• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID Testing for the return to US

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjward

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May 2022
Does anyone know or have experience with using one of the antigen tests (4) that the (US) federal government sent out? To return to the US? Mine have an expiration date of July 4…I was assuming I could just bring it with me and use at the airport. Also, anyone have experience using the tele-med covid test? I was going to purchase one of those closer to my departure with expiration dates in that timeframe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Unfortunately no you cannot use the tests the US government sent. You must either do a telehealth test or get tested in Spain (assuming that is where you are departing from). I used a telehealth test last year coming home from Spain and it was simple to do. It was from eMed. You need an internet connection and phone or computer with a camera so the eMed person can watch you do the test and then read the results. There will be some waiting time from when you log on and then again after take your swabs. The eMed testing works with VeriFLY app for documenting the results of the test.

from the CDC website:

• The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).

@Bill's_Walking is correct. You cannot use the tests that the US government sent out, nor the tests that you can buy OTC at the pharmacy. You must use a test with a telehealth component in which you are observed taking the test via video call.

Here's some information:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If the test is expired, telehealth will not work with you. We tried it with a recently expired kit just to see what would happen and they won’t do their component to fulfill the government’s requirements.We used the binax brand that is approved for travel.

Can I go to a testing site (CVS, Walgreens) and pay to have the test done within a 24 hr period of my flight leaving from the US?

The turn around time at Walgreens where we are (Idaho) was two to three days. This was in 2021for a trip to France. Not sure what’s changed between then and now..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the test is expired, telehealth will not work with you. We tried it with a recently expired kit just to see what would happen and they won’t do their component to fulfill the government’s requirements.We used the binax brand that is approved for travel.
How was your experience with the Binax? Curious how it works with needing WiFi or appropriate data plan as well as the 15 minute wait time for the test to do it’s thing.

How was your experience with the Binax? Curious how it works with needing WiFi or appropriate data plan as well as the 15 minute wait time for the test to do it’s thing.
We ended up following instructions on youtube for how to do it without telehealth (it was literally the only test available to us in the middle of the omicron blitz). The test itself is easy to administer and I think the results are as accurate as a rapid test can be. My understanding is that the telehealth person watches you swab your nose to make sure you did it right, and then you hold up the results for the tester to confirm. I don't know if the tester stays with you for the entire 15 minutes. I watched a video of a guy who says the binax with telehealth option worked well for him before flying home. I would just make sure that I am in a hotel with good wifi for that last morning before flying out.

Can I go to a testing site (CVS, Walgreens) and pay to have the test done within a 24 hr period of my flight leaving from the US?
The requirements for entering a foreign country and for returning to the United States could be different. I think most posters here are referring to the test necessary to enter or re-enter the United States. Every country has their own Covid requirements and you have to check what they are. From my Janaury 2022 experience, I booked a PCR Covid test no more than 72 hours before flying to Portugal because that is what Portugal required at that time. To return to the United States, I booked a rapid antigen test done the day before flying at a clinic in the town where I was staying. Many airports offer Covid tests because of all these rules. And it is better to make an appointment. You must keep updated onthese ever changing requirements because they could change right upuntil your flight!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We ended up following instructions on youtube for how to do it without telehealth (it was literally the only test available to us in the middle of the omicron blitz). The test itself is easy to administer and I think the results are as accurate as a rapid test can be. My understanding is that the telehealth person watches you swab your nose to make sure you did it right, and then you hold up the results for the tester to confirm. I don't know if the tester stays with you for the entire 15 minutes. I watched a video of a guy who says the binax with telehealth option worked well for him before flying home. I would just make sure that I am in a hotel with good wifi for that last morning before flying out.
I will look for the Binax and YouTube. Any chance you could point me in the right direction. Sound like a good plan. Also for leaving the US. What was the cost? Thank you.

I will look for the Binax and YouTube. Any chance you could point me in the right direction. Sound like a good plan. Also for leaving the US. What was the cost? Thank you.
Here you go. The correct tests to travel back to the US can be bought here. Additionally, some airlines have links to suppliers to these tests.

I tried to find the video I watched but it isn't showing up in my history. There are dozens of videos on how to use it with telehealth for travel on youtube. Make sure to search Binax AG. This is the telehealth one that is approved for travel.

The costs (and time lag for results) for taking a test at a pharmacy in the US varies wildly by region. Many insurance companies are covering the pharmacy visit tests, but some locations aren't accepting insurance, so call ahead to find out what they are offering.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went to CVS to get a PCR test to enter Canada and the results didn't come back in time so I was unable to check in and board my flight. It took 4 days for results and I ended up having to cancel my trip 👎👎Testing is really backed up right now!

That's correct, the the telehealth person has to watch you self administer the test. Its pretty easy to do and the over the counter Binax tests that my wife bought are the same as the eMed telehealth ones. But you can ONLY use the ones the telehealth company sells to you: they check it by the barcode as well as check the expiration date of the test. You also have to open the test kit in front of them.

Last edited:
Yes, I too used the Abbott Binax test from Emed when returning from Spain. It was very easy. Just don't break the seal or open any part of the test until directed to do so. They will walk you through the entire test. You phone camera must stay on the test kit for 15 minutes and a timer will be seen on your screen. At the end of the 15 minutes you indicate that you are ready to have the test read. They will then send you the test results by email as well as the app.
Also, note that the original kits expired in 6 months, but the FDA extended these dates another 6 months. It is possible to have a kit that looks like it has expired but it has not. A list of these can be found online. The kit I took in October had an expiration date before my November return date, but I was fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here you go. The correct tests to travel back to the US can be bought here. Additionally, some airlines have links to suppliers to these tests.

I’ve booked my flights with a return date of September 27, when should I order my tests? Should I wait until I’m in the six month period of my return? Do they take long in shipping? Thanks for the info, this is great!! 😊

Last edited:
I’ve booked my flights with a return date of September 27, when should I order my tests? Should I wait until I’m in the six month period of my return? Do they take long in shipping? Thanks for the info, this is great!! 😊
I received mine in a few days after ordering for my spring Camino. You should probably wait though, shipping is very quick, and even though this is still the same test that eMed was providing last year, the rules may change.

I will wait and order no more than a couple of months before my departure date. The rules are changing all the time. They do say on their website that because of demand they may not ship for a few days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As I was hoping @Susan Peacock and also @Bill's_Walking have answered with first hand info. I only know how to find the websites that sell the kits. 😄

As I was hoping @Susan Peacock and also @Bill's_Walking have answered with first hand info. I only know how to find the websites that sell the kits. 😄
And your so good at providing the websites. We can always count on you. 😁 Thank you @Susan Peacock and @Bill’s_Walking I’ll wait and yes hopefully by then things will have changed for the better and I won’t need to order the kits. 😎

This demonstrates how to give the Binax test. You get purchase them online. Do make sure it is for Tavel and includes the lab approval as others have indicated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Unfortunately no you cannot use the tests the US government sent. You must either do a telehealth test or get tested in Spain (assuming that is where you are departing from). I used a telehealth test last year coming home from Spain and it was simple to do. It was from eMed. You need an internet connection and phone or computer with a camera so the eMed person can watch you do the test and then read the results. There will be some waiting time from when you log on and then again after take your swabs. The eMed testing works with VeriFLY app for documenting the results of the test.

from the CDC website:

• The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm your identity, observe the sample collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
Can someome explain in simple words what is the procedure to get a telehealth test for COVID in Spain? especially when you are in rural Spain?

Can someome explain in simple words what is the procedure to get a telehealth test for COVID in Spain? especially when you are in rural Spain?
I think that people order the tests before they leave the US and bring them with them.
You will probably have to find an in person testing center.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that people order the tests before they leave the US and bring them with them.
You will probably have to find an in person testing center.
Yes, check with your airlines, most sell them. United , Amercan,etc.

You order the test before leaving the US and take them with you. When you purchase them you will download the NAVICA app and the test will be registered to you. All you need to do the telehealth visit is to have Wi-Fi that is good enough for a video call and follow the instructions.

You order the test before leaving the US and take them with you. When you purchase them you will download the NAVICA app and the test will be registered to you. All you need to do the telehealth visit is to have Wi-Fi that is good enough for a video call and follow the instructions.
The test will be registered to you, so don't get one off of ebay. The test kits are commonly sold by the 1, 2, or 6. If you buy someone's extra (because they aren't inexpensive) it won't register to you. Gotta spend retail for yourself on this one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The test will be registered to you, so don't get one off of ebay. The test kits are commonly sold by the 1, 2, or 6. If you buy someone's extra (because they aren't inexpensive) it won't register to you. Gotta spend retail for yourself on this one.
That was not my experience. A pilgrim I met along the Salvador last summer was carrying two. He went home in León and he gave me his extra test after he got his negative result. I carried it in my pack and was able to use it in Santiago, no problem.

But I agree, don’t buy it off ebay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back