This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

What is Oviedo like on a Sunday?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
Hello,

I was planning to give myself a full rest day in Oviedo to experience the city and see some sites before I begin the Primitivo.

Are most establishments and sites open on Sundays?

I’ll probably do my rest day on a Sunday or Monday.

Thank you,

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would say most things will be open. This could be a good reference

Oviedo, in my view, is a wonderful town and a joy to explore. Definitely worth a full day. I've been there 4 times now at the beginning / end of various caminos - and would go back in a heartbeat. A true gem.

Enjoy!

I love Oviedo, too! You mention possibly taking a rest day on a Monday. Just be aware that museums are generally closed on Mondays. I have missed out a few times over the years by arriving in a town or city only to find those "gems" closed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love Oviedo, too! You mention possibly taking a rest day on a Monday. Just be aware that museums are generally closed on Mondays. I have missed out a few times over the years by arriving in a town or city only to find those "gems" closed.
That's a good point - I'm more of a wanderer around the town, so didn't think of that. I'm sure you'll be able to easily to find out what's open and what's not on a Sunday and Monday. Either way I think you will discover many gems inside and outside!

I've found in Oviedo each time we've been there that 'the show is in the street'. They do seem to like a party. Last time I was there - there was not one but two weddings in the cathedral. The whole town, if not invited, seemed to join in. Wonderful.

Mike, Monday is almost invariably a bad day for a rest day if you hope to visit museums, art galleries etc. anywhere in Spain. Oviedo is an outstanding place for a rest day - the cathedral and its small museum, the nearby fine arts museum, the old town, various palaces and, a little further away, several ancient churches. Too much for a single day, in fact. But not on Mondays! The Tourist Information links given above are a must. Buen Camino. Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Twice, I spent a few days in Oviedo, and enjoyed it very much! Both times I stayed with air b n b hosts who were wonderful! And, oddly enough, since I'm not much of a museum person, I absolutely loved the museum in the cathedral both times! If one is able to get to the top of Monte Naranco, DO IT!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum