• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

US ATM cards not working

It's never been a problem for me. I make sure to notify my bank before I leave that I will be using my card in Europe.
Never had an issue. Sounds to me more like an issue with not giving your bank a "travel advisory"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Never had an issue. Sounds to me more like an issue with not giving your bank a "travel advisory"
I’ve had to try 3 different banks before I found an ATM that worked…my bank said it was something in the local ATM rejecting the transaction…

Reactions: Sho
Visa... worked in every atm and card machine I've used for the last 30days. In Palas de rei. Use visa MasterCard and Amex are not as ubiquitous. Discover... cut it up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have spent a total of seventeen months in Spain, spread out over 2015-2018. I carry a credit card and a debit card from a credit union, and a debit card from an unrelated bank. ONE day out of all that time none of the cards worked in ATMs at several banks in one Spanish city. I used WiFi in one shop to contact the credit union, and after getting information from them, I concluded that the city had an internet outage and that the ATM messages were misleading.
Summary: American cards will almost always work fine in Spain. (And for what it's worth, I have never had a problem in two dozen other countries. The only other problem was when an ATM in the Beijing airport demanded a six-digit PIN when all my cards have four-digit PINs.)

Which banks woukd they be? I bank with CIBC.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Have you heard about Revolut? They are popular in Europe. They are prepaid debit cards and you can withdraw up to $1000 a month from ATMs without a fee. I haven't used it yet but I'm planning to take it to Spain. Supposedly, getting Euros from ATMs is cheaper than buying them elsewhere.

Not necessarily relevant to this specific situation, but when using an ATM in a foreign country, one should remain alert to the possibility that the layout of the buttons in the PIN-Pad is not the same as that to which one has become accustomed at home. This can trip up users who rely too much on "muscle memory" when keying in their PIN, without actually looking at the markings on the buttons. Crowding up close to the ATM and/or shielding the PIN-Pad with one's other hand (to prevent others from seeing the PIN) increases the chances of making this mistake.

Repeatedly keying in an incorrect PIN can of course trigger the cancellation or lockout of the card.

I have made this mistake myself.

I think there are fees after your initial ‘free allowance’. Think you are from USA so may be better products for you, unless you like the ‘reassurance’ of loading cash up front. ! Lots of folks mention Charles Schwab. I don’t know the details as financial ‘products’ in USA seem very different from European (my continent) ones is some ways!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My credit cards no longer want a travel alert, but the Schwab debit card does (as of April, 2023).

It's never been a problem for me. I make sure to notify my bank before I leave that I will be using my card in Europe.
I notified my bank before leaving the US, then used ATMs at banks during their open hours so I could walk in and get help if I had a problem. Worked for me.

Most read last week in this forum