• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Types of accomodations in France

AuroraPeregrina

Time of past OR future Camino
Franc18
Port19
Primtv21
RouenMtStMichel25
Mozárabe
Hy, the only route experience that I have in France is my first night in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, in 2019. I mostly walk inside Spain, through different Camino de Santiago routes. But now, I plan to walk for about a week ou 10 days strictly in France, to the Mont-Saint-Michel. I did not see much offer the equivalent of "alberque de peregrinos". In some villages there are "auberge de jeunesse" (youth albergues), which I don't think is the same. So, what would be the better option for someone willing to walk with pilgrimage spirit? A room in family houses ("Chambre d'Hôtes")? Is "chambre d'hôtes" and "accueil miquelot" the same? I got the impresion that accomodation in France will be more expensive than it is in Spain, am I right? My current plan is to walk this time only within Normandy, but in the future I think about other routes, through other french regions. So any thoghts or opinions are welcome.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello @AuroraPeregrina

The equivalent of an albergue in France is called a gite or gite d’etape. And a gite exclusively for pilgrims might also be called a gite des pèlerins.

A chambre d’hôte is like a bed and breakfast.

Both gites and chambre d’hôtes sometimes provide ‘demi-pension’ which means half board, i.e. dinner, bed and breakfast.

Yes, the accommodation is typically more expensive in France than Spain but also typically of a high standard. for example the gites usually have smaller numbers of beds in the dormitories than in Spain, and bunk beds are less common.

Often in France a list of accommodations will be available from a local association. If you can provide the name of the path you plan to walk, there may be forum members with specific experience.

In the meantime, these two sites may be useful

And it links to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Just be careful with the term "gite" in France if you do a search or look at Google maps - the term gite can be used for a wide range of accomodation including gite d'etape which is dorm-like accomodation for hikers etc, but also a holiday cottage for rent, a few farm campsites, even a few b&bs use it.

Auberge de juenesse is a youth hostel- and a few have special rates for pilgrims. I stayed in the one in Genets (just before the sands crossing to MStM) for instance which has small dorms, and are used to a small trickle of pilgrims.

Chambre d'hotes is a like a b&b, accomodation run in someone's house - they vary from simple and comfortable up to luxury (there are 'star' like ratings). Most provide breakfast, a few may offer a pre-booked dinner

Accueil miquelot - these are families, couples, individuals who open up their own home to host pilgrims. Most will offer to feed you dinner. They do this out of the goodness of their hearts, and a donation is strongly suggested! I stayed with a few - and they were memorable. Having some French makes this option more enjoyable- but I know one couple I stayed with in Vendee (further south heading to SdeC) had about 8 weeks before me, a Spanish pilgrim whose French was bonjour & merci (google translate helped). Less travelled pilgrim routes in France often local associations who have worked hard to find hosts to help pilgrims make such journeys.

Except for more travelled routes like the Tours and Puy which have many gites d'etape aimed at pilgrims - many other routes rely on a wide range of accomodation. This means a very different feel than the pilgrim style accomodation of the camino in Spain. And yes the accomodation will generally be more expensive in France than the albergues in Spain.

A few spots (especially the voie de Capitales one between MstM and Nantes) have campsites that offer rando-cabins. These are designed for hikers/bikers (rando is shortened form relating to walking/hiking in French), and are basically a raised wooden platform with sides and roof which provides a shelter without needed to bring a tent

PS Definitely plan to stay in the pilgrim accommodation on Mont St Michel - it is quite fabulous when the tourist hoardes disappear at night!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hy, the only route experience that I have in France is my first night in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, in 2019. I mostly walk inside Spain, through different Camino de Santiago routes. But now, I plan to walk for about a week ou 10 days strictly in France, to the Mont-Saint-Michel. I did not see much offer the equivalent of "alberque de peregrinos". In some villages there are "auberge de jeunesse" (youth albergues), which I don't think is the same. So, what would be the better option for someone willing to walk with pilgrimage spirit? A room in family houses ("Chambre d'Hôtes")? Is "chambre d'hôtes" and "accueil miquelot" the same? I got the impresion that accomodation in France will be more expensive than it is in Spain, am I right? My current plan is to walk this time only within Normandy, but in the future I think about other routes, through other french regions. So any thoghts or opinions are welcome.
Hi. I have walked from Le Puy to Sjp . I got hold of a french guide book called Miam miam dodo. Means food and sleep. Even though it is in french it’s got brilliant pictograms , so very easy to follow. In it there is all the accommodation, water supplies, shops ect. I dont know if there is one about Normandy but if there is , its a brilliant guide.

Hi
Just be careful with the term "gite" in France if you do a search or look at Google maps - the term gite can be used for a wide range of accomodation including gite d'etape which is dorm-like accomodation for hikers etc, but also a holiday cottage for rent, a few farm campsites, even a few b&bs use it.

Auberge de juenesse is a youth hostel- and a few have special rates for pilgrims. I stayed in the one in Genets (just before the sands crossing to MStM) for instance which has small dorms, and are used to a small trickle of pilgrims.

Chambre d'hotes is a like a b&b, accomodation run in someone's house - they vary from simple and comfortable up to luxury (there are 'star' like ratings). Most provide breakfast, a few may offer a pre-booked dinner

Accueil miquelot - these are families, couples, individuals who open up their own home to host pilgrims. Most will offer to feed you dinner. They do this out of the goodness of their hearts, and a donation is strongly suggested! I stayed with a few - and they were memorable. Having some French makes this option more enjoyable- but I know one couple I stayed with in Vendee (further south heading to SdeC) had about 8 weeks before me, a Spanish pilgrim whose French was bonjour & merci (google translate helped). Less travelled pilgrim routes in France often local associations who have worked hard to find hosts to help pilgrims make such journeys.

Except for more travelled routes like the Tours and Puy which have many gites d'etape aimed at pilgrims - many other routes rely on a wide range of accomodation. This means a very different feel than the pilgrim style accomodation of the camino in Spain. And yes the accomodation will generally be more expensive in France than the albergues in Spain.

A few spots (especially the voie de Capitales one between MstM and Nantes) have campsites that offer rando-cabins. These are designed for hikers/bikers (rando is shortened form relating to walking/hiking in French), and are basically a raised wooden platform with sides and roof which provides a shelter without needed to bring a tent

PS Definitely plan to stay in the pilgrim accommodation on Mont St Michel - it is quite fabulous when the tourist hoardes disappear at night!
How can I get more information about the pilgrim accommodation on Mont St- Michel?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

In about a week’s time I’ll be starting my fifth Camino from Le Puy en Velay, however, I’m interested to know if anyone in this forum has started their Camino from Paris ….. to Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back