• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel advice UK to Oviedo

Winchester09

Hey guys & gals,

My wife and I plan to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo in July. We're currently planning how to get there.

Does anyone have any advice on travel from the UK?

We live in the South so flying from Southampton or London. We have used night trains on previous journeys to save daylight hours, is this an option in Spain?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Winchester09'
I've some recent experience. Flew to Oviedo from Stanstead (only available flights we found) in the autumn on our way to Ferrol and the Ingles. The flight arrives fairly late in the evening and with no sign of the reported bus we ended up with a taxi ride the 55k to Oviedo at the usual €1 / k rate. Oviedo airport is near Oviedo like Stanstead is near London.

This spring I am walking Leon - Oviedo on the Salvador and then on from Oviedo on the Primitivo. I'm flying Gatwick - Madrid and taking the train to Leon at considerably less expense than the previous trip. There appear to be plenty of trains to Oviedo, depending on your flight times you could probably do it in the day unless you fancied a bit of Madrid night-life....

If you are not too constrained by time you could check out the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (Brittany Ferries) and then ALSA bus or FEVE train round to Oviedo. Return to Santander using ALSA to Oviedo and then either ALSA or FEVE on to Santander. Allow sufficient time to get back to Santander from Santiago. It might be time and cost effective especially if you add in 3 nights in a hotel - it brings the cost down as a holiday package.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Being picky, "Oviedo" airport is actually Asturias airport.

I flew from Stansted, I had a reservation on the 2nd bus after I arrived to give myself some leeway and time for a couple of beers in the airprt :) Bus was there bang on time, driver was really helpful. No complaints whatsoever.

Alternatively you could get a bus/taxi to Gijon which is much closer, there are buses and trains from there to Oviedo. Bus station is just on the edge of the city centre at the northern end. Train station is just next door.

If you feel brave there is actually a camino path which goes from near enough the airport to Oviedo. When I finished the Salvador I had a couple of spare days and thought it might be pretty cool to just walk to the airport. I didn't in the end, I was so knackered by the Salvador it was nice to have a rest.

Two options seem to work (I'm going to assume you know the way from Southampton to London):

1. Get a flight from Stansted (STN) (Easy Jet 3 - 4 times per week) to Asturias (OVD) and (hopefully) catch the (ALSA) bus to Oviedo (47km)

2. Go to Madrid via London (Easy Jet, Ryanair, etal) and catch the (Renfe) train or (ALSA) bus to Oviedo. This option has significantly greater frequency of service.

Asturias airport
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Asturias/en/

Madrid airport
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA
http://www.alsa.es/en/buy-and-schedules/

Hey guys & gals,

My wife and I plan to walk the Primitivo from Oviedo in July. We're currently planning how to get there.

Does anyone have any advice on travel from the UK?

We live in the South so flying from Southampton or London. We have used night trains on previous journeys to save daylight hours, is this an option in Spain?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
I flew easyJet from Stansted, arriving about 3pm. The buses from the airport were every hour or so - no probs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are not too constrained by time you could check out the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (Brittany Ferries) and then ALSA bus or FEVE train round to Oviedo. Return to Santander using ALSA to Oviedo and then either ALSA or FEVE on to Santander. Allow sufficient time to get back to Santander from Santiago. It might be time and cost effective especially if you add in 3 nights in a hotel - it brings the cost down as a holiday package.
I used the ferry and the FEVE last year. That was such a peaceful beginning and end. This year there are 2 new options. DFDS Seaways are already operating from Poole to both Santander and also Gijon at half the price of Brittany Ferries! Used it to Gijon twice now and it is really good. Starting later this month 'Brittant Ferries Economie' service is starting from Portsmouth to Santander - described as a no-frills ferry service at a price to compete with DFDS. I loved using the ferry especially on the way home as it broke me back into 'real' life slowly. Even the FEVE train was such a simple way to travel and it gave me the opportunity to see the countryside. Buen Camino

All booked now, checked out all the options and easiest/cheapest for us was the following:

Flying Gatwick to Asturias via Barcelona (Gatwick had more flights and easier to get to for us than Stanstead) then bus to Oviedo.

Will be counting the days.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Travelers looking to visit the City of Light from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will soon have another flight option. Beginning May 23, Air France will start offering a new non-stop...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back