Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tineo - Hospitales

scubajunky

OK, so I have a Spanish app but I don't speak Spanish, I'm in Tineo now and just realized that to do the Hospitales route is going to be a huge walk, the weather is going to be perfect, am I missing out by not doing the hospitales route ? should I take a short walk to borres tomorrow and then go for it or is the alternative equally a cracking walk ?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Hospitales is a cracking walk, if you can get into Borres do it. I stayed in Campiello in late July but heard from friends that stayed at Borres in the same night that it was packed and there was dozen of tents pitched outside, it made for a special night.

Both are great routes--if you are feeling really strong you could wake up early, have a nice breakfast in Campiello, and then continue on Hospitales up to Berducedo. Especially if you've made a reservation at one of the private albergues then you wouldn't need to worry about time/arriving for a bed! It is about 40 hard km, but it's a really beautiful walk. Otherwise, splitting the day in 2 is a good option!
Albergue Camino Primitivo: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-camino-primitivo#bloque-informacion (which does respond quickly to emails in my experience)
Albergue Camin Antiguo: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-camin-antiguo
or Casa Marques (which rents rooms from I think 22 euros?)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
well I'm in Tieno now, so I will walk to borres tomorrow and then do the hospitales from there, I think the split is after borres ??
walking from Borres to the next Alberge, how many km is the via the Hos Route of course ?
Thanks in advance

well I'm in Tieno now, so I will walk to borres tomorrow and then do the hospitales from there, I think the split is after borres ??
walking from Borres to the next Alberge, how many km is the via the Hos Route of course ?
Thanks in advance

About 26 kilometers. If it has been busy so far, best to phone ahead to Berducedo and book a bed.
Albergue Camino Primitivo Teléfono: +34 680 625 036

Enjoy :)
Tio Tel

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We (myself and @TerryB) stayed at Herminia's in Campiello and she has a well stocked shop. There might be supplies in Borres but we walked in 2012 so our information about Borres is out of date as there is more there now I think.

so borres hosputales route is 26km no shops or water, is borres a good place for supplies or should I get them in campiello ?

Definitely stock up in Campiello. Borres has a bar, which may sell a few scattered supplies, but both Herminia and her competitor have a shop in Campiello.

You will have no trouble getting a bed in Campiello if you're starting in Tineo, it is short. Savor the view after you get up to and walk along the ridge after Tineo, I think it is one of the most beautiful views on the Primitivo.

It seems like you've already made up your mind, but I would say that the route to Berducedo via Pola de Allande is also very beautiful. It is shorter but has more elevation gain, so I guess that makes it harder than Hospitales. Hospitales has the exhilaration that comes from walking for a few kms along a high ridge with open views in all directions.

As others have said, either way will be great. The two meet up in Puerto del Palo (the pass, the highest point), so no matter which way you go you will be high up and get good views. Buen camino, Scubajunky!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Thanks to those of you who have wished me Buen Camino pm! My plan was Salvador/Prim, but 1) cold feet because of a knee (old injury) and 2) would have to rush with no possibilty of short/rest...
We are arriving in Madrid on May 5th. I went online today to purchase train tickets to Oviedo and it doesn't show any train service. Does that mean the trains are sold out? Or maybe some other...
Hi, has anyone walked the Primitivo in mid-October? What was it like? Weather, tracks and accommodation? I plan to walk from Oviedo to Lugo only, then bus to Santiago after. Thanks for your input.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back