations.

VdlP- Start in Sevilla, Another good walk. The biggest issue here, imo, is daily distances. The choices are short days or long days. You always needs to carry more liquid. Again, initially, a desert like environment. there is adequate accommodation and I met more Pilgrims along the way. There is a fair amount of roman, Turkish/Christian architecture some small villages created during Franco regime. The community albergue in Aldeanueva del Camino was filthy, I recommend Albergue la casa de mi Abuela. It was pristine.

I do not think you will have any problems walking either but do not expect them to be like the CF. They are very different as far as daily walking distances, type of accommodation, encountering other Pilgrims environment etc.

I really want the goat story!
Anyone else vote for this?!!
While we’re waiting for the goat story, here’s mine (Pakistan, 2004):

Passu is a small village about ninety minutes by minibus further up the Karakoram Highway from Karimabad. Like Minapin, Passu is a beautiful patchwork of green fields and stone walls set in magnificent surroundings. Snow-capped mountains surround Passu on all sides; the most spectacular of them, known to foreigners as The Cathedral, has a series of jagged stalagmites rising up from it like gothic spires. There are several glaciers a short walk away, and two rickety wooden suspension bridges, reminiscent of something out of the Indiana Jones movies, are also nearby.

One of those bridges, the one closest to Passu, was the scene for one of the funniest moments of the entire trip, when a Pakistani man attempted to cross the bridge with his goat. The wooden planks were too far apart for the goat to negotiate the bridge on his own, so the man had to carry it. I thought he would take it in his arms as he would a baby, but that was not the case. Instead, he used ropes to tie the goat’s legs together, much to my bemusement. Eventually he hoisted the goat up and, with Wendy’s help, put it on his back and wore it as a backpack; both of the goat’s front legs were tied to the equivalent back leg, creating two open circles into which he could slot his arms. The man slowly crossed the flimsy bridge in this fashion, and the screams of the tormented goat echoed all over the valley.

140233674_da559d0bdf_o.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dove Story On the French way in the woods I was walking with 2 others we were chatting I heard a commotion in the woods about 50m away loads of squawking. I walked into woods over brambles and logs etc to the scene of the commotion. To see about 12-20 crows jumping and dive bombing something. I walked right up to a metre away they scattered amongst loads of feathers was a dove I looked at him he looked at me he was stunned I motioned towards him and then he flew away and that’s the end of the story.

I meant to tell you (not sure if i did already!), on the Grimaldo - Carcaboso stage i rescued a sheep with its head seemingly stuck in a fence. It looked like it had tried to eat some tasty grass the other side of the fence but got stuck. It looked fairly calm besides.

I ran up the slope towards it to see if it would move and rightly enough it couldn't.

All it really needed to do was lower its head and walk backwards but try explaining that to a sheep.

Anyway, I forced its head down and pushed forward enough that the sheep took a few steps, more to the side than backwards but it did the trick and it ran away happily.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back