• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Urdos to Somport Advice

Greetings pilgrims,

We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route similar to St. Jean to Orisson? Are there services? What would be good for us to know? Thank you if you have something to post.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also walked the Camino Aragones, starting at Lourdes, in 2018.... .

For reasons sufficient unto me I decided to skip that final push up to the Somport Pass. There was a bus from Urdos departing around 9:00 AM, passing first through Canfranc Estacion and then looping up and back to Somport, arriving at around 9:30 AM..... The "Oloron-Canfranc" Line, can probably find info somewhere on the 'net.... Nice bus, nice ride.... Don't recall the price, but it couldn't have been more than a euro or two.

The walk down from the Pass to Canfranc Estacion was astoundingly beautiful! Don't even think of missing it!

Last edited:
Greetings pilgrims,

We are walking next September from Lourdes to Somport and would like to hear stories and adv ice about the section from Urdos to Somport, with the big incline. Is this route similar to St. Jean to Orisson? Are there services? What would be good for us to know? Thank you if you have something to post.
Hola Professor’s, I’ll have some fresh info for you in about 10 days. It may be covered with snow though…😵‍💫

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only real resemblance to the climb from SJPDP is that it's steeply uphill. I much preferred the climb to the Somport pass, however. It's almost all on real trail, which (to my mind, at least) makes it more enjoyable than the slog on pavement on the Frances. It's also spectacularly beautiful, with the high peaks of the Pyrenees looming over you -- snow-covered in May when we walked, though probably not so in September. There are no services or places to stop, however, until you get to the pass, where there is an albergue. (There may also be hotels open in Candanchu, the ski resort within a kilometer of the pass, but they weren't open in May).

There also won't be a crowd walking with you. In fact, we saw absolutely no one once we left Urdos. Thus, pay close attention to the trail markers, as you won't be able to simply follow fellow travelers. We also relied on navigational guidance from mapy.cz, a wonderful free app. with all the caminos already on it -- meaning you don't have to download additional tracks.

From Urdos to the pass it's 13 kilometers, so that's about 3 kilometers less than the climb to the pass between SJPDP and Roncesvalles, and it's about 1000 meters of climbing instead of around 1200 meters of climbing on the Frances. If you don't want to stay at the pass, it's a further 7 steeply downhill (and still gorgeous) kilometers to Canfranc Estacion, with lots of services, and an additional 4 kilometers to Canfranc Pueblo, which boasts one of the great albergues on all the caminos.

I've walked a whole bunch of caminos, and I can't say there have been many other days that rivaled this walk.

Enjoy!

The albergue/store/cafe at the Somport Pass has intermittent open/close hours, so do not depend upon it unless you have confirmed in advance. Instead of staying there, Estacion is about 1-1.5 hours downhill from there and Pueblo another hour. It’s all downhill and worth the extreme walk to stay at the Pueblo donativo.

The only real resemblance to the climb from SJPDP is that it's steeply uphill. I much preferred the climb to the Somport pass, however. It's almost all on real trail, which (to my mind, at least) makes it more enjoyable than the slog on pavement on the Frances. It's also spectacularly beautiful, with the high peaks of the Pyrenees looming over you -- snow-covered in May when we walked, though probably not so in September. There are no services or places to stop, however, until you get to the pass, where there is an albergue. (There may also be hotels open in Candanchu, the ski resort within a kilometer of the pass, but they weren't open in May).

There also won't be a crowd walking with you. In fact, we saw absolutely no one once we left Urdos. Thus, pay close attention to the trail markers, as you won't be able to simply follow fellow travelers. We also relied on navigational guidance from mapy.cz, a wonderful free app. with all the caminos already on it -- meaning you don't have to download additional tracks.

From Urdos to the pass it's 13 kilometers, so that's about 3 kilometers less than the climb to the pass between SJPDP and Roncesvalles, and it's about 1000 meters of climbing instead of around 1200 meters of climbing on the Frances. If you don't want to stay at the pass, it's a further 7 steeply downhill (and still gorgeous) kilometers to Canfranc Estacion, with lots of services, and an additional 4 kilometers to Canfranc Pueblo, which boasts one of the great albergues on all the caminos.

Agree with most of above.. the profile is similar to the climb out of SJPdP, though it's a lot more rugged (and beautiful IMO) and there will certainly be no crowds. Don't count on the albergue/bar at the pass being open.. they suit themselves, and in September, Candanchu will be a ghost town too (maybe a bar open there to cater for maintenance staff). There's a small tienda in Urdos, stock up with food and water for about 5/6 hours of spectacular walking to get you up and over the pass and down into Canfranc Estacion, where there are plenty of services. Get provisions there if you're continuing down to the lovely albergue in Canfranc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

For reasons sufficient unto me I decided to skip that final push up to the Somport Pass. There was a bus from Urdos departing around 9:00 AM, passing first through Canfranc Estacion and then looping up and back to Somport, arriving at around 9:30 AM..... The "Oloron-Canfranc" Line, can probably find info somewhere on the 'net.... Nice bus, nice ride.... Don't recall the price, but it couldn't have been more than a euro or two.

