Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accom to book or not to book (Primitivo)…

Javalita

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023 Camino Ingles
That is the question. In general my thoughts are not to book but I read about so many people pre booking accommodations that it makes me worry. Which is how mass pre-booking starts and then everyone ends up booking.

My concern is that I’m worried I might need to stop at unconventional places if I’m tired. So booking the typical stages seems riskier. The other side says that accommodations are more limited on primitivo and I don’t want to be climbing an extra 5km when I’m exhausted. Thought? Your experience? Thanks!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’re also ‘locked in’ to certain stages on the Primitivo anyway (compared with the Francés), so the ‘Do I want to stop here or go 4km further?’ question is often not really an option. In those cases where your end-of-stage destination is pretty much fixed already, you might as well book.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In July last year I booked my first two nights before arrival. The first so I could take my time and not stress ( I started off injured, so knew I was going to be very slow); the second because I really, really wanted to stay at Bodenaya. The third night was booked defacto -as in, other’s were booking it and I just said - sure, why not.

Nothing more. Zero issues

If you’re at all concerned, look at a couple of the recent threads about shorter stages for the Primitivo ( there’s options for some sections); at the very least, start a little slower and book the first night (Paladin @ 20km, rather than the typical Grado @ 25km- or even Escamplero, it’s just 12km from Oviedo!) then see how you feel.

Yes, there are a couple of stages with no options; but the first ( and the longest) is several days in - the Hospitales. You’ll know how you’re doing by then.

It’s a wonderful Camino, enjoy!

Last edited:
That is the question. In general my thoughts are not to book but I read about so many people pre booking accommodations that it makes me worry. Which is how mass pre-booking starts and then everyone ends up booking.

My concern is that I’m worried I might need to stop at unconventional places if I’m tired. So booking the typical stages seems riskier. The other side says that accommodations are more limited on primitivo and I don’t want to be climbing an extra 5km when I’m exhausted. Thought? Your experience? Thanks!!!
It's been 4 years since I walked the primitivo but I booked morning of as I decided how far I would go that day. Sometimes there isn't much choice of where to stop but usually I had options depending on how I felt. I used Buen Camino tío find places and book then. Buen Camino

I generally booked a day or so ahead on the Primitivo, except when I wanted to stay at an albergue that didn't take reservations. I'm not sure I ever needed to, in the end. But by that time in my Camino I had a fair idea of how far I wanted to walk in a day so I figured it didn't hurt. If you want to stay in Samblismo or the Albergue Las Hospitales a few km further down, you might want to book ahead.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back