• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

There are seven of us. Will accommodation be a prob?

Perth pilgrims

Time of past OR future Camino
Not decided (may 20th2015)
Ever time I mentioned the Camino Another person joined so we are now 7. We plan to walk from Burgios(?) or perhaps the northern Spain route. Can anyone give us some tips? I am a little concerned about 7 people turning up looking for accommodation. Also we don't want to miss out on meeting other pilgrims. We are starting 20 May for one week. Thanks a lot.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you were looking to stay in albergues, it will depend on the size of the albergue and how early you get to your destination each day. If you haven't already done so, you might want to pick up a Camino guide (like the one by John Brierley) which gives you an idea of what albergues are available in each town and the number of beds they have available. I did the Camino on my own, but I made friends along the way and a group of us (which was of comparable size to yours) would often agree to meet at a particular albergue and on all but one occasion we were all able to get into the same place. We generally arrived at our destination in the early to mid-afternoon.

One option you could consider is trying to book places in albergues in advance. You won't be able to do this with albergues that are run by the local parish, a pilgrims association or the municipal authorities, but you may be able to do this with private albergues. I was able to book places in advance at private albergues in the Basque Country and La Rioja during my first week on the Camino. Private albergues do, however, tend to be smaller than the parish, association or municipal albergues.

Failing that, you could look at staying in pensions or hotels. You should definitely be able to book those in advance, and the pensions in particular aren't too pricey - 25 to 35 euros for a night. I was able to walk into a pension on a few occasions and successfully get a room, but I was on my own. You may want to contact them the day before given there will be seven of you.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If your not walking late into the afternoon finding accomodation in a albergue should not be a problem, and if the albergue is full then you still have time to find a pension room.

I would caution you not to try to go into an albergue as a group, arrive as individuals or pairs. I have seen larger groups turned away, there's nothing wrong about knowing others staying there, just don't give the impression that you are an organised group, ie. Matching Tshirts etc.

Additionally the Frances route has the best accommodation option

If your not walking late into the afternoon finding accomodation in a albergue should not be a problem, and if the albergue is full then you still have time to find a pension room.

I would caution you not to try to go into an albergue as a group, arrive as individuals or pairs. I have seen larger groups turned away, there's nothing wrong about knowing others staying there, just don't give the impression that you are an organised group, ie. Matching Tshirts etc.

Yes, that's good advice. Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal had a sign stating that large groups would not be admitted. There were a group of about seven or eight of us who knew each other and had agreed to meet there but we arrived separately so it wasn't a problem. As ffp13 says, just don't let on that you're in a big group together.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rabanal, love that albergue have been a guest there 5 times, I particularly like the old church, no gold leaf and marble, just centuries of community and feeling. I'll be back again this summer

If you were looking to stay in albergues, it will depend on the size of the albergue and how early you get to your destination each day. If you haven't already done so, you might want to pick up a Camino guide (like the one by John Brierley) which gives you an idea of what albergues are available in each town and the number of beds they have available. I did the Camino on my own, but I made friends along the way and a group of us (which was of comparable size to yours) would often agree to meet at a particular albergue and on all but one occasion we were all able to get into the same place. We generally arrived at our destination in the early to mid-afternoon.

One option you could consider is trying to book places in albergues in advance. You won't be able to do this with albergues that are run by the local parish, a pilgrims association or the municipal authorities, but you may be able to do this with private albergues. I was able to book places in advance at private albergues in the Basque Country and La Rioja during my first week on the Camino. Private albergues do, however, tend to be smaller than the parish, association or municipal albergues.

Failing that, you could look at staying in pensions or hotels. You should definitely be able to book those in advance, and the pensions in particular aren't too pricey - 25 to 35 euros for a night. I was able to walk into a pension on a few occasions and successfully get a room, but I was on my own. You may want to contact them the day before given there will be seven of you.

Thank you for such a swift response. This is much appreciated as we are having our firt training walk on Easter Monday so I will be able to relay your advice on to our group. I will order up a book guide - thanks for the tip. I am also heartened that you always managed to find a bed - at least we won't be homeless!
Thanks again
Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Matching shirts made me smile - it has just been suggested by one of us! Better avoided.

