• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Viber

Brendaparrish

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances july(2014)
Almost time and soooo excited...making last minute decisions and have a few questions hope someone can answer....
1. has anyone mailed their pack to sjpp and was it there when you arrived?...i will be in poland and surrounding areas for three weeks prior and cannot cart around a pack.
2. has anyone used viber for texting and calling...i'm told it is a free app for both and quite useful
3. anyone starting out on july 8th... haven't seen one post and have been watching for months

b

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Viber, yes! I used it for the first time last fall. It's great for texting and I couldn't believe the audio quality of calls--unbelievably clear. Drawbacks are that you have to find WiFi to use it, plus whoever you are texting or calling must also have Viber in order to communicate with you. I downloaded it on my iPhone before leaving the US then kept the phone in airplane mode while in Europe. WiFi isn't difficult to find, it's available even in cafés and bars....the code will usually be posted someplace. You may already know this, but "proper etiquette" in Spanish bars and cafés is to be sure to order something, even just a small coffee, before asking for the WiFi code...and also before using their restrooms. For the first time ever, last year on the Camino Francés, in Fromista, I actually noticed a sign posted on a restroom door stating the restroom was for paying patrons only...it was printed in several languages and, interestingly, none of them were Spanish. Buen Camino!

Almost time and soooo excited...making last minute decisions and have a few questions hope someone can answer....
1. has anyone mailed their pack to sjpp and was it there when you arrived?...i will be in poland and surrounding areas for three weeks prior and cannot cart around a pack.
2. has anyone used viber for texting and calling...i'm told it is a free app for both and quite useful
3. anyone starting out on july 8th... haven't seen one post and have been watching for months

b
Hi Brenda
1. Have you investigated paying for a 'lock up' area in Poland (at a station of some description) to deposit your pack whilst you are holidaying there. I know a few friends who do this. Then collect when you're ready and take with you. It would be pretty costly mailing to sjpdp I would think ?
2. I downloaded viber last year as a friend here recommended it. Pre tested with her before leaving (it worked and was fun) but left it too late to organise my family to add the app so didn't really try to use it for phone calls. That's where it would pay off . I wouldn't bother trying to phone anyone other than family whilst on camino (if an emergency ). The other possibilities of Facebook and hotmail contact are achievable on your iPhone , with wifi anyway, even if you don't have a SIM card at any point.

3. I'm not walking in July, but if you check the stats.....you'll have no shortage of company. Not everyone posts on the forum.

Buen camino

Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Viber is a good app but as Annie says you need to get your family and friends to sign up too. I used it and skype in 2012 and 2013 to keep in contact with family and friends and found they worked great. Have a great camino.

If you have iPhone, you can send iMessages for free to any iPhones all over the world. provided you are in WiFi area. Mobile Voip is good too. I use that when I travel.

Thought I would never find the replies to my post.....thanks for all your help...I am unable to have backpack with me since I will be traveling from place to place with all the "usual" tourist stuff...I did send email today to my hotel in sjpp but gave not heard back...
Sure it will all work out and hey if I lose it the trip will be that much easier(at least lighter)
B

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used Viber for the past 3 yrs to communicate with friends overseas & in the US. They have to have the app as well. The call quality is mostly great. Texting is perfect.

Xoxo

If you need to use your phone/internet outside a WiFi zone, consider purchasing a Spanish SIM but ensure your phone is unlocked before leaving home. Roaming charges are quite high so last year I purchased a Vodafone SIM in Spain, cost €15. For this you get 250MB of data which lasted me for a month and allowed me check emails, Google maps, Facebook for sending messages etc. You also get 20 minutes of calls which is handy for local calls. Subsequent top-ups for the same package is €10 for a month. All you need to do is go to a Vodafone outlet and have your passport with you. I'm doing the Camino Frances again beginning at the end of August and will be taking my Spanish SIM with me.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back