• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The sounds you hear before someone answers

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
This may be a silly question, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. The telecommunications industry has done a great job in standardizing how their systems connect on a technical level, allowing us to seamlessly call anywhere in the world using a number of different infrastructures built and owned by different companies. But one area they seem to have missed in their standardization is that last connection, where they are connecting to human ear.

I call the number and then I hear a noise. At home, I know exactly what that noise means. Whether it is indicating that the phone is ringing but no one has answered yet (ring, pause, ring, pause, etc.) or whether it indicates that the line is busy and I should hang up and try again later (beep, pause, beep, pause, etc.), or whether it indicates that there is something wrong with the connection and I should redial and try again right away (rapid series of beeps).

But I have noticed in other countries that they don't use the same sounds. That means when I call someone, I don't know if I am hearing a ring tone or a busy signal or if there is something wrong with the connection and I don't know if I should wait or hang up.

Does anyone know the sounds they use in Spain to distinguish these things?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok, well, this may be a silly answer and definitely not helpful, but it is a rainy day and we can all use a laugh (though not intended or directed to be at your or anyone's expense);

.. -- .- --. .. -. . / .-- .... .- - / .. - / .-- .- ... / .-.. .. -.- . / .-- .... . -. / ... -- --- -.- . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... / .-- . .-. . / - .... . / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .-- .- -.-- / - --- / -.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. -.-. .- - . ..--..

Copy / Paste here to translate;

https://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html

Those noises you hear.... they're just the agencies switching on their recording machines. Nothing to worry about.

As I recall the 'ringing' tone in Spain is an elongated 'morse code' dash and the engaged tone a dot. The 'you've forgotten to add the international dialling code so that your call can be routed via that box outside your house..' is a continuous 'booooooo'. But this is all in my sparse recall: it might have been Sweden.

The easy solution is to 'phone someone and ask

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum