• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Madrid - Segovia - Oviedo - Irún

Nice & Steady

Time of past OR future Camino
Under 3 hours from Madrid to Oviedo. New high speed train starts this service tomorrow. Good option for those wanting to walk the Camino Primitivo.

More here:
Google couldn't translate this to English. Does the train stop in Segovia?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is already a high speed train from Madrid to Segovia. It takes about a half hour, and a quick look at the schedule showed me 30 departures tomorrow!
I would like to go from Madrid to Segovia, Segovia to Oviedo the next day, and then find my way to Irun. Can I see the highlights with a day each in Segovia and Oviedo? I'm confused by all the different buses and bus stations and the fast/slow/trains/stations. I know I need a bus to go from the train station to Old Town Segovia but don't know what the bus is called.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to go from Madrid to Segovia, Segovia to Oviedo the next day, and then find my way to Irun. Can I see the highlights with a day each in Segovia and Oviedo? I'm confused by all the different buses and bus stations and the fast/slow/trains/stations. I know I need a bus to go from the train station to Old Town Segovia but don't know what the bus is called.
Madrid to Segovia is easy, and when you get to the train station, you won’t have any trouble finding the bus, because many, if not most, of the people getting off at this station will be taking the bus to town. This article says that the train will stop at Segovia, Valladolid, Palencia and León. After Pola de Lena the train will share the tracks with Cercanías and will stop in Mieres, Oviedo and Gijón. So that means that you should be able to find a high speed train from Segovia to Oviedo.

When you search on Renfe.com (the national rail website), you will see what trains are offered on which routes. In addition to the AVE, the fastest, there are other fast trains, Alvia and Avant. But all you need to know are your starting and ending point, and the website will tell you what your options are.

Not sure if you mean a full day in Segovia and a full day in Oviedo, or if you mean you would travel in to Segovia on one day and then leave the next. I personally don’t think that’s enough time to see either place, and you might want to choose one and skip the other on this trip, to have a longer time in one of the places.

Madrid to Segovia is easy, and when you get to the train station, you won’t have any trouble finding the bus, because many, if not most, of the people getting off at this station will be taking the bus to town. This articlesays that the train will stop at Segovia, Valladolid, Palencia and León. After Pola de Lena the train will share the tracks with Cercanías and will stop in Mieres, Oviedo and Gijón. So that means that you should be able to find a high speed train from Segovia to Oviedo.

When you search on Renfe.com (the national rail website), you will see what trains are offered on which routes. In addition to the AVE, the fastest, there are other fast trains, Alvia and Avant. But all you need to know are your starting and ending point, and the website will tell you what your options are.

Not sure if you mean a full day in Segovia and a full day in Oviedo, or if you mean you would travel in to Segovia on one day and then leave the next. I personally don’t think that’s enough time to see either place, and you might want to choose one and skip the other on this trip, to have a longer time in one of the places.
Thank you Peregrina2000. I have looked at the Renfe site and just wasn't confident that I had all the information I needed. I feel better about firming up my plans now. I have 3 days to get from Segovia to Irun and I was hoping to spend a full day in both Segovia and Oviedo.

I think you are setting yourself an insurmountable challenge. No, you could not arrive in Segovia, see the “highlights” and leave the next morning to do the same in Oviedo. To gain any real experience or understanding of either requires time that you are not offering. Take the train from Madrid to Irun. Enjoy Irun and, presumably the Norte. Save the sightseeing till you have time to see the sights.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think you are setting yourself an insurmountable challenge. No, you could not arrive in Segovia, see the “highlights” and leave the next morning to do the same in Oviedo. To gain any real experience or understanding of either requires time that you are not offering. Take the train from Madrid to Irun. Enjoy Irun and, presumably the Norte. Save the sightseeing till you have time to see the sights.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment and will rethink my plans. I tend to get excited and want to see and do everything. My main goal is the del Norte.

The del Norte is beautiful and demanding. If you want to see an amazing sight on the del Norte, walk 2km south (or taxi) from Santillana del Mar and spend a couple of hours in the Museo Altamira. Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is already a high speed train from Madrid to Segovia. It takes about a half hour, and a quick look at the schedule showed me 30 departures tomorrow!
How far out can one book tickets on Renfe? Do you anticipate that the introduction of the new high speed rail service to Oviedo will change the schedule during 2024?

How far out can one book tickets on Renfe? Do you anticipate that the introduction of the new high speed rail service to Oviedo will change the schedule during 2024?
I think you can book tickets about two months in advance. My advice is to just keep checking the website to see how far ahead things are open. Today, for instance, I see train schedules from Madrid to Oviedo up until Feb. 15, 2024. That’s almost three months, so who knows what method there is to their madness.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back