• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in September near Col de Somport

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Via Podiensis, Voie d'Arles, Aragonés
I will be walking the Voie d'Arles from Pau/Morlàas over the Col de Somport then along the Aragonés as far as Sangüesa in mid to late September and was wondering what to expect in terms of weather

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be walking the Voie d'Arles from Pau/Morlàas over the Col de Somport then along the Aragonés as far as Sangüesa in mid to late September and was wondering what to expect in terms of weather
I walked the Chemin that you mentioned in April. Wonderful to walk that route with only one full day of rain.
I hike twice a week to ensure that I can make it to the Olvidado in September. On Tuesday, no rain was forecast by 6 of the weather applications and it rained for 30 minutes. Yesterday, rain was forecast for 12 noon, and it did rain forcefully three times during the day. So with the current weather, it is anyone's guess.

You could try to see what weather existed in the past years however that is only a guess for this coming year. Personally, not sure what to expect in the mountains in September or October at 1000 meters or above.

I would however recommend you taking a rain trouser, Gore-Tex shoes and a rain cover all that covers your sac dos. Do remember that the weather changes quickly in the Pyrenees like it did when in April, I walked from Oloron Sainte-Marie to Sarrance under a full day of rain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great timing! Just this morning my French son in law Julien and I decided to walk that Camino starting about October 6. Buen Camino or rather, I think, Bon Chemin!
Last night it snowed in the Pyrénees. According to the local newspaper, first time in 100 years that it snowed on August 4th. I should add that it was 0 C this morning at 2500 meters.

Last edited:
The weather is well, the weather. But, I walked the Aragones for the second time in September 2019, starting from Canfranc Estacion on 14 September. The first morning was cold (the Col would be colder), but after that we were heading down from the mountain. The rest of the time was sometimes cool in the mornings and evenings but warm during the day - shorts and t-shirts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The weather is well, the weather. But, I walked the Aragones for the second time in September 2019, starting from Canfranc Estacion on 14 September. The first morning was cold (the Col would be colder), but after that we were heading down from the mountain. The rest of the time was sometimes cool in the mornings and evenings but warm during the day - shorts and t-shirts.
I wonder whether to walk with short sleeve t-shirts or long sleeves. We will see as we enter September.

I wonder whether to walk with short sleeve t-shirts or long sleeves. We will see as we enter September.
We always take the usual layers to 'add on or off' as needed. From the photos on my blog from that walk, most days, by late morning, I ended up in t shirt and just the top half of my zip off pants.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Obviously weather is an unknown, but GENERALLY in September you can expect warm days and somewhat cool evenings (unless it’s a heatwave or a snowstorm!). It’s a great time to walk and you’ll only spend a brief time at the highest elevation on the route as the path climbs and descends quite rapidly at Somport. With layers to don/doff and rain protection, it should not be a problem.

I was just hoping to weed my backpack a bit, but it looks like I might have to plan for all eventualities

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I crossed in mid October 2018 and the weather was warm and sunny. Two days afterwards it poured in the pass. It’s the Pyrenees and the weather can change quickly. In September 2013 I crossed in the rain. You can get a real range of weather and these days it’s less predictable. It’s a beautiful crossing, but as always just make sure you keep your wet gear handy. Keep an eye on the weather ahead of you and perhaps keep a couple of spare days in your pocket so that you can take a rain day off while you wait for the pass to clear. It’s a beautiful crossing and it was wonderful in the warm fall sunshine. Have fun!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I crossed in mid October 2018 and the weather was warm and sunny. Two days afterwards it poured in the pass. It’s the Pyrenees and the weather can change quickly. In September 2013 I crossed in the rain. You can get a real range of weather and these days it’s less predictable. It’s a beautiful crossing, but as always just make sure you keep your wet gear handy. Keep an eye on the weather ahead of you and perhaps keep a couple of spare days in your pocket so that you can take a rain day off while you wait for the pass to clear. It’s a beautiful crossing and it was wonderful in the warm fall sunshine. Have fun!
I have been using a weather application that is pretty accurate called MeteoBlue. It currently shows 14 degrees for the moment and only maximum 24 for today, and for Wednesday, 38 degrees here, not in the Pyrénées.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back