• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter 2023 with a kid?

easonm

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2023
Hey all, would like to do my first camino over winter break this year - Dec 28 through early Jan. Only have time for 100KM. Taking my 15 year old daughter with me. What's the best route for weather in the winter during this time? Is there a route that avoids snow?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino Francés has the best winter infrastructure. There's no guarantee on any route that there will be no snow.

This site is good for weather planning.

And this site lists the albergues open in winter:

The Camino Francés has the best winter infrastructure. There's no guarantee on any route that there will be no snow.

This site is good for weather planning.

And this site lists the albergues open in winter:
Thanks! Not planning on staying in albergues - planning to just book hotels. And I was hoping to do primitivo. Thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks! Not planning on staying in albergues - planning to just book hotels. And I was hoping to do primitivo. Thoughts?

Does your daughter have experience with longer hikes on a daily base?
For a first Camino , especially in wintertime, I would advise to stick to the Camino Frances. At least there are always some people around and some entertainment and general distraction.

If you’re thinking Primitivo, but also just 100km, assume you’re meaning from Lugo. Which means you’re basically missing all of the best of the route, and the last few days you’re just on the Frances anyway. Save it for next time, and do it in its entirety (2 weeks).

My experience is very limited - only the Primitivo and the Ingles. Which I cannot help but recommend. Easy 4 - 5 days of walking. Also, hotels throughout, (easy to check online if they’re going to be open) varied terrain, and I’ve read elsewhere that because it’s going through well established towns and villages, some of the cafes/bars etc should still be open.
Perhaps others with more knowledge of the area can confirm?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Can I make a suggestion? When I saw the title of the thread I was expecting you to be writing about a 7 or 8 year old! My experience of walking with my own children (and I know they are all different) was that by 15 I was able to treat them as a fellow pilgrim rather than as a child. They appreciated that a lot.

Hey all, would like to do my first camino over winter break this year - Dec 28 through early Jan. Only have time for 100KM. Taking my 15 year old daughter with me. What's the best route for weather in the winter during this time? Is there a route that avoids snow?
15 is not a kid. It is a fit young adult without prejustice. Go ahead. She will benefit greatly from a Camino at young age. About routes: Whatever 100 kms: Weather is unpredictable anyway. I advice to take a route without serious climbs and descents, for easy walking. Sanabres(Ourense)/Sarria comes to my mind as starting points. Sarria-SdC has much better infrastructure, so study that one, IMHO.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
easonm:

You say December 28 to "early January". How much time are you thinking of?

You ask which route would be best but follow up with the information that you are hoping to do the Primitivo. All things being equal, I would definitely echo the advice that the Frances has the best infrastructure to support first-time pilgrims, especially in the Winter. But if you are hoping to do the Primitivo, all things are not equal. What is drawing you to the Primitivo? As Peterexpatkiwi says, if you are just going to be walking the last sections of the Primitivo, you will be missing the mountains that many find to be the principal attraction of the route. But those same mountains are where you are most likely to find snow in the winter. On the other hand, if what is drawing you to the Primitivo is the possibility of seeing the Roman walls of Lugo, then that would be quite different.

You mention that you are going on "practice runs" with your daughter. I may be misunderstanding but I'll just say that running is not necessarily the best training for a long walk. I'd advise long walks of increasing length while wearing the loaded backpacks you intend to wear on your Camino.

In theory, the Invierno should be the best option for a winter Camino. The justification for the route is the idea that pilgrims took this route to avoid the winter snows over O Cebreiro. Hence it being called the "Winter Way". Unfortunately, it isn't in the same league as the Frances in terns of infrastructure, which is why people are not rushing to recommend it to you.

easonm:

You say December 28 to "early January". How much time are you thinking of?

You ask which route would be best but follow up with the information that you are hoping to do the Primitivo. All things being equal, I would definitely echo the advice that the Frances has the best infrastructure to support first-time pilgrims, especially in the Winter. But if you are hoping to do the Primitivo, all things are not equal. What is drawing you to the Primitivo? As Peterexpatkiwi says, if you are just going to be walking the last sections of the Primitivo, you will be missing the mountains that many find to be the principal attraction of the route. But those same mountains are where you are most likely to find snow in the winter. On the other hand, if what is drawing you to the Primitivo is the possibility of seeing the Roman walls of Lugo, then that would be quite different.

You mention that you are going on "practice runs" with your daughter. I may be misunderstanding but I'll just say that running is not necessarily the best training for a long walk. I'd advise long walks of increasing length while wearing the loaded backpacks you intend to wear on your Camino.

