• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarjeta Dorada

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
I have seen the information here regarding how to get a senior card for RENFE. Does anyone have experience using this or similar card for Alsa and other bus companies?
Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Lynne,
I did a little scouting on Alsa's website. The first thing you have to do is join their "Bus Plus" system -- kind of like the airlines' frequent flyer program from what I can tell here: http://www.alsa.es/en/bus-plus/your-club/ And it looks like you can do that online.

Then, once you have done that, with a passport/DNI (national identity document, which would be what other Europeans would use), you qualify for the cheaper fares, looks like the discounts are pretty good. http://www.alsa.es/en/offers/bus-plus/over-60s-up-to-40-discount-no-limits

I hope I sent you the links in English! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Do you have your dates yet? Is it back to the Vdlp for you?

I thought you might pick this one up, Laurie! You're the queen of details like this! thanks:)
Not sure yet how we'll go from Madrid whether train or bus. I like the senior program for both.
I believe (although obviously not a lucky date) we will leave when we always do - 25 April. Doggedly starting from ill-fated Caceres and on to SdC via Sanabresa again.
Thanks, and hope your camino/camino planning is going well!
Buen camino!
lynne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's also possible - when buying your ticket in the ticket office - to just say "Para jubilado..." and show your passport. That worked for me every time last June! I got a substantial discount.
Good luck!

It's also possible - when buying your ticket in the ticket office - to just say "Para jubilado..." and show your passport. That worked for me every time last June! I got a substantial discount.
Good luck!

Hello Stephen,
Is this for the bus or train? I did notice sometimes when you buy an alsa bus ticket there is the separate price for senior citizen on the website. However on the renfe site, if you put in the senior citizen preference, you will b asked to put in your senior citizen card number or you won't be eligible for the discount.

Hello laurie,
I tried to register for thr senior citizen card for alsa. Run into problem because i do not have an address in spain. Any idea on how to get around it. Yes the discount is pretty good at 40% everyday. Thanks in advance.

How about putting in the address of the albergue where you have been working? I know it's not the case that the discount is only offered to Spanish citizens or residents, so I don't think this would be improper. Kind of like when I send packages up to Santiago - I have to give an address in Spain as the return address or they won't send the package, so I usually just put in the address of the hostal where I'm spending my first night and all is fine. Let me know if that works! Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
thanks, i will do that.

Hey, piogaw, I just checked out the website to see about signing up and noticed that the place where you have to list a Spain address is entitled "Sending Data/Contact" so I think that confirms that you don't have to be a resident of Spain to enroll, you just have to have an address to receive things. So putting in an address where you can sometimes be reached seems like the smart thing to do.

thanks a lot,

i did not realise that i am already a member of busplus with alsa. during my visit last year to spain, apparently my friend put in an application for me. so thank you anyway. now i will be entitled to big discount on every bus trip with alsa.

no you do not really have to have a spanish address, but you must fill that section up to include a post code. i suppose you can use any address as long as you have an email address. this is how they contact you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back