The walk down from the Pass to Canfranc Estacion was astoundingly beautiful! Don't even think of missing it!
It's the 550. Here's the schedule right now. https://transports.nouvelle-aquitai...CIAL Hiver-Fiche horaire Cars régionaux--.pdf

Greetings pilgrims,

We walked this two years after the walk from SJPdP to Roncevalles. They are both beautiful; do not miss it if the day is nice, as it was for us. They are both steep. Combining these two factors, take it slowly, drinking in the beauty. What is different is that peaks tower above you. It's stunning and unforgettable. And there were only a dozen of us who shared the albergue in Urdos walking to Somport. We had a communal meal together and were so excited. We were not disappointed. Bon chemin!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks Rev!

I've walked a whole bunch of caminos, and I can't say there have been many other days that rivaled this walk.

Enjoy!
Thank you Andy for all the great advice. I agree SJPP to Orisson is a slog...and I hate asphalt and concrete.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The albergue/store/cafe at the Somport Pass has intermittent open/close hours, so do not depend upon it unless you have confirmed in advance. Instead of staying there, Estacion is about 1-1.5 hours downhill from there and Pueblo another hour. It’s all downhill and worth the extreme walk to stay at the Pueblo donativo.
Thank you Vacajoe.

Agree with most of above.. the profile is similar to the climb out of SJPdP, though it's a lot more rugged (and beautiful IMO) and there will certainly be no crowds. Don't count on the albergue/bar at the pass being open.. they suit themselves, and in September, Candanchu will be a ghost town too (maybe a bar open there to cater for maintenance staff). There's a small tienda in Urdos, stock up with food and water for about 5/6 hours of spectacular walking to get you up and over the pass and down into Canfranc Estacion, where there are plenty of services. Get provisions there if you're continuing down to the lovely albergue in Canfranc.
Great advice Flog. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked this two years after the walk from SJPdP to Roncevalles. They are both beautiful; do not miss it if the day is nice, as it was for us. They are both steep. Combining these two factors, take it slowly, drinking in the beauty. What is different is that peaks tower above you. It's stunning and unforgettable. And there were only a dozen of us who shared the albergue in Urdos walking to Somport. We had a communal meal together and were so excited. We were not disappointed. Bon chemin!
Thank you Anthony. We have reservations in Urdos. Which albergue?

Greetings pilgrims,

It is a long haul up to the Somport Pass but quite manageable - I have walked it twice but it is probably more demanding than the St Jean Orisson stretch. I have walked up to Somport once following the path and then once along the road, which is easier in my opinion and also scenically superior. The path follows the river and in many places you cant see out above the trees and riverine growth.

Quite a few people take the bus option, but if you are able to do so, I would encourage you to walk it. Lourdes to Somport is a stunningly beautiful route. I could walk it again tomorrow if I got the opportunity.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can't say I remember other than it was on the main street over a deli. We were winging it, going against all advice regarding walking in France. We arrived, the door was open, we selected bunks. When the proprietor arrived, we were asked who we were, scolded for not calling in advance. But they let us stay. No harm, no foul. And they opened the deli below to us so we could get food for our communal cool. A memorable stay, as so many are on caminos.

There's only one albergue in Urdos, so that's where you're probably staying: the gite comunale, called Le Gite Compostelle. If you write them a few days before, Eric, the manager, will alert you to ongoing road construction in the section between Accous and Borce, which will probably require you to take a bus for some or much of that stretch. Here's the email address: lecompostelle.urdos@live.fr

And if you haven't been following the parallel threads about the road construction, here's a link:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...at-cette-eygun-diversion-via-n134-road.85709/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello
Be careful, snow has fallen on the Pyrenees and the path between Urdos and Canfranc-Estacion is snowy.
I am providing the link to the webcams on the Spanish route N330a.
(See the last four from left to right. : Villanua / entrance to the tunnel at Canfranc / Lower crossing of Candanchu / Col du Somport).
Webcam Route DGT.ES
Before Urdos, I understand that a landslide has swept away part of the path at Matabou, in the commune of Cette-Eygun [halfway between Accous and Borce] and that the GR653 is closed at Cette-Eygun as work is now in progress there. In the meantime, a detour via the RN 134 has been set up. 1711664553177.jpeg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back