I have joined the Confraternity of St James and am just about to order up our pilgrim passes. Does that mean we will have separate credentials or will we just get one for the group? I think not arriving together is very good advice - and unlikely to happen as I will be the proud leader of the stragglers!

Thank you so much for your help

Anne

Matching shirts made me smile - it has just been suggested by one of us! Better avoided.

I have joined the Confraternity of St James and am just about to order up our pilgrim passes. Does that mean we will have separate credentials or will we just get one for the group? I think not arriving together is very good advice - and unlikely to happen as I will be the proud leader of the stragglers!

Anne
Hi Anne, separate credentials for everyone in the group if you are going to book in separately and also to get your compostellas.

Anne

I am also a member of the Confraternity of St James and I got a credential from them before I left. The way I understand it, they only issue credentials to members - so if you're the only member, you're the only one who they will give a credential to.

Each member of your group will need to get a credential - you cannot access the albergues without them, as they are proof of being a bona fide pilgrim. If the other members of your group cannot get one in advance, that's not a problem. They can get one from the starting point. If that's St Jean, they can get them from the Pilgrims Office; if that's Roncesvalles, they can get one from the big albergue there; if it's Burgos, I imagine they would be able to get them from the big pilgrims association albergue there, otherwise the cathedral or the tourist office there should be able to help out with that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Each person has a separate credential. After all you may start together but not be together all the way. As a group you would be advised to set some ground rules. You don't have to be together all the time. Each one of you should feel free to walk or spend time alone, to walk a different distance any day, to stay in a different town, whatever is right for one person may not be always the same for another. You can always stay in touch by phone.

Goodness I am so surprised and so grateful at how quickly members have come to our aid. I have never been on ANY forum before and I want to thank everybody including you - but
Welcome to the forum. Here is a link to the full list of accommodation along the Frances, it will give you an idea of whats available and you can ring ahead if you wish to make reservations in the private ones.
Buen Camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/
thank you for your welcome. I just wrote a reply but it has disappeared so, at the risk of repeating myself, I am just so touched that members have come to our aid so quickly. we are having our first training walk on Easter Monday so am looking forward to reporting back to the group. Thank you again for your help - and everybody else as well.

I am also a member of the Confraternity of St James and I got a credential from them before I left. The way I understand it, they only issue credentials to members - so if you're the only member, you're the only one who they will give a credential to.

Each member of your group will need to get a credential - you cannot access the albergues without them, as they are proof of being a bona fide pilgrim. If the other members of your group cannot get one in advance, that's not a problem. They can get one from the starting point. If that's St Jean, they can get them from the Pilgrims Office; if that's Roncesvalles, they can get one from the big albergue there; if it's Burgos, I imagine they would be able to get them from the big pilgrims association albergue there, otherwise the cathedral or the tourist office there should be able to help out with that.
Thank you. I think I joined as group rep for three years so I am hopeful they will issue each of us with a credential given that I have just realised there may be difficulties travelling together all that way. It's good to know we can get them in Burgos too so thank you for that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Each person has a separate credential. After all you may start together but not be together all the way. As a group you would be advised to set some ground rules. You don't have to be together all the time. Each one of you should feel free to walk or spend time alone, to walk a different distance any day, to stay in a different town, whatever is right for one person may not be always the same for another. You can always stay in touch by phone.
I think that's a very good ideas to have ground rules. As you say people are likely to need a bit of space from time to time. Also with seven at least one of us is likely to get eg. Blisters, sore joints so it would be good not to feel pressured about holding other people back. I will put this to our group on Easter Monday and see what we come up with. Thanks for your advice

