• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in September....help...newbie

pennyr

Hello I am planning on going to Europe in September (2012)....and I will be walking on my own. I am so confused with all the information....my intention was to get myself to Porto and stay 2 nights in a hotel then set out from the cathedral...or take train to the outskirts and beginning there....I really didn't want to plan....just walk...is this completely naive....I have 3 weeks....am relatively fit for a 58 year old....advice....I am walking lot here....will have good footwear....I don't want to camp...and am willing to stay in a few hotels along the way....but not somuch as to miss out....any advice????

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
pennyr said:
Europe in September (2012)....
Well, you joined the Forum which has all or most of the answers to your questions. Don't panic, there is still time to check the "search" section of this Forum for answers on your possible questions. You'll be doing fine :)

pennyr said:
Hello I am planning on going to Europe in September (2012)....and I will be walking on my own. I am so confused with all the information....my intention was to get myself to Porto and stay 2 nights in a hotel then set out from the cathedral...or take train to the outskirts and beginning there....I really didn't want to plan....just walk...is this completely naive....I have 3 weeks....am relatively fit for a 58 year old....advice....I am walking lot here....will have good footwear....I don't want to camp...and am willing to stay in a few hotels along the way....but not somuch as to miss out....any advice????
Hi Penny!
I did that walk last year. It is beautiful, the scenery wonderful, and September should be perfect as the heat of summer will be declining.
You're merely a young lass compared to many of us - age is just a number on a piece of paper. I kept a diary and took many photo's of the walk - check out the bottom of my web page http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm where you can see how much I enjoyed it. It took me about 16 days, so you've loads of time - in fact you might like to walk on to Finisterre after you reach Santiago.
Let me know how you get on with the links on the web-page.
Buen camino - I envy you!
Stephen.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi.

When I did my first Camino, I'd heard about it at the last minute when I was already going to Spain for work. All I really did re: planning was to make reservations in small pensions/hotels/casas rurales for each night, because I had to have a ton of luggage with me for the work portion of my trip and be able to ship it ahead each day. Plus, I have back issues and can't carry heavy backpacks.

Anyway, the main thing to remember is that you'll need to be able to carry lots of water, whether in a Camelbak or hand-held device or whatever. And have layers for clothing. You really don't need to know much more than that. I had no maps, no info on food or the towns, no elevation charts -- nothing. I made it just fine, and in many ways it was one of my favorite experiences simply because I didn't spend months planning every detail, and I was pleasantly surprised by almost everything I saw and experienced.

Melanie

I had no maps, no info on food or the towns, no elevation charts -- nothing.
I did that once when piloting an airplance. I got lost, and made an emergency landing at an unknown airport to get a map (chart). :mrgreen:

Me again...as in NEWBIE....can I get a bus or train from Santiago to OPORTO....it is MUCH cheaper for me to travel from Montreal return as opposed to multi destination plan......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stephen Nicholls said:
pennyr said:
Hi Penny!
I did that walk last year. It is beautiful, the scenery wonderful, and September should be perfect as the heat of summer will be declining.
You're merely a young lass compared to many of us - age is just a number on a piece of paper. I kept a diary and took many photo's of the walk - check out the bottom of my web page http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm where you can see how much I enjoyed it. It took me about 16 days, so you've loads of time - in fact you might like to walk on to Finisterre after you reach Santiago.
Let me know how you get on with the links on the web-page.
Buen camino - I envy you!
Stephen.

THANX FOR THE ENCORAGEMENT....LATE HERE...(MONTREAL)....I WILL WRITE TOMORROW....I WILL BE TRAVELING ALONE...I MIGHT INDEED HAVE TIME FOR THE FINISTERRE....I WONDERED IF YOU KNOW IF IT IS EASY TO TRAVEL BY TRAIN OR BUS TO OPORTO....IT IS JUST SO MUCH MORE REASONABLE A PRICE IF I ARRIVE AND DEPART TO AND FROM THE SAME AIRPORTS....MANY THANX,,,,BLESSINGS PENNY

I'm also walking the camino solo in September - with about as much info and preparation so far as Penny - so thank you Stephen and Melanie for your positive responses. I found them very reassuring :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I will begin our walk in Pamplona this August 30, 2012, after taking a train from Madrid. I've done tons of reading and research but I still have uncertainties about where to stay, which path to take, etc. but I guess I'll just have to trust in Santiago to guide us.

Manuel Zagala
Vallejo, California

Manuel,
Trust in Santiago but bring a guide to the Camino by John Brierly.
Most pikgrims were carrying that guidebook available thru B&N and
Probably Amazon. Pack 1/2 of what you plan and enjoy. I will be
Returning to leon to finish my Camino and since I'm slow you will
Probably catch up with meat some point. Buen Camino

September is a lovely time of year to walk the Camino. Have fun.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
woodandbronze said:
Glad to know that I'm not the only Montrealer who'll be walking the Camino next month. Hope to meet you on the way.
.....but I will probably be the only Icelander walking in September. At least I have not heard from anybody here on the Forum. After what I have read, I will meet a lot of nice people from all around. :)
I have been weighing - and adding baggage and then again reducing. Will probably be doing that till last minute :) I will fly in from Iceland via Paris and stay overnight in Biarritz and start walking from Sjpdp on September 3. Wow it will be really good to get going and stop worrying. Should I take this or that.
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.