• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Journey

hopefultraveller24

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Hopeful here. Canadian (yay!), from B.C (yay!) but living in Alberta (rolling my eyes and gagging). Hopeing to do my Camino in 2024. It feels like a long way away. At that point it will be a decade from the time I started planning to walk. So many many things happened over this last decade and my life took sharp turns I wasn't expecting; life is like that... Anyway. I expect to get my degree in Anthropology by then and will be ready to move towards a new chapter. I am 56 now and will be 59 when I walk it the first time. I don't feel older than 30 but time and gravity can throw a kybosh into the best laid plans. I am determined this time. I am due for knee surgery sometime next year. Everything is slow because of covid. Surgeries are backed up, so I have no idea when it will happen but I am giving myself three years to have this done and to get back to walking. I want to see the running of the bulls or be in the tomato fight at least once in my life and it happens right around my birthday so I will plan for that...

I have thought about staying after...the best thing with my work in ethnography and research is that in some cases, I can do it from where I am in the world. So I am hoping to be able to travel and work, hopping between Canada and where ever else I am travelling. I have thought of doing a research paper on the Camino so that is in the back of my mind as well.

Anyway...said a lot more than I intended to.

I borrowed this from James Arlington Write; an excerpt from The Journey:

The secret
Of this journey is to let the wind
Blow its dust all over your body,
To let it go on blowing, to step lightly, lightly
All the way through your ruins, and not to lose
Any sleep over the dead, who surely
Will bury their own, don’t worry.​

Buen Camino everyone...may your walk lead you to your destination...

Best,
Hopeful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Hopeful here. Canadian (yay!), from B.C (yay!) but living in Alberta (rolling my eyes and gagging). Hopeing to do my Camino in 2024. It feels like a long way away. At that point it will be a decade from the time I started planning to walk. So many many things happened over this last decade and my life took sharp turns I wasn't expecting; life is like that... Anyway. I expect to get my degree in Anthropology by then and will be ready to move towards a new chapter. I am 56 now and will be 59 when I walk it the first time. I don't feel older than 30 but time and gravity can throw a kybosh into the best laid plans. I am determined this time. I am due for knee surgery sometime next year. Everything is slow because of covid. Surgeries are backed up, so I have no idea when it will happen but I am giving myself three years to have this done and to get back to walking. I want to see the running of the bulls or be in the tomato fight at least once in my life and it happens right around my birthday so I will plan for that...

I have thought about staying after...the best thing with my work in ethnography and research is that in some cases, I can do it from where I am in the world. So I am hoping to be able to travel and work, hopping between Canada and where ever else I am travelling. I have thought of doing a research paper on the Camino so that is in the back of my mind as well.

The secret​

Of this journey is to let the wind​

Blow its dust all over your body,​

To let it go on blowing, to step lightly, lightly​

All the way through your ruins, and not to lose​

Any sleep over the dead, who surely​

Best,
Hopeful.

I hope your plans come to fruition, and I hope to see you on the Camino in 2024!

Best wishes and Buen Camino to you
Davey

Sounds like a plan 24. It’ll come round before you can say boo. And you have plenty of time ahead of you. I like your quote. Some people know how to say something just right, don’t they. Judging by what you write in your post, the Camino will fulfil your hopes. It’s a wonderful experience. A long time in the planning for you to be sure but worth the wait and I hope it all comes together just so…. One thing for sure, you’ll be in good company once you get there.
Good luck with your preps.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

The secret​

Of this journey is to let the wind​

Blow its dust all over your body,​

To let it go on blowing, to step lightly, lightly​

All the way through your ruins, and not to lose​

Any sleep over the dead, who surely​

Best,
Hopeful.
I had bilateral knee replacements in 2017. I had not been able to walk much before the surgery due to pain. I did aggressive physio for ten weeks after the surgery and then for week eleven my family went to Waterton Lakes and hiked 54 km in four days. You will be able to do it! We were going to do the camino frances last fall but covid stopped the trip, so we went to Jasper and Banff and hiked 450 km over the month of September. God willing we will be doing the frances this fall, as it looks like Canadians should not have a difficult time getting into Spain.
Terence

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back