• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Mozarabe Camino: A Beautiful Journey from Almeria to Merida

mick53

Time of past OR future Camino
Geira y Arrieiros, Torres 2023
Carol and I walked from Almeria to Merida in April this year (2023). A fantastic Camino with an amazing Friends group in Almeria to help you along your way. We have walked around 14 different caminos and this is now my favourite.

They even personally meet with you and give you your credentials as well as managing a group of Albergues on the way to Granada.

This is their Website...

http://www.caminomozarabesantiago.com/?m=0

Mercedes and Nely are amazingly helpful. Both are on WhatsApp which is commonly used in Spain - see their website for the mobile numbers.

Gronze is now a good site for all the Mozarabe ways from Almeria, Jaén, and Malaga as it now has the Almeria to Granada accommodation.

You could write a book (and people have so I won't!) on why the Mozarabe is a great Camino so I will just list some of the things that appeal to me:

- it is in Andalucia and Exremaduria which have some of the best Roman and Arab architectures and influences in Spain

- you get the beautiful coastal city of Almeria which is not overrun with tourists like Malaga

- you visit the fantastic cities of Granada and Cordoba and end in the Roman Architecture wonderland of Merida.

- in the early stages you walk the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains surrounded by snow covered mountains peaks.

It is relatively undiscovered and not overrun with walkers so the locals are genuinely glad to see you and are very helpful. In one month the most walkers we saw or heard of was about 8-10, many days we met none, and only met 6 walkers while actually walking.

The most accurate kml paths were from the cnig site ( see photo).Gronze Maps were pretty useless e.g did not work offline.... We found while other kml/gpx paths were generally pretty good only the cnig site had the correct path in a few crucial places.

I used Organic maps for navigation .... from the developers of Maps.Me. Signage is generally good and from Almeria to Granada where it's done by Mercedes and her Friends Team it is excellent. You can load the paths from the cnig site easily into Organic Nsps.

I also recommend buying the very cheap, up to date and compact guidebook ... it fitted in my pocket... from the CJC site in UK (see photo).

And, remember to use Chrome as your browser to auto-translate to your preferred language.

Below is from a post I did on the Geira de Arrioros Camino re Navigation.
---------------------------------------
These days you should ensure you have an App with the path for your Camino.

Even on the popular Caminos where you usually just have to "follow the crowd" it makes finding your accommodation easier, and if there is a problem you can find the shortest way to a village, road, pharmacy, etc.

You may not be where you want to be but you should never be lost!

For the Torres and Geira y Arrieiros an App is essential as you cannot rely on the signs

At least the Geira information is honest, they tell you to take an App. Both walks provide official kml and gpx paths for your favourite apps, and if you search you can find others.

I use a combination of:
- Organic Maps as my main App to ensure I stay on path
- Google Maps in a town if I want to find extra services, opening times etc
- AllTrails to track my distance walked and elevation data e.g.how far I have climbed up

Organic Maps is free, has no adverts, once maps are downloaded it works fully in Flight Mode, and it works for Apple and Android phones. It was released by the original developers of Maps.Me. I previously used Maps.Me.

It will find you a walking, cycling or driving path between any 2 points, and for the walking and cycling paths it will show you an reasonably good profile and distance up and down. If you don't like it's path or want to follow a Camino path you have loaded you can add numerous mandatory 'stops' to align its path as you want.

Very handy for finding shortcuts and comparing them. Great if you are tired, the path is too muddy/wet etc.

You can add 'bookmarks' on bars, places of interest etc and share them if you wish.

It also has many service categories you can search for, e.g.food, accommodation, ATM etc - but not as many as Google Maps.

It accepts kml and kmz path files and can load them automatically when you open the file in your Android smartphone ... only an extra step required for Apple phones. Files in gpx format can easily be converted to kml.

Google Maps has comprehensive information on services you may want, will try and tell you opening hours provide contact details, link to websites etc. It will give you a driving but not a walking path and really needs internet data access to work.in map mode.

On a Camino I only use it in towns if I need something Organic Maps does not have. I have found it useful even in the small villages the Torres and Geira venture into.

AllTrails is a commercial App with lots of already loaded tracks and the ability to record your walk if you like, share it etc.
It has the full Torres and Geira y Arrieiros paths available, and can alert you if you wonder too far from the track. I only used it to record my distance walked, height climbed, and my track.

So always take an App you are familiar with and load it with your Camino path.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001_184715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_184715_Chrome.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 716
  • 20230403_213602.jpg
    20230403_213602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Carol and I walked from Almeria to Merida in April this year (2023). A fantastic Camino with an amazing Friends group in Almeria to help you along your way. We have walked around 14 different caminos and this is now my favourite.

They even personally meet with you and give you your credentials as well as managing a group of Albergues on the way to Granada.

This is their Website...

http://www.caminomozarabesantiago.com/?m=0

Mercedes and Nely are amazingly helpful. Both are on WhatsApp which is commonly used in Spain - see their website for the mobile numbers.

Gronze is now a good site for all the Mozarabe ways from Almeria, Jaén, and Malaga as it now has the Almeria to Granada accommodation.

