• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking in (Almost) Winter?

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
Due to circumstances way beyond my control, my Camino keeps getting pushed back.
From May of this year, to August, to September, now to maybe September/October.
Here is my question:
I plan to go through the Somport Pass. At that time of year, what are the chances that snow will close the way? I've walked in May from SJPdP and had the Napoleon closed due to snow so I know it is a possibility. I don't know if there are alternative paths, like the Valcarlos. Advice? Packing tips?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Snow isn't expected statistically in Somport until the end of October. There are of course always variations and exceptions, and you won't know until you do.
September should be fine and if not, you can always take the bus.

Snow isn't expected statistically in Somport until the end of October
I agree with this. I am starting the Aragones in mid October. When I get to Barcelona I will check the weather the day before I leave for either Canfranc Estation or Jaca. If I can I will bus up to Somport to start but if not I will start in Canfranc. No need to risk possible really bad weather in the mountains just to start in Somport or even Canfranc.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum