• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Wanting to avoid all albergues

Hmm. I am looking at trying to walk in the UK and only finding touristy walks with B&Bs and inns that I can't afford. And these are called pilgrimages.

I agree that accommodation in the UK is often very expensive compared to Spain. But I do not see that the cost of beds is a factor in defining a journey as a pilgrimage or not: surely that is a matter of personal intention and motivation rather than external circumstances? My solution when walking in the UK tends to be wild camping or bivvying overnight, with low cost accommodation as a welcome plus when available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Good point. But when walking from LePuy to Conques, I stayed at some places and was swept up in a more "touristy world". People were on holiday and seemed more interested in shopping and complaining about this and that. That gets into the "What entails a pilgrimage?" question again.

Where can I get info on the legalities and norms of wild camping in the UK?

Where can I get info on the legalities and norms of wild camping in the UK?
The situation is quite complicated as the different countries of the UK have different laws. I do not know the position in Northern Ireland. In England and Wales wild camping without permission from the landowner is generally illegal. In more remote areas it is usually possible with discretion though: pitching late in the day and leaving early and leaving no trace. Scotland has more liberal laws closer in spirit to those of Norway and Sweden. Wild camping in open areas is specifically allowed under Scots law. This link gives more information: https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/Practical-guide/public/camping

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I started the CF on 1st May and finished 1st June this year, my first time. I stayed a few nights in Albergues, however gave up due to the obvious reasons and stayed in Pensions, Hostels, Hotels. The are advantages / disadvantages to both, however I dont regret mixing it up, and I have always found that you will always find a bed / room. Enjoy the trip, it is truly a wonderful and life changing experience, and in fact I am suffering so much from having done it that I am not still on it......

Chuck, how ya doing friend, hope you got back well......

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would book in advance we have walked 3 different sections of 3 different caminos and used the camino travel centre each time

Booking with a tour group, even with baggage transportation, can result in quite long stages each day. I like to walk SLOWLY. I cannot keep up with a group! I make my own way in short stages. I look at Gronze and Booking.com. Occasionally, I like to stay inn albergue which comes highly recommended!

Most read last week in this forum