You could write a book (and people have so I won't!) on why the Mozarabe is a great Camino so I will just list some of the things that appeal to me:

- it is in Andalucia and Exremaduria which have some of the best Roman and Arab architectures and influences in Spain

- you get the beautiful coastal city of Almeria which is not overrun with tourists like Malaga

- you visit the fantastic cities of Granada and Cordoba and end in the Roman Architecture wonderland of Merida.

- in the early stages you walk the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountains surrounded by snow covered mountains peaks.

It is relatively undiscovered and not overrun with walkers so the locals are genuinely glad to see you and are very helpful. In one month the most walkers we saw or heard of was about 8-10, many days we met none, and only met 6 walkers while actually walking.

The most accurate kml paths were from the cnig site ( see photo).Gronze Maps were pretty useless e.g did not work offline.... We found while other kml/gpx paths were generally pretty good only the cnig site had the correct path in a few crucial places.

I used Organic maps for navigation .... from the developers of Maps.Me. Signage is generally good and from Almeria to Granada where it's done by Mercedes and her Friends Team it is excellent. You can load the paths from the cnig site easily into Organic Nsps.

I also recommend buying the very cheap, up to date and compact guidebook ... it fitted in my pocket... from the CJC site in UK (see photo).

And, remember to use Chrome as your browser to auto-translate to your preferred language.

Below is from a post I did on the Geira de Arrioros Camino re Navigation.
---------------------------------------
These days you should ensure you have an App with the path for your Camino.

Even on the popular Caminos where you usually just have to "follow the crowd" it makes finding your accommodation easier, and if there is a problem you can find the shortest way to a village, road, pharmacy, etc.

You may not be where you want to be but you should never be lost!

For the Torres and Geira y Arrieiros an App is essential as you cannot rely on the signs.

At least the Geira information is honest, they tell you to take an App. Both walks provide official kml and gpx paths for your favourite apps, and if you search you can find others.

I use a combination of:
- Organic Maps as my main App to ensure I stay on path
- Google Maps in a town if I want to find extra services, opening times etc
- AllTrails to track my distance walked and elevation data e.g.how far I have climbed up

Organic Maps is free, has no adverts, once maps are downloaded it works fully in Flight Mode, and it works for Apple and Android phones. It was released by the original developers of Maps.Me. I previously used Maps.Me.

It will find you a walking, cycling or driving path between any 2 points, and for the walking and cycling paths it will show you an reasonably good profile and distance up and down. If you don't like it's path or want to follow a Camino path you have loaded you can add numerous mandatory 'stops' to align its path as you want.

Very handy for finding shortcuts and comparing them. Great if you are tired, the path is too muddy/wet etc.

You can add 'bookmarks' on bars, places of interest etc and share them if you wish.

It also has many service categories you can search for, e.g.food, accommodation, ATM etc - but not as many as Google Maps.

It accepts kml and kmz path files and can load them automatically when you open the file in your Android smartphone ... only an extra step required for Apple phones. Files in gpx format can easily be converted to kml.

Google Maps has comprehensive information on services you may want, will try and tell you opening hours provide contact details, link to websites etc. It will give you a driving but not a walking path and really needs internet data access to work.in map mode.

On a Camino I only use it in towns if I need something Organic Maps does not have. I have found it useful even in the small villages the Torres and Geira venture into.

AllTrails is a commercial App with lots of already loaded tracks and the ability to record your walk if you like, share it etc.
It has the full Torres and Geira y Arrieiros paths available, and can alert you if you wonder too far from the track. I only used it to record my distance walked, height climbed, and my track.

So always take an App you are familiar with and load it with your Camino path.
Very good information - thankyou!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Jerry, it's on the Confraternity of Saint James website. It's the book by Tim Stapenhurst referred to in the first post on this thread.

I used the Buen Camino app for route finding, but the waymarking was pretty good. For accommodation I used Gronze. If you thought Almería-Granada was quiet, the next part is super-quiet. Apart from solitude what I remember most was the pruning of the olive trees, all by chainsaw. The countryside can be really noisy.

I've heard this is a good option for a December camino. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We walked from Almeria in March 2023 and from Malaga this March. We walked the Aragones far to the north in October 2023. December may be rainy -- but not much from Almeria. The albergues will be open because they are not staffed. You are given a code to the door. Some water in the stream beds and river beds may be a problem. Maybe a little snow around the Sierra Nevada. Mud could be a bigger issue. Some holiday restaurant/bar closures. Weather should be great for walking. Look at the Camino Mozarabe excellent website. Use the Confraternity of St. James guide book and Mapy.cz app. Buen Camino

We walked from Almeria in March 2023 and from Malaga this March. We walked the Aragones far to the north in October 2023. December may be rainy -- but not much from Almeria. The albergues will be open because they are not staffed. You are given a code to the door. Some water in the stream beds and river beds may be a problem. Maybe a little snow around the Sierra Nevada. Mud could be a bigger issue. Some holiday restaurant/bar closures. Weather should be great for walking. Look at the Camino Mozarabe excellent website. Use the Confraternity of St. James guide book and Mapy.cz app. Buen Camino
Thank you so much for these details. Very helpful.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back