• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrain

efdoucette

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Camino Frances
Since 2011 - too many to list
Hello all,

Can anyone give me approximate percentages of the different types of terrain on the Le Puy to St Jean PDP route? I get a sense that it is less paved than on the Frances. The reason I ask is I will be walking in Sept and I have Merrell Moabs, one pair Gortex (almost worn out but very comfy) and one pair non-Gortex (new-ish) and am thinking about mud paths and which ones to wear.

Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In April- May I encountered quite a bit of mud on a few sections of the Le Puy route, but I'd be surprised if it was that muddy in September. There are sections of the Le Puy route where you are on tar-sealed roads, but for much more of it you are on 'farm roads'. There are some quite well formed walking paths, there are a few stony/rocky sections, and in places it's quite 'grassy' underfoot. All up, it's quite variable, but I couldn't say what the percentage was of each.
Margaret

It has been slick mud for three weeks, but it will dry!

I would estimate that 15% is natural path. The rest is a mix of senda, tractor road, and pavement.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great, thank you for your replies.
Eric

I have written elsewhere that the French confraternity has organized the Chemin from Le Puy to Figeac so that your morning will start with a good stiff climb – an excellent method in which to insure that your respiratory and cardiac systems are in good working order. Nothing challenging mind you but in general, the gites are located in the villages and towns situated in the valleys while the daily walk is up high meaning at the end of your day you will almost always face a steep descent when you are focused on your Miam Miam Dodo and not on the path-beware!. The terrain also insures very poor communication, in many places you will find no reception for cellular phones. Lastly, be flexible! Again the French authorities have no hesitation to send we pilgrims on a 2 kilometer detour slip-sliding down a ravine, across a rickety bridge hand built by previous pilgrims from river stones and flood washed tree trunks, scrambling up the other side all in order to save the 350 meters of a walk on the tarmac. Keep a good eye on your map and the terrain in front of you.
Be prepared for a marvelous walk through natural beauty passing through medieval villages and amazing religious architecture. Do not count on any lunch which you have not already prepared, the Spanish experience of multiple café/bars does not work in France. And lastly beware the dreaded Monday, shops open Saturday and half Sunday closing before you arrive on Sunday. Monday most if not all will be closed meaning "No soup for you!"

Thanks Scruffy1, always insightful. How as your French?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No French no Problem! I can read French very well, can't speak more than "elevator " French and cannot understand simple sentences.there are places along the Chemin where the locals speak something even French have trouble understanding (which also causes them to laugh hysterically). Trust your MMD as to languages spoken and have the gite reserve the next evening for you-not a question of concern about a place to sleep but it is always better to let them know that you want your dinner or not-a courtesy allowing the purchase of needed food etc.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...