• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unmissable Sections of the Frances Route?

Poppy

Hello there,

My boyfriend and I are currently walking the Frances route, and have arrived in Logrono. We are hoping to make it to Santiago, but due to time and money constraints, we would like to walk the most beautiful sections of the route - preferably not beside the highway! What are the highlights?
We would also like to know where the 100km point is before Santiago - can anyone help us with this info?

Happy travels!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Missing parts

Many people skip the meseta - the 230 kms between Burgos and Astorga – as it can be hot, dusty and not much to see in the way of monuments.
From Logrono yiou walk across Navarra and the La Rioja vineyards with several hill ranges to cross.
From Astorga to Sarria – 145kms - there are two mountain ranges to cross taking you to the highest point at 1500m.
The last 115 kms from Sarria are surprisingly arduous with short sharp up hills and steep descents through green subsistence farming, stone walls and eucalyptus forests.
Hope this helps!

huh? no monuments in Castrojeriz, Fromista, Carrion, Sahagun, Mansilla, Leon, the bridge at Orbigo . . . ? On the contrary, the meseta section is the most interesting in terms of monuments, and at this time of year probably very attractive too, with flowers bursting out of every corner and birdsong on all sides. Depends on what you mean by 'beautiful' of course; as the cliche has it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have always found that most places have something to recommend them. If you want woodland, for example, the meseta section is not the place to go; on the other hand, if you want wide-ranging views to distant mountains, then it is. If you like luscious greenery (and rain), then Galicia is ideal. On the meseta section, there are also long stretches along the Roman road, and yes away from the highway.

My recommendation would be to take your time, see as much as possible, and if you don't have time to get to Santiago come back some other time to finish it off.

The 100km is around a little hamlet called Ferreiros between Sarria and Portomarin. Those wanting to only walk the 100km generally start in Sarria, which can easily be done in a long weekend.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unmissable Parts

Oops! Sorry Peter - I boobed on the importance of the monuments between Burgos and Astorga.
One of the highlights for me was Hospital de Orbigo as there was a medieval fiesta on the day we arrived there with decorated horses, knights, maidens in beautiful dresses and dozens of colourful little tents with pennants flying everywhere. We felt as though we had stumbled into a twilight zone!
Personally I loved the meseta from the flat, wide horizons, wheat fields and large flocks of sheep and even to the white plane trails in the sky.
But, generally speaking this seems to be the section that pilgrims with limited time to walk skip.
For some pilgrims, walking the camino is a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience and not everyone has the opportunity to go back and redo parts missed the first time. For those pilgrims, getting to Santiago and earning the compostella will be important. If this is the case for Poppy and her boyfriend, I would stay with my suggestion that they skip the meseta and start again from Astorga.
Buen camino,

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate all of the advice that you kindly offered us. Many thanks.

Such generosity with your time!

All the best -

Poppy

Unmissable parts

You are welcome Poppy!
A Portuguese priest (who has now walked the Camino twice) told us that “Solitude is necessary and often welcome but there are times when we need com-pan-eros, the ones we share bread with; not just the edible type but also the bread of our experiences and the many insights, revelations and learning that we consume as we walk along the Way.”
So, I am pleased to have had the opportunity to share bread with you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back