In theory, the Invierno should be the best option for a winter Camino. The justification for the route is the idea that pilgrims took this route to avoid the winter snows over O Cebreiro. Hence it being called the "Winter Way". Unfortunately, it isn't in the same league as the Frances in terns of infrastructure, which is why people are not rushing to recommend it to you.
Thanks for this! What drew me to the Primitivo is seeing the Roman walls of Lugo. So after reading everyone's very kind recommendation about infrastructure on the CF for winter, I'm thinking maybe we spend a day visiting Lugo before we head out on the Camino, then make our way to Sarria and start from there (we only have 7 days, probably 12/30 - 1/6) and just stay on the CF - hoping to encounter other pilgrims, and find a nice hot cup of coffee along the way if anything is open.

So far, hotels I'm calling seem to be open during this time. I'm planning to book ahead.

To clarify, 'practice runs' is just a figure of speech. We're not actually running LOL. We're hiking/walking 16 miles etc.

Thank you so much!

To clarify, 'practice runs' is just a figure of speech. We're not actually running LOL. We're hiking/walking 16 miles etc.

Thank you so much!
I thought "practice runs" might be a figure of speech, that's why I said I might be misunderstanding. But I thought I'd better put that in just in case.... :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for this! What drew me to the Primitivo is seeing the Roman walls of Lugo. So after reading everyone's very kind recommendation about infrastructure on the CF for winter, I'm thinking maybe we spend a day visiting Lugo before we head out on the Camino, then make our way to Sarria and start from there (we only have 7 days, probably 12/30 - 1/6) and just stay on the CF - hoping to encounter other pilgrims, and find a nice hot cup of coffee along the way if anything is open
That sounds like a good plan, especially since there are some long stages between towns after Lugo. When I walked the Primitivo in June there weren't a lot of other pilgrim's nor places to stop, so I think it would be even moreso in the winter.

Thanks for this! What drew me to the Primitivo is seeing the Roman walls of Lugo. So after reading everyone's very kind recommendation about infrastructure on the CF for winter, I'm thinking maybe we spend a day visiting Lugo before we head out on the Camino, then make our way to Sarria and start from there (we only have 7 days, probably 12/30 - 1/6) and just stay on the CF - hoping to encounter other pilgrims, and find a nice hot cup of coffee along the way if anything is open.

So far, hotels I'm calling seem to be open during this time. I'm planning to book ahead.

Thank you so much!
Lugo is definitely worth a day visit. There's also the cathedral and don't forget to check out the Old ( Roman )Bridge either. Plus a great Museum.

Thank you so much!
I loved Lugo. It’s a great idea. Plenty to see and keep you occupied there. If you’re looking for a hotel recommendation, I loved staying at Hotel Monument Pazo de Orban.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
7 days. Research Lugo, Friol, Sobrado on the Camino Verde. Then follow the Norte down to Arzua and hence Santiago on the Frances. The hotel in Friol is a gem. On the night we were there they apologized and explained that the restaurant was closed. And then cooked us a delicious meal and left a bottle of Ciento Tres on the table so that we had a nightcap

I'm looking at the route from Sarria and so many sites suggest going from Palas de Rei to Arzua in 1 day - which is fine. But I think I'd like to see Melide. Would it be a good idea to break up this stage into 2 days and do Palas de Rei to Melide. Then Arzua next day? Sounds nice. Does the route from Palas de Rei to Arzua go through Melide?

A lot of sites are saying Sarria-Portomarin-Palas de Rei-Arzua-Rua-Santiago de C. Which is 5 days. Would it be nice to give it more time and do 6 days (if we could)?

I'm looking at the route from Sarria and so many sites suggest going from Palas de Rei to Arzua in 1 day - which is fine. But I think I'd like to see Melide. Would it be a good idea to break up this stage into 2 days and do Palas de Rei to Melide. Then Arzua next day? Sounds nice. Does the route from Palas de Rei to Arzua go through Melide?

A lot of sites are saying Sarria-Portomarin-Palas de Rei-Arzua-Rua-Santiago de C. Which is 5 days. Would it be nice to give it more time and do 6 days (if we could)?
There are no rules on Camino, and no fixed stages. Subject to the availability of accommodation, and there is lots of it between Sarria and Santiago, you can stop wherever you want and spend as many days as you want.

If you've not found it already https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is an excellent guide to route, elevations and all accommodation types. Quite easy to work out a plan to suit your needs and desires.

Happy planning

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
100 km is less than a week's walk. Not very far. If it does snow any won't be that big of a deal.
I'd recommend the Sarria to Santiago option. Will give you the most choices and accomodations that time of year.

Time is no issue.
As a reminder, when you want a Compostela you need two stamps a day during your 100km walk to Santiago.
Buen Camino 🙏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back