• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Try something new?

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Just a question.
If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same albergues as you did or try somewhere new?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I do not usually plan to stop at any particular albergues. I walk the distance that feels right for the day and then aim for the most convenient one. If that happens to be one I've stayed in before and enjoyed then I'll probably go there again. The only albergue I would aim for specifically is Beilari in SJPDP because I received very kind care there some years ago when recovering from a back injury and I feel warmly about Joseph and the place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For me, part of the fun planning a Camino is doing the research regarding accommodation in the towns and cities where I stop. Having been on a couple of the Caminos twice, of course I have favorites where I would enjoy staying again (Casa Fernanda on the CP for example). However, as there is such a wide range of places to stay, I also enjoy trying new albergues/hostels/hotels, etc. At the end of the day, I usually have an idea of where I hope to stay based on the research I’ve done. If there’s not a bed in my first choice, there’s usually a good second or third choice that work out nicely. The comfort of familiar places is great! The adventure awaiting in new places is equally wonderful! Mixing the new with the familiar seems like a pretty good recipe for an enjoyable Camino.

Just a question.
If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same albergues as you did or try somewhere new?
Those places I really really liked I try to revisit. Be it accommodation, food, places to eat, places to rest and sit. All I did not like I try to avoid next time. And the broad field in between just varies randomly. If I then add the weather and the people I meet along the way, there is more than enough variation in the overall experience that I can easily afford to revisit certain details I liked very much :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love new places, and sometimes go out of my way to stay at one I love like La Perla Negra in Azqueta outside of Estella. Love that place!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love new places, and sometimes go out of my way to stay at one I love like La Perla Negra in Azqueta outside of Estella. Love that place!
That is exactly what I meant earlier. Some of us have our special places we want to revisit again and again.
I always book the same accommodation when arriving in Fisterra for example ... and I was never disappointed :cool:

Also: both. I have a few favourites but like trying new places. Also if I’ve met people I’d like to spend time with - or avoid - I like the flexibility.

Both! On my last trip across the meseta I stayed at the same lodgings in Hontanas and Boadilla as the first time and they were still excellent. After that it was new towns and different lodgings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For my second Camino Frances i had a vague list of places i might consider for staying the second time around but made the decisions more from how i felt in the moment. I also had a vague list of places i did not stay and might like to stay, but again, i made the decisions on the go. I also have a surprisingly short list of places i do not want to stay ever again... this one is less open for discussion. (but a place has to be really bad to get on the list)

Just a question.
A mix of the two. Some old favourites I definitely want to revisit. Some new ones, either because I heard great things about them or because I am stopping in a different village this time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back