• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tarptent

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I've seen a couple different models made by tarptent.com that I'm interested in (rainbow and scarp) but they're slightly pricey. Are there any good quality, low cost alternatives for an ultralight tent?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Tarptents are pretty well priced for a specialty handmade item. I have one and consider it a bargain. Compare them to zpack and they look quite affordable. As far as a really cheap alternative, no the generic Chinese ultralight is not out there so far as I know. There are few bugs on the Camino.....I could see sleeping out with no tent unless it is rainy, and go for the albergues if it is. Or, something like this:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/ultralight-tents/msr-e-wing-yellow.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the looks of Tarptent, at least the two models I mentioned, because it's lightweight and is an actual tent, with protection from bugs and the elements. How durable are they?

The materials are thin and light, so you need to take care with zippers and such, but we have had ours on several trips with nothing tearing or breaking. They are well made by people who actually use them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I like the looks of Tarptent, because it's lightweight and is an actual tent, with protection from bugs and the elements.[ quote]

Have you camped on the Camino where "bugs and elements" were so bad as to require a full tent? I have camped on the Frances, and just sleeping under the stars was a good option. One night, with the poor planning which comes when one has the security of full camping gear, we slept in the tent, way off route in a thunderstorm. Even then there was a barn nearby I'm sure we could have used.

Have you camped on the Camino where "bugs and elements" were so bad as to require a full tent?
I haven't walked the camino yet, but in any case if I'm going to get a tent, it will be for use other than just the camino.

Thru-Hikers on the PCT hike a lot farther than the Camino (2660 miles) and use TarpTents with no problem...so durability is not a problem. I'll never understand why people pack tents on the Camino, but that's where WYOW comes in. :) If money is an issue, the Big Agnes Copper Spur is a great tent, as is the Fly Creek, but I prefer the side entry of the Copper Spur to the front entry of the Fly Creek. Me, I haven't slept on the ground except for once in over a year and a half and several hundred miles of backpacking and hiking...I'm a "hanger" now and wouldn't do it any other way! :) My whole kit is at 5.9lbs, which is about what my ground set-up is, and twice as comfortable, rated to 20F.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The only problem is that I'm not planning to use trekking poles. I'd rather get a pilgrim staff when I start.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Look at some of the Six Moon design tents, there are a few that are in the $150 range but you need to do the seam sealing (or pay them $30) and most use Trecking poles but have the option of aluminum or carbon fiber poles - so that 150 is min with the high getting up to $240 or so for the cheapest all set to go.

Just watch the length, I'm 6'3" and thinking that they may be a bit short due to the way that come to a point at the head end.

I think my parents might get me the tent. I put the Scarp 2 on my Christmas list, and my dad was looking at it earlier. But he just called me, and apparently he's been doing more research. He suggested I look at the MSR CR2. It looks smaller on the inside (absolutely no possibility of sleeping three, like the Scarp can do, if only just barely). He said it sounds like it's more waterproof. Is this true? I hadn't read anything negative about the Tarptents. Recommendations?

My husband and I love love love our tarptent double rainbow. It is lightweight, easy to pitch, well-ventilated, roomy enough for a backpacking tent and has convenient double side entry. And it was a bargain compared to comparable tents.
We have no leakage issues with it at all. Of course, like with all our previous tents, we sealed the seams.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does the tent not come with seams already sealed? Seems like that's something that should be included. What do you use to seal them?

Does the tent not come with seams already sealed? Seems like that's something that should be included. What do you use to seal them?

Tents like this cannot be factory tape-sealed. It has to do with the material they are made with will not stick to factory tape.

This is what the Henry Shires, the president of tarptent says. It applies to many backpacking tents, especially those made by small companies:

It's a good question but the simple answer is that there is no machine capable of seam-taping siliconized ripstop nylon. If it were machinable we would/could do it but it isn't and we just have way too much production and nowhere near enough space or reliable weather to hand paint them all outside. For those of you who don't know, we have started offering a $5 seam-sealing kit which makes the job pretty easy and straightforward. The premix silicone goes on easily with the included foam brush and eliminates all the hassle of otherwise mixing up silicone with paint thinner.

It's not difficult or expensive to do yourself. Just get the $5 kit with the tent. And some companies, including tarptent I believe, will also do it for you for maybe $25.

Your MSR CR2 looks like a nice tent, and it is factory sealed. It is a pound heavier than the tarptent, and a couple hundred dollars more. I personally prefer single wall tents like the tarptent. I don't like to mess with rainflies - it is a lengthier set-up and rough if the weather is bad.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not interested in a tent for the Camino, but I am for other hiking. I have a question: doesn't your gear get wet if it is left in a vestibule that has no groundsheet and the side does not come right down to the ground? I'm thinking the 3man tent would be good to take for two people plus their packs, and then you could still cook in the vestibule if it were raining. It weighs hardly any more than some of the 2man options.

I'm not interested in a tent for the Camino, but I am for other hiking. I have a question: doesn't your gear get wet if it is left in a vestibule that has no groundsheet and the side does not come right down to the ground? I'm thinking the 3man tent would be good to take for two people plus their packs, and then you could still cook in the vestibule if it were raining. It weighs hardly any more than some of the 2man options.

We use a Tyvek footprint. We bought a sheet of Tyvek and cut it to the right size, including the vestibule spaces. After a few machine washes, it's very soft, like fabric, and very strong, lightweight and easy to pack. We only leave boots, shoes and poles in the vestibules.

We prefer to keep our packs in the tent. I'm a side sleeper, so I use a 48" Big Agnes blow-up mat. My pack stays at the foot of the tent to "extend" my mat. My husband is a back sleeper, and at home, likes a pillow under his knees. In the tent, his pack is his knee pillow.

So a two person tent works for us. But yes, it is snug - aren't all so-called "2-person" backpacker's tents more like 1-1/2 person tents? :)
If you don't mind the extra ounces and want extra interior room for your gear, a 3-person would be more appropriate.

I made a silnylon ground cover for the vestibule of my tent. In dry conditions it just covers the ground. I added snaps to it so in wet conditions I can pull up the edges and snap them together over whatever I'm storing in the vestibule, making a little waterproof bundle. I usually keep my gear inside with me so the only things out there are my shoes, Platypus water bladder (which I don't want to roll over in my tent during the night), gloves and a few other odds and ends.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tyvek works fine for ground covers if you can find a small piece. I use a thin sheet of plastic I picked up at The Dollar Tree. I use it under my hammock to put my pack. With my ground setup, I never put anything like that in my vestibule. It always stays dry, even in Oregon rain. :)

Tyvek works fine for ground covers if you can find a small piece. I use a thin sheet of plastic I picked up at The Dollar Tree. I use it under my hammock to put my pack. With my ground setup, I never put anything like that in my vestibule. It always stays dry, even in Oregon rain. :)
I'm curious to know what hammock you are using. At least I assume it's a hammock since you referred to yourself as a "hanger".

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I use a heavy weight trash can liner inside my pack to keep my things dry and sometimes leave my pack up against a tree or on the ground. I'm concerned about the contents of the pack rather than the pack itself.

If bugs are not a problem, there are a number of inexpensive SIL nylon tarps out there. And if you are not using trekking poles, they can be tied between trees, rocks, over fallen limbs etc. It forces one to be creative. But even if it does get buggy, mosquito bets can be found that are also inexpensive but again take some creativity.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm curious to know what hammock you are using. At least I assume it's a hammock since you referred to yourself as a "hanger".

I use a Hennessy Hyperlite most of the time, but I have an OES MacCat Deluxe tarp instead for better coverage than the stock tarp it comes with. My total sleep system (hammock, tarp, stakes, UQ, TQ, and all relevant guylines, etc) weighs 5.9lbs (my base weight, minus food, water, clothes is around 10-12lbs for actual backpacking, not the Camino). It's not any lighter than my ground setup, but it does go to 20F, which allows for year round use in the Pacific NW. I backpack year round and am getting ready to do some snow camping in the next two weeks. :) I also have a custom hammock from UK Hammocks, made of spinnaker cloth and it weighs about 4oz. Still working on finding a tarp that will work for it as it is longer than my Hennessy. BTW, I know people who have hung along the Camino...as with using a tent, I don't see the point...it takes away from the communal aspect of the walk...which is just my opinion...WYOW. I could care less how people do their Camino...and I'll help you find the lightest and greatest gear! :)

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back