• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Vax required to return to US?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, 2019, 2022, 2023; Inglés 2024
When I went to the Madrid KLM/Air France counter for my boarding pass two days ago, the clerk told me I had to provide proof of vaccination to fly back to the US (I am a US citizen). I commented that I didn't think this was a requirement and he told me I was wrong, several times, even after I showed him my vaccinations on my health issue app (which he snorted at derisively. He was a pleasure.)

I'm home and have looked at the US requirements as well as the transit exception for the Netherlands and neither appear to require proof of vaccination. Am I reading these requirements correctly? As I said, I'm vaccinated, but I know people who have left the US to travel without vaccination and I'd want to let them know they won't be able to fly back if that's really the case. Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I went to the Madrid KLM/Air France counter for my boarding pass two days ago, the clerk told me I had to provide proof of vaccination to fly back to the US (I am a US citizen). I commented that I didn't think this was a requirement and he told me I was wrong, several times, even after I showed him my vaccinations on my health issue app (which he snorted at derisively. He was a pleasure.)

I'm home and have looked at the US requirements as well as the transit exception for the Netherlands and neither appear to require proof of vaccination. Am I reading these requirements correctly? As I said, I'm vaccinated, but I know people who have left the US to travel without vaccination and I'd want to let them know they won't be able to fly back if that's really the case. Thanks.
Is there not some kind of official government source which might provide a definitive answer?

As of today (June 16), the US government only require non-citizen, non-immigrant (basically foreign tourists) to show proof of vaccination. This can be found at this link:

“Noncitizens who are nonimmigrants and seeking to enter the United States by air are required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States from a foreign country.”

Individual airlines may have their own standard they are following as well as countries through which one may be transiting. Without knowing one’s full itinerary, it’s impossible to say EXCEPT as stated above.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is there not some kind of official government source which might provide a definitive answer?
Yes, which I looked at, but it wasn't clear. Since an airline representative told me I was wrong, I'm checking my understanding of the rule with members of the forum.

We returned from Portugal yesterday , June 16, and can confirm vaccination records were not required to be presented. No COvid tests required to board. No masks on the airplane (United) either. We are both vaccinated and boosted.

Reactions: Sho
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back