• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

To the April fools,

Angel-hart

Time of past OR future Camino
April, May 2016
Just a note to all those who started the Camino France's in or near April 1-31. Just got back from Finestere a couple of days ago. Most all the folks that started on April 01 had a wonderful experience. It rained before us, after us and on us. Cool days, cool nights in no heat or low heat places to stay, many of us were and still are slow walkers finishing in 40+ days to Santiago.

Deb and I were surprised to meet up with so many in Santiago, and Finesterre. People we thought that due to injuries may not make it, or were ahead or us mostly all did make it. One man from Austrailia passed and his wife finished for them both.

Small towns treated us well and made our Camino experience delightful, one of the best a donitivo place in a small town, and a pension in a town of 40.

Australians, Koreans, Americans, Germans, English, Norwegianas, People of Ireland, Switzerland and more. Many "last suppers" at the ending points, making friends, talking about our experiences. The Camino spirit was lit and alive in us all. Right down to a woman giving her seat up on the full bus in Finesterre yesterday morning.

Want to experience a great Camino? Be an April Fool!

Deb and Rob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree! Was an April fool myself (Leon to SDC) finishing on 30 April. Met amazing folks from all over and can't wait to get back. Planing SJPDP to Burgos next April.

I was an April Fool too!! Burgos to Astorga. Drizzled somewhat nearly every day but since that a treat for me I really enjoyed it!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just a note to all those who started the Camino France's in or near April 1-31. Just got back from Finestere a couple of days ago. Most all the folks that started on April 01 had a wonderful experience. It rained before us, after us and on us. Cool days, cool nights in no heat or low heat places to stay, many of us were and still are slow walkers finishing in 40+ days to Santiago.

Deb and I were surprised to meet up with so many in Santiago, and Finesterre. People we thought that due to injuries may not make it, or were ahead or us mostly all did make it. One man from Austrailia passed and his wife finished for them both.

Small towns treated us well and made our Camino experience delightful, one of the best a donitivo place in a small town, and a pension in a town of 40.

Australians, Koreans, Americans, Germans, English, Norwegianas, People of Ireland, Switzerland and more. Many "last suppers" at the ending points, making friends, talking about our experiences. The Camino spirit was lit and alive in us all. Right down to a woman giving her seat up on the full bus in Finesterre yesterday morning.

Want to experience a great Camino? Be an April Fool!

Deb and Rob
Rob and Deb, it was great to meet you two, and didn't we have fun!! Hopefully we will meet again one day. xx keep us posted on your travels.

Hi Deb & Rob, thanks for the info.
Did you travel across Route Napoleon on 01 April? or via Valcarlos?
Did it take long to get into the routine and groove?
cheers
Pat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was an April fool once...arrived in SdC on April the 1st. It was a delightful journey!
:D:rolleyes:
Ultreia!

Rob and Deb, it was great to meet you two, and didn't we have fun!! Hopefully we will meet again one day. xx keep us posted on your travels.

You two were such an inspiring couple. Helpful, fun to be around, and great fun to talk with. Hope we stay in touch, we got to Valencia today for our break days.

Deb and Jeff

cheers
Pat
Sorry to get back so late. We've been traveling a bit in Spain. We were asked by the offivpce in SJPP to go Valcarlos, all of the early April fools agree there is plenty of hill there to hike. I would go that way again, it is a good walk.

Deb and Rob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am not sure if I qualify but I just got home - did SJPP to Santiago 4/14-5/22. A wonderful experience but physically harder than I expected though I trained very hard. Cold, wet, muddy,challenging and rewarding. I was told it would get easier but I am not sure if ever did.

cheers
Pat

We did go over Valcarlos route as the Orrison route was closed. It takes a couple of weeks to get into a good groove. The walk was challenging for us. I trained a lot and found the combination of walking with another person or other people, the terrain, weather, food, and lodging to take time to get used to.
I took a plastic box for a lunch everyday and found that small thing to be one of the best things I did. Each day we walked our distance, would get settled in at the albergue or were we were sleeping and found it was off times for the local businesses. So we ate our lunch or snacks or whatever we got that morning on the way then. Took a little sleep time and then we're ready later for dinner.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back