• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel from Osorno to El Burgo Ranero or mansilla De las Mullas

nene2016

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016 -370km
Hey all,

Just wondering could anyone help me out, because of my flight times in to Santander I don't think my original start point is possible so was looking to start in El Burgo Ranero or Mansilla de las Mullas. Can't seem to figure out the way the train work to either, would bus or train be better ?

Very excited and nervous to start this weekend on my first Camino, it'll be about 340 km to Santiago woohoo :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey all,

Just wondering could anyone help me out, because of my flight times in to Santander I don't think my original start point is possible so was looking to start in El Burgo Ranero or Mansilla de las Mullas. Can't seem to figure out the way the train work to either, would bus or train be better ?

Very excited and nervous to start this weekend on my first Camino, it'll be about 340 km to Santiago woohoo :)

Nene2016,

Try using www.Rome2Rio.com to see how to get to either spot from Santander.

Happy research and Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alsa (www.alsa.es/en) has a bus from Osorno to Mansilla de la Mulas (daily except Sundays if I'm not wrong). That would be your best choice if your starting point is Osorno but I don't know why your starting point is Osorno if there's no Camino de Santiago that goes through Osorno. The same bus stops if Sahagún, if you wanted to start there.

If you want to travel by train from downtown Santander (or from Osorno), you would need to go South all the way till Palencia. Once in Palencia, you would need to take another train to head North to El Burgo Ranero.

Depending on your arrival date to Santander, you could even take a bus to Mansilla de las Mulas from downtown Santander...

There is ALSA bus service from Santander to Leon (with transfer at Oviedo) and Leon to Mansilla de las Mulas. This is recommended option on basis of frequency of service.

There is ALSA bus service from Santander to Osorno (enroute to Palencia) and Osorno to Mansilla de las Mulas (Burgos to Leon).

There is Renfe train service from Santander to Palencia and Palencia to El Burgos Ranero.

There is more frequent Renfe service from Palencia to Sahagun ... so it might be worth considering taking a taxi from Sahagun to El Burgos Ranero.

My suggestion is to take the train to Sahagun to get there by Friday noon. Find a place to stay other than an albergue. You don't want an albergue so you can stay up late. Make reservations ahead of time if possible. Sahagun is having their annual Saints Day festivities this weekend and it includes fireworks, concerts and a few running of the bulls (and a few events not to be spoken about here.) Peg and I were there for the start of it last year and loved it.

The schedule (in Spanish) can be seen here: http://www.joseluisluna.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=933&catid=2

See photos from last year at: http://www.joseluisluna.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=873&catid=25

Peg and I took three days to walk to Leon from Sahagun and the third day wasn't so great. You may want to take the train from Sahagun to Leon instead and start your camino from there.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
El Burgo Ranero was one of the real highlights of my walk. I had a fairly short easy stroll to there from Moratinos on 14 March 2014. It reminded me a bit of a wild west town as the countryside was flat without much feature. There's a big trucking station on the eastern outskirts so it's probably on some major trade route.

But quite unlike many of the other near deserted pueblos, this place was buzzing. A lot of people, lots of school kids too happily playing in the streets. The municipal albergue ("donativo") was wonderful, an old mud and straw building with a lovely small verandah to dry your clothes on, and generally enjoy things. The unceilinged roof reminded me vaguely of some of the mountain huts I've dossed down in here, although it was really quite different -more an atmosphere thing if you like. A couple of good restaurants in the town too. Not too many people there the night I stayed, but sitting in front of the wood fire that night with only the two retired hospitaleros was a great experience.

And it was practically the only albergue I stayed in that had an internet computer that actually worked! "Donativo" again, and I think the "donativo" aspects, and because it was all so good, meant I shelled out more than practically anywhere else on the trip! And the weather was dry!!!

I think there should be transport to Sahagun. It's a much bigger place and pretty good, too - lovely old bridge when leaving the town - , but I didn't see another person in the town while passing through. Moratinos, where I started from that morning was a great experience, too. Try as I might I just couldn't find Rebekah's place so stayed in the newish hostal just entering the pueblo. I was the only guest and they treated me like family. Again, I didn't see another person pass through the pueblo all the time I was there and the downtown area was deserted, too.

De Colores

Bogong (happy memories)

Like Bogong El Burgo Raneto late November was a highlight of my 2014 camino.

Trudging on from Sahagun to El Burgo Ranero was COLD, bleak and solitary. During 5 hours only a handful of pilgrims passed by but all were battling the incessant wind and rain. With great relief I finally arrived at the simple adobe albergue Domenico Laffi and met the friendly hospitalera named Alicia "like Alice in Wonderland!" as she said.

Wonderland indeed! Alice who had just arrived herself would be resident hospitalera for the next two weeks but already had an open fire warming the downstairs common room (there was no other heat) and her lunch was cooking in the kitchen. One other soaked cold pilgrim, Carlos from Madrid, came in. Since it was Sunday and both bars and the village shop apparently closed Alice immediately set the table for three and graciously invited us both to share her meal. Thus the delicious HOT rice, vegs and salad was stretched with his cheese and my biscuits and bananas. In the spirit of Wonderland we all drank several steaming mugs of HOT sugared tea. Alice enjoyed recounting her many camino memories while serving as hospitalera. I sensed that wherever she might be it would quickly be her 'home'; across the years the camino had become her way of life....What a pleasure it was to share her gracious hospitality and joy.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back