I agree with Al. The key is to remain flexible and independent from each other, yet set up some way to stay connected as well. There is nothing wrong with staying at different places, meeting for the evening meal and discussing the next day's destination. You don't want to be joined at the hip, in other words.
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with Al. The key is to remain flexible and independent from each other, yet set up some way to stay connected as well. There is nothing wrong with staying at different places, meeting for the evening meal and discussing the next day's destination. You don't want to be joined at the hip, in other words.
Buen Camino!
Yes I think it is very good advice. Some people like to forge ahead and others like to take their time. It can be off putting if you walk with someone who likes a faster pace than you do. So thankyou for that.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Time to throw in a last word, even in a smallish group of seven people you will find great difficulties in maintaining a walking pace that suits everyone. Let all go as free spirits only fix a meeting place for lunch and evening, a natural way to insure staggered arrivals. Seven people together also is somewhat discouraging on the social front. Walking separately will encourage new found friendships and camaraderie which otherwise may not be possible. Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Help there just wanted to check that I'd thanked you for your post
Time to throw in a last word, even in a smallish group of seven people you will find great difficulties in maintaining a walking pace that suits everyone. Let all go as free spirits only fix a meeting place for lunch and evening, a natural way to insure staggered arrivals. Seven people together also is somewhat discouraging on the social front. Walking separately will encourage new found friendships and camaraderie which otherwise may not be possible. Buen Camino
Hi thanks for that. Yes I know what you mean. A group can develop it's own dynamic and start to be rather off putting for other people. I think we need to discuss this as a group and see what we can do to make sure we don't put new friends off. I like your idea of rendezvous rather than marching along together. Maybe a bit of both.thanky Anne

We just have our latest Bulletin from CSJ (UK) and as a further service to pilgrims there will be a folding type credencial for sale to non-members, hopefully soon after Easter. This will be available to non-members through the online shop. (Currently not yet showing on-line.) Members will be able to chose the old style, or the new one, when applying as before.

Also you could buy your credenciales from Ivar along with your forum badges. :)

Last edited:
Rather than discuss a large group getting into an Albergue. .... that has been answered well by others, I have been thinking about you wanting to meet other pilgrims. My response to that is do not walk as one group, and more so don't take over cafe tables and huddle together. Spread out, be open towards others. Ask people to join you for a coffee or a meal. The big group can be quite daunting for solo walkers so it up to the group to invite others to share with you. Sorry, that sounds a bit preachy but you know what I mean.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rather than discuss a large group getting into an Albergue. .... that has been answered well by others, I have been thinking about you wanting to meet other pilgrims. My response to that is do not walk as one group, and more so don't take over cafe tables and huddle together. Spread out, be open towards others. Ask people to join you for a coffee or a meal. The big group can be quite daunting for solo walkers so it up to the group to invite others to share with you. Sorry, that sounds a bit preachy but you know what I mean.
Yes I agree daunting is the word. I know I would be put off. But hopefully we will be mindful of others and not make anyone feel swamped. Many thanks. Anne

Yes, that's good advice. Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal had a sign stating that large groups would not be admitted. There were a group of about seven or eight of us who knew each other and had agreed to meet there but we arrived separately so it wasn't a problem. As ffp13 says, just don't let on that you're in a big group together.

Well that's pretty abusive advice, frankly.

--

To answer the OP, the private refugios typically have no rules concerning large groups, plus they frequently take reservations, so it would be best to look at these first.

Seven people is not a "large" group anyway, it's medium-sized -- so many of the refugios not accepting "large groups" would likely often accept yours, depending of course on how crowded the Camino will be during your journey.

Just remember that the smaller donativo refugios cannot reasonably be expected to take in a group of seven, and that attempts to do so are attempts to deprive other pilgrims of their due.

Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal is OK, but nobody's going to "fail" their Camino by sleeping elsewhere.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well that's pretty abusive advice, frankly.

--

To answer the OP, the private refugios typically have no rules concerning large groups, plus they frequently take reservations, so it would be best to look at these first.

Seven people is not a "large" group anyway, it's medium-sized -- so many of the refugios not accepting "large groups" would likely often accept yours, depending of course on how crowded the Camino will be during your journey.

Just remember that the smaller donativo refugios cannot reasonably be expected to take in a group of seven, and that attempts to do so are attempts to deprive other pilgrims of their due.

Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal is OK, but nobody's going to "fail" their Camino by sleeping elsewhere.
From reading this forum and others experience I think it's now unlikely that we would turn up encase. Two of us have the option of taking a small light weight tent. Thanks.

By paying a small fee and joining the Australian pilgrim organisation [ www.afotc.org ], you can then order the Australian credential, one for each member. Plus you get regular newsletters etc with an Australian theme.
Buen camino
Alan
Be brave. Life is joyous.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.