• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with teens in 2021

twin2jlb

Time of past OR future Camino
July (2021)
Hi, my name is Jessie. I visited Santiago de Compostela in July of 1999 when I was studying abroad in A Coruna. It has been a dream of mine to go back and walk the camino. My husband, 2 kids, and several members of my extended family are planning to walk the first week of July in 2021 from Sarria. I am just starting to plan and I really don't know much. Since it's the year of the Saint how far in advance do I need to book lodging? While I would love the experience of the albergues (are they walk in only?), we will also look at hotels or even houses for rent to make sure we have a place to stay. Are there links with "all you need to know" to prepare and make sure I have the right reservations, etc. to get stamps, certificates, entry into the catherdral? Thanks for your feedback!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, Jessie, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, my name is Jessie. I visited Santiago de Compostela in July of 1999 when I was studying abroad in A Coruna. It has been a dream of mine to go back and walk the camino. My husband, 2 kids, and several members of my extended family are planning to walk the first week of July in 2021 from Sarria. I am just starting to plan and I really don't know much. Since it's the year of the Saint how far in advance do I need to book lodging? While I would love the experience of the albergues (are they walk in only?), we will also look at hotels or even houses for rent to make sure we have a place to stay. Are there links with "all you need to know" to prepare and make sure I have the right reservations, etc. to get stamps, certificates, entry into the catherdral? Thanks for your feedback!

Jessie

Buy and read a guidebook. There are many options, but Brierley’s is a good start.

That will answer the routine questions.

There are many options other than the Camino Frances - which may well be extraordinarily busy in 2021.

You are starting well in advance. Which is probably good - so long as it doesn’t stop you living your life for the next 18 months.

Regards

David

Last edited:
Hello fellow pilgrim,

at first I would ask myself if I really want walk on the most crowded part of the Camino de Santiago on a holy year, when it will be far more crowded than on other years.

If there are Interests to walk especially in the holy year, than take the chance.
But you have to be aware that there will be a lot more pilgrims and walkers with you.

One of the two albergues that turned me away on my whole Camino francés was after Sarria and it was not overcrowded this July.

As an alternative route you can walk the last 100km on the Camino Portuguese. It starts in Tui on the border to Portugal and will be, as far as it is foreseeable, less crowded than the Francés. And you have two options: the coastal or the central route.

Have fun planning your walk, you will have enough time to figure out the best suitable route for you and your beloved.

I hope you will enjoy it - my husband and I have walked with our son most of the last 15 years, he is 23 now...

That said, if you don't NEED the Compostela, I'd walk another stretch and just take the bus to Santiago, just to avoid the crowds.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jessie
I’m currently walking the CF from St Jean to Santiago and through to Finisterre. We’re currently in Burgos and as a family of 4 (parents and two teenagers) we have not always found it to be easy or straightforward to stay together. If this is important to you and your extended family then you should book.

2021 will be a very busy year. Lots of good advice and suggestions above.

Buen Camino.

It makes better sense to know your kids want to go, the issues of crowded (everything).... and to make a little study of what is on the Way to your destimation. Curiosity rules over definition of teen, letting this be part of their decision. It is llife-changing and very excting. Best of luck...

Hi Jessie...

It's going to be crowded... but enjoy!

In April this year, we had a group of 6: myself, Mrs. Beeks, our 3 kids (boys 18 and 16, daughter, 11) and my mother-in-law. Mrs. Beeks AND her mom over-packed.

We walked from St.Jean to Pamplona, then took the train to Sarria and walked the rest of the way to Santiago de Compestela.

The only two alburgue reservation we made prior to leaving was for Orisson and for Sarria. Sarria, because our train was scheduled to arrive in Sarria at 9:07 pm. We made a reservation in Zubiri the same day because we got a late start and slow walking from those with heavy packs meant we would arrive late, like 7pm.

After struggling with pack weight, I convinced my wife and her mom to "lighten the load" and send some stuff ahead to the next town. Fortune smiled on me, as I had packed an empty 40 liter duffel bag "just in case." We stuffed that duffel so full, it took two of us to close the zipper.

That created a new issue: we had to have an alburgue to deliver the bag to. This meant making reservations the day before for the next day's town, then calling the phone number of the bag transport service to arrange the bag pick up and delivery. We did this from Zubiri on. No problems.

I used the "Buen Camino" app to get alburgue info, bed capacity, address and phone number. Plus, it was nice because with our group of 6, we never had to split up due to lack of beds.

So pack light...! I know there's great spontaneity in walking without a reservation and staying in whatever town at whatever place. With a group of 6, we were glad to have reservations!

Buen Camino!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jessie...

It's going to be crowded... but enjoy!

In April this year, we had a group of 6: myself, Mrs. Beeks, our 3 kids (boys 18 and 16, daughter, 11) and my mother-in-law. Mrs. Beeks AND her mom over-packed.

We walked from St.Jean to Pamplona, then took the train to Sarria and walked the rest of the way to Santiago de Compestela.

The only two alburgue reservation we made prior to leaving was for Orisson and for Sarria. Sarria, because our train was scheduled to arrive in Sarria at 9:07 pm. We made a reservation in Zubiri the same day because we got a late start and slow walking from those with heavy packs meant we would arrive late, like 7pm.

After struggling with pack weight, I convinced my wife and her mom to "lighten the load" and send some stuff ahead to the next town. Fortune smiled on me, as I had packed an empty 40 liter duffel bag "just in case." We stuffed that duffel so full, it took two of us to close the zipper.

That created a new issue: we had to have an alburgue to deliver the bag to. This meant making reservations the day before for the next day's town, then calling the phone number of the bag transport service to arrange the bag pick up and delivery. We did this from Zubiri on. No problems.

I used the "Buen Camino" app to get alburgue info, bed capacity, address and phone number. Plus, it was nice because with our group of 6, we never had to split up due to lack of beds.

So pack light...! I know there's great spontaneity in walking without a reservation and staying in whatever town at whatever place. With a group of 6, we were glad to have reservations!

Buen Camino!
[/QUOTE
I agree that if you want to stay together as a group - and with children - a good idea - then I think you have to do some booking ahead. Our group of 6 last year had to split up only once and that was in busy June but as we were all adults it was not a problem..
Buen Camino

Hi Jessie,

In Summer 2021 the Camino Francés from Sarria onwards will be the busiest part of the camino but also the camino with the best infrastructure to accomodate and feed the masses.

I am not sure, if the Portuguese from Tui onwards is apt for your purposes in a similar way. The albergues on that camino are much smaller and the number of pilgrims on the Portuguese is growing in an exorbitant manner with which the infrastructure cannot keep pace.

The bigger your group the less interaction you will experience with other pilgrims and the more necessary it is to pre-book accomodation. You also have to consider, if you want to walk together all the time or if you only want to meet up in the albergues in the evenings.

I did various caminos with members of my family, but also on my own. If you take responsibilty for your family, and you surely will, this will inhibit your personal camino experience. I would restrict my planings to the interior circle, i. e. your husband and your children. The other relatives may walk at the same time and you may meet occasionally, but I would really ask them to plan their own stages/accomodation. Your expectations and needs and physical capabilities may differ and give cause to disappointment or even disputes.
Depending on the age of your children, they may rather like to stay in hotels/pensions, where your family has a room on your own than in a shared dorm with 15/20 or even dozens of people.

BC
Alexandra

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back