• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Via de la Plata Dec 2022

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I’m thinking of walking Via de la Plata from Seville to Astorga from beginning December this year to early January 2023. That is, over Christmas and New Year. I like winter caminos! Would appreciate any thoughts, comments and suggestions, from veterans who have walked Via de la Plata off season, that may be helpful for me in my planning. Many thanks! Jill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jill, In 2014 I walked from Sevilla beginning of February and although some public albergues were closed (Guillena and Castilblanco for example) there were always private accommodations available. That of course does not mean that post Covid the situation is the same.

Don't expect many pilgrims, we were 5 during the first few stages then I was alone with one other pilgrim till Salamanca. My daughter walked a week beginning of January and she met no one.

Hi Jill, I've never walked over Christmas and New Year but I know people who have. It's doable but it will take extra organisation. Between Christmas and 7 January lots of things (albergues, hotels, restaurants, shops) will be closed, or only operating shorter hours, and you'll need to call ahead to find out what's available.

Personally I wouldn't walk during this time because it's too much hassle but I realise this might be the only time available to you.

Gerald

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum