• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the cost of completing the Camino Portuguese?

BrookeChook

Time of past OR future Camino
Have completed all of Camino Frances 2013
I am looking at walking the CP next year late August and am wondering what an approximate cost would be to walk this in Euros or Aust Dollars. Including food and accommodation. I Would be looking at mainly staying in the Albergues.
Also are there albergues or hostels in most towns along the CP?
And lastly do you know what percentage of the route is on hard surface road and how much is on dirt tracks?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Starting in Lisbon, i dont know, but starting in Porto: If you walk the stages from, lets say, Brierleys guidebook (not a must, using a guidebook), you will always find an albergue, municipal or private. Prices will be from donativo to aprox 10 euros.

I believe that if you walk from Porto to Vila do Conde (the first day allong the coast out of Porto) there is no albergue in Vila do Conde. So you would have to find a b&b, hotel ect.
Of course this will be more expensive then an albergue (25-35), but avoiding to walk out of the centre of Porto to Vilarinho is well worth it. That walk is awfull an can be pretty dangerous and i dont say that quickly! Please dont do this, or at least take a bus/metro out of the city.

Portugal for food and drinks is (much) cheaper then Spain, but i think if you calculate aprox 30-35 euros per day for breakfast lunch dinner, some drinks and a bed you should be fine.
A coffee allong the way in Portugal can be as cheap as 0,60 cents. In Spain 1 euro is average i think.

Then a percentage of road walking? Pfjew, i could not put a number on that. For me it was not enough to get annoyed by. I guess thats the most important thing (?).
Maybe somebody else can put a number on it. I did find some of the road walking dangerous, now and then, but i also thought this about the Frances now and them.

I am looking at walking the CP next year late August and am wondering what an approximate cost would be to walk this in Euros or Aust Dollars. Including food and accommodation. I Would be looking at mainly staying in the Albergues.
Also are there albergues or hostels in most towns along the CP?
And lastly do you know what percentage of the route is on hard surface road and how much is on dirt tracks?
We walked Lisbon to Santiago last year with an average costsof about €50 per day.

The costs of living in Portugal are far lower than in Spain. Sometimes you'll find an albergue, sometimes a hostal
On the Lisbon to Porto leg you can stay at cheap places like the volontairy firebrigades bombeiros volontarios, the schoolcampus in Cernache and the casa Diosecana just outside Oliveira de Azameis

On the Porto Santiago leg there is casa da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piaes between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima where yourstay and food is donative.

There is a lot of information because your question appeared earlier on this forum. Just read back you have time enough as you mention you will walk next year.

Enjoy this forum and bom caminho

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back