• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are the Scenic Routes on the Camino Frances well marked?

santhi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey wonderful people. I am walking on the Camino for the first time in May 2025. I love Brierley's maps as they clearly outline the different routes available and the paths the pilgrim can take to avoid the traffic and the main roads. The pilgrim's route is marked in yellow dots and the scenic pathway is marked in green. My question is this: I am walking on my own. Is the scenic route easy to identify while I am walking on the Camino. Are there signages as Ii reach certain juncture so i know where to turn to experience the scenic routes? As I am walking on my own and prefer to use his book as my principle guide, will i face difficulties navigating?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My question is this: I am walking on my own. Is the scenic route easy to identify while I am walking on the Camino.
My recent experience has not been on the CF, but on the Sanabres and Portuguese routes. The complementary routes were generally well marked, with large signs at the start of these in most cases. But there were some that weren't marked at all, and I only found them with the help of locals. In one case, I couldn't find the complementary route identified in Brierley's guide at all.

The CF was similar when I walked it last, but that was some time ago, and the situation there might have changed, with signage installed at more of the points where complementary routes deviated from the main route.

You might find it worthwhile to use one of the smartphone apps like Wise Pilgrim (there are several) or a general mapping app like OSMAnd+ with the routes available as a layer that can be turned on to make them visible on the map when walking. There are several of these general mapping apps available as well. My own preference is for a general mapping app, but I found the Wise Pilgrim app quite good when I used in in 2023. On the CP I also carried Brierley's guide.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My experience on the Frances for the alternate (green) routes this past spring was positive. Well marked. No issues for me.

As @dougfitz said, use one of the Camino apps with GPS.

Here's a screenshot of the Wise Pilgrim app showing the two routes after León.

View attachment 162342
In case it wasn't clear in trecile's post, the advantage of the Camino app with GPS is that it won't just show you the regular and complementary routes, but it will show your own location on (or off) the routes. This makes it much easier, if the route isn't well marked (or if you are momentarily distracted and you miss the yellow arrow telling you to leave the road or path you are on and go onto another one - something that has happened at least once to almost all of us pilgrims, no matter how well the route is marked), to confirm whether or not you are on the route you want and figure out how to get back on your path of choice if necessary.

As @dougfitz said, use one of the Camino apps with GPS.

Here's a screenshot of the Wise Pilgrim app showing the two routes after León.

View attachment 162342
Just a quick renark re your screenshot, @trecile : The route marked with green dots is the old/original Camino route, while the route marked with red dots is an alternative route; Not necessarily more scenic, but in this case, also a much better, quieter route away from a heavy trafficed highway, IMHO.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the CF for the third time in May/June 2023 and took many of the ‘complementario’ routes. I wouldn’t say they are all more scenic than the main route but they are definitely quieter for those who enjoy some time alone in nature. I also used the Wise pilgrim app for the first time and really loved being able to see my little dot making its way along the various routes - very reassuring when signs were more scarce.
I am a complete convert to the world of apps now - having always carried a guidebook before!

Of all the alternative Routes on the Frances i took so far only the Dragonte was not well marked and should not be done without a GPS track of some kind.
And the river route into Burgos is a bit hard to find, but thats only the start, after that its pretty much "follow the river".
All the others i can think of were pretty easy to find and follow, but i might not have taken every single one yet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I purchased the Camino Portuguese version, but I have the free version loaded as well. It's a relatively small cost compared to the totality of any camino.

Another question regarding the wise pilgrim. Did you purchase the app or use the free one available?
I purchased the app. It costs little enough, in the context not just of my whole Camino but in the context of what I am likely to spend in a day, that I was happy to contribute to its development and maintenance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back