• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vistalgre to Fonsagrada

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
Trying to divide this walk into 2 shorter days. I remember last year that the Juvenile Hostel in Castro was open, but according to Gronze it is now closed. We will be there on 26 of May. Does anyone know if its open...or if there is another alternative for lodging between Vistalgre and Fonsagrada?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the Hotel Rural Chao Martin is the only option left. Catroventos at Barbietta used to offer rooms but doesn’t seem to anymore.
The trouble with starting the day from Vistalgre is that long uphill slog to Grandas. Could you not push through to Grandas rather than stopping at the hotel?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We could, but the hotel is such a lovely place to spend the night!
Agreed. I've had one memorable night there - recounted elsewhere on this forum = and a couple of other stays when inclination has taken. Nonetheless Vistalgre to Fonsagrada is a slog and knocking off that first 4km of uphill makes it feasible.

Perhaps someone who is walking it now will know if the hostel @ Castro is open. We had a cup of coffee there in September and it was open. Unfortunately the Casa Rural doesn't have very good reviews. I appreciate your help! Trying to do the Primitivo at a slower pace this spring...those long days are in my rear view mirror.

Their Facebook page has a valedictory post and lots of sad farewells. My crap Spanish isn’t much help but I don’t get the impression that a reopening is imminent.
I’m not seeing any particular adverse reviews of the CR. Just expectations not met. As my dear old granny used to say “the only hotel in town is the best hotel in town”.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You're right...I will reach out to the casa rural...wonder if they have food?

I have to admit...I looked through both Buen Camino and WisePilgrim's Camino Primitivo, and have no idea what Vistalgre is :/

It's the hotel that is right overlooks the reservoir...Great big patio, rooms upstairs, nice restaurant. Very pretty spot. You can see it on the Gronze map of the Berducedo to Grandas Selime. It's another 4 K to Grandes from that spot and tinkercat is right, a gentle up, but up nevertheless.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back