• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To Ghent on Thursday 4th October ....

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
So I have been back in the UK two weeks and I need to continue on the Camino - I got a flight to Belgium and feel a Way from Ghent, Sebourg into France to head towards Vezelay - does anyone have contacts for 'refuges' along the Via Scaldea????

Don't you just love the way ...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Dutch Society of St. Jacob has an online interactive map which could be useful for you. You can zoom in for the Via Scaldea, and be sure to tick the box PW-BE (which means pilgrim path Belgium). Then also tick the box OV-BE (which makes accommodations visible as little colored balloons on or near the route; when in France also tick OV-FR).
When you click on a balloon, a pop-up appears with info like name, adres, phonenumber and all that. Most adresses are individual pensions and campsites. Unfortunately for you it is in Dutch, but Google Translate goes a long way... Bon chemin!

The Dutch Society of St. Jacob has an online interactive map which could be useful for you. You can zoom in for the Via Scaldea, and be sure to tick the box PW-BE (which means pilgrim path Belgium). Then also tick the box OV-BE (which makes accommodations visible as little colored balloons on or near the route; when in France also tick OV-FR).
When you click on a balloon, a pop-up appears with info like name, adres, phonenumber and all that. Most adresses are individual pensions and campsites. Unfortunately for you it is in Dutch, but Google Translate goes a long way... Bon chemin!
Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello @futurefjp

In 2014 I hiked from Marmande (near Bordeaux) via Paris, Amiens and Ghent to Amsterdam. In Belgium I found the church deacons (diacre) helpful and hospitable. In Ghent a priest at the Klooster van de Paters Augustijnen said his community was about to open a pilgrims herberge. Perhaps this is up and running...

Here's a link to a resource I put together afterwards (Amiens - Amsterdam) :

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/amiens-to-amsterdam.27701/#post-278643

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Hello @futurefjp

In 2014 I hiked from Marmande (near Bordeaux) via Paris, Amiens and Ghent to Amsterdam. In Belgium I found the church deacons (diacre) helpful and hospitable. In Ghent a priest at the Klooster van de Paters Augustijnen said his community was about to open a pilgrims herberge. Perhaps this is now up and running...

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/amiens-to-amsterdam.27701/#post-278643

Cheers
Lovingkindness
Excellent news fellow pilgrim!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... I now have to meet a friend in Reims on the 11th/12th so I think I will walk until the 11th and then hitch from there ... the Via Francigena comes out of Reims I think? But at Reims he wants to head backwards ... towards Canterbury!

... I now have to meet a friend in Reims on the 11th/12th so I think I will walk until the 11th and then hitch from there ... the Via Francigena comes out of Reims I think? But at Reims he wants to head backwards ... towards Canterbury!
Yes, the via Francigena goes through Reims... and all the Champagne vineyards:cool:
Good luck :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Be sure to visit the cathedral in Reims. Not only for the amazing stained glass windows (and of course the smiling angel of Reims), but also to meet some of the volunteers of the Association Randonneurs et Pelerins 51. They are usually present at midday. They helped me out with a stamp, up-to-date info about the route and extra addresses of accommodations on the way to Vezelay. Some very dedicated and knowledgeable people.

Hello @futurefjp

In 2014 I hiked from Marmande (near Bordeaux) via Paris, Amiens and Ghent to Amsterdam. In Belgium I found the church deacons (diacre) helpful and hospitable. In Ghent a priest at the Klooster van de Paters Augustijnen said his community was about to open a pilgrims herberge. Perhaps this is up and running...

Cheers
Lovingkindness
It is not. Apparently they had some issues

Here in France there is a often a Chain of Local ( donativo )
Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Check to see if such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists where you might wish to travel in France.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here in France there is a often a Chain of Local ( donativo )
Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Check to see if such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists where you might wish to travel in France.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!
Hi,
I'm heading into France tomorrow from Tournai. I struggled to find any accommodation other than very expensive. I wound up in the Auberge de Jeunesse. Tomorrow I'm heading to Condé-sur-l'Escaut but I'm a bit worried there is no Amis St Jacques network in that part of France?

Am I going to struggle to find a bed? Should I start asking the priest???

Hi,
I'm heading into France tomorrow from Tournai. I struggled to find any accommodation other than very expensive. I wound up in the Auberge de Jeunesse. Tomorrow I'm heading to Condé-sur-l'Escaut but I'm a bit worried there is no Amis St Jacques network in that part of France?

Am I going to struggle to find a bed? Should I start asking the priest???

Go the the Mairie aka Town Hall or the Office du Tourisme . They can give you info regarding possible gîtes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning a hike in that area for next fall, and found some relatively inexpensive Air BnB's in Northern France -- 20-50 euro. I've stayed at Air BnB's in the past and found them to be good experiences. You might want to check that out.

Hello, I walked last year a variation on the Via Sacaldea, From Ghent, over Tournai, Saint Quentin, towards Reims. My daily distances were about 30 kilometers less or more. I sent an attachment to this reply, with the places I slept. Mostly "Chambre d'hôtes", Bed & Breakfast.

Attachments

• logementen via Scaldea.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
For Belgium, you may also try the Dutch website Vrienden op de Fiets ~ Friends on Bicycles. They are a network of families who offer a sleeping place and breakfast to bikers and hikers. Fixed price for one night is €19. (Plus a little more due to local taxes.) Membership is €8 for one year.
The website used to have an English version but that seems to have disappeared.

https://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl/nl

Tap 'Gent' in the search window in the middle of the page, choose the option "Gent, Belgium" and wait until the map with locations appears. By scrolling the map you can see if there are enough addresses on your route to merit a membership.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took the wrong way, ended the day in Saint Armand les Eaux ... I took the wrong shell. But maybe it was meant to be. Now I am so far off the Via Scaldea to think I have to continue towards Saint Quentin, but then I'm a million miles from Reims going that way. I have struggled to find anywhere to sleep. I ended up in Raismes as I was told to catch a bus to a Maison du Diocesé as they ok'd me sleeping here. When I arrived they realised they had no attendant to supervise me at night ... So now I am hopefully staying with an employee ... But the closest path is that managed by Saint Jacques en Boulangrie and that heads to Saint Quentin. I'm a bit bewildered. Perhaps the way isn't really so established after Belgium with other Amis St Jacques in this part of Nord France?

Now I am so far off the Via Scaldea to think I have to continue towards Saint Quentin, but then I'm a million miles from Reims going that way.

Walking through Northern France is tough enough as it is, and you're bound to keep struggling when you stray off the Via Scaldea. If I would be in your place I'd walk to Valenciennes tomorrow and take a bus* to Sebourg which would put you back on the Via Scaldea. Good luck!

* Bus Line 131, twice daily (12:29 and 17:08) from Valenciennes Marly Place to Sebourg Eglise, about a 15 mn drive for €2,-.

Last edited:
Hi there @futurefjp

You may find the GR Sentiers de Grandes Randonees website helpful :
https://www.gr-infos.com/gr-fr.htm

Sebourg to Reims:

1 GR 122a : Sebourg (close to Valenciennes) to Hannapes
2 GR 122 Hannapes to Chappes
3 Chappes to Justine-Herbigny (follow the D114 + D14)
4 GR 654 Justine-Herbigny to Reims

Cheers
Lovingkindness

ps I haven't walked any of these trails.

Walking through Northern France is tough enough as it is, and you're bound to keep struggling when you stray off the Via Scaldea. If I would be in your place I'd walk to Valenciennes tomorrow and take a bus* to Sebourg which would put you back on the Via Scaldea. Good luck!

* Bus Line 131, twice daily (12:29 and 17:08) from Valenciennes Marly Place to Sebourg Eglise, about a 15 mn drive for €2,-.
Where to sleep in Sebourg???

I unintentionally strayed ... This sign is the problem!

So. Five days. 150 Kms. Not another pilgrim, which I like, but struggled to connect with any Mairie or Parish in France. Was quite surprised. Oh well. Here I am in Reims. Perhaps in the spring I come back for the GR654? It would be a more legitimate way.

Oh how I love Flanders. I think I'm heading back to England that way. And